Getting from EDI to NAP

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Getting from EDI to NAP

This spring Hubby and I are going to Europe to spread my mothers and fathers ash's, I've been trying to figure out a way to get from EDI to NAP, most of the major airlines have a horrible schedule, so I'm hoping the hive that FT is could help. I have miles in all alliances or should we take LCC?

TIA
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I suggest you go on either airport’s Wikipedia page, where you’ll fine a list of airlines that serve that airport directly. Then check out each airline.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:25 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
Just go Easyjet (EZ). They fly direct on Fridays and Mondays in March, increasing to 3/4 times a week in April/May. They are the best of the European LCCs, especially if you pay for the front row or an exit row (which comes with priority boarding etc). I hate LCCs as a rule (I don’t fly Ryanair), but EZ are absolutely fine and generally very efficient.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:13 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
easyJet or Jet2 are much of a muchness these days. Personally, I'd go for one of those way before taking a connecting flight. Just make sure you know the rules before you fly, especially around luggage and online check-in.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jmd
Just go Easyjet (EZ). They fly direct on Fridays and Mondays in March, increasing to 3/4 times a week in April/May. They are the best of the European LCCs, especially if you pay for the front row or an exit row (which comes with priority boarding etc). I hate LCCs as a rule (I don’t fly Ryanair), but EZ are absolutely fine and generally very efficient.
This is the problem, my travel date is not on a Monday or Friday.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
This is the problem, my travel date is not on a Monday or Friday.
Have you tried Thomas Cook Airlines, Thomson Airlines and Jet2 as well? I don’t know if they do fly this route, but they’re perhaps the most likely.

I’d also extend the search to look at flights from GLA, or into Rome, and doing a bit of travel at either end.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: BA
We flew into Ciampino from EDI on FR (I think), took one of the transfer buses to Roma Termini and then the express train to Naples (took one and a half hours I think). On the return the timetables worked to our advantage and there was a non-stop to EDI from NAP. But if you have heaps of miles, look at BA to LGW and then onto NAP - probably the easiest way, particularly in your circumstances.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Scots_Al

Have you tried Thomas Cook Airlines, Thomson Airlines and Jet2 as well? I don’t know if they do fly this route, but they’re perhaps the most likely.

I’d also extend the search to look at flights from GLA, or into Rome, and doing a bit of travel at either end.
Thanks I'll look into Thomas Cook

Originally Posted by expatboy
We flew into Ciampino from EDI on FR (I think), took one of the transfer buses to Roma Termini and then the express train to Naples (took one and a half hours I think). On the return the timetables worked to our advantage and there was a non-stop to EDI from NAP. But if you have heaps of miles, look at BA to LGW and then onto NAP - probably the easiest way, particularly in your circumstances.
I'm feeling this is going to happen, flying into Rome or Milan and taking a train. The BA route, is long, the quickest is just shy of 10 hours.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:40 am

I've been travelling to Naples multiple times a year for more years than I care to remember, and stay just across the Forth from EDI.

It used to be Prestwick to Rome Ciampino, followed by bus and train or car. Since then I've gone to CIA from EDI (and maybe GLA?) with FR, or NAP with easyJet since they started. If easyJet from EDI days don't suit I either go through STN or LGW with them, or through LGW with BA. easyJet have other options through mainland Europe if you want to plough through all the choices. Using the airport Wiki as mentioned is a good way to find common destinations.

It's a couple of years since I got the train from Rome, but seem to recall around 9.00pm was the last of the day.

Also make sure you have a Plan B. I've been in a bus crash in Rome between the railway station and the airport, and also stuck when a Ryanair flight from FRA came down hard after multiple bitd strikes, and blocked the runway for a couple of days.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:42 am

Why not try researching Skyscanner or Google Flights for alternatives?
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ft101
I've been travelling to Naples multiple times a year for more years than I care to remember, and stay just across the Forth from EDI.

It used to be Prestwick to Rome Ciampino, followed by bus and train or car. Since then I've gone to CIA from EDI (and maybe GLA?) with FR, or NAP with easyJet since they started. If easyJet from EDI days don't suit I either go through STN or LGW with them, or through LGW with BA. easyJet have other options through mainland Europe if you want to plough through all the choices. Using the airport Wiki as mentioned is a good way to find common destinations.

It's a couple of years since I got the train from Rome, but seem to recall around 9.00pm was the last of the day.

Also make sure you have a Plan B. I've been in a bus crash in Rome between the railway station and the airport, and also stuck when a Ryanair flight from FRA came down hard after multiple bitd strikes, and blocked the runway for a couple of days.
NOt too sure how this helps me, Thanks;
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by farci
Why not try researching Skyscanner or Google Flights for alternatives?
Simple, when using miles not all flights are available and most flights to purchase usually leave way too early in AM or later in the afternoon which means a over night stop. I thought my question was fairly straight forward.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
NOt too sure how this helps me, Thanks;
Sorry, too much history in trying to show my credentials on this exact route.

My current preferences are U2 direct or via LGW or STN, although options are available through other mainland Europe airports. They can be booked with EK miles if you have/can get them. Next would be BA through LGW. After that would be travelling to Rome on FR, then on to Naples.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.