Reload this Page >

ePassport Gates Master Thread [was: Opening up the e-Gates to new countries]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stut
ePassport gates, new countries, passport requirements, experience and wait times. Any volunteers?
Print Wikipost

ePassport Gates Master Thread [was: Opening up the e-Gates to new countries]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by christiang7
They have been able to use them for a long time if they are registered travellers.
I wish I could do this but on some years I don't meet the trip frequency criteria. After joyoys 4 and change hours in LHR T5 immigration line last year, I'll take egates with a heartbeat.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by GUWonder

I’m not going to renew RT, for what it worth. I’ve found RT useful enough (thanks in significant part to you)
You are very welcome, and I agree. I don't think I'll renew.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:47 pm

This is great news and I may finally be willing to book London via LHR instead of LCY. Currently, what is a typical expected wait for UK/EU passport holders who get to use the eGates at LHR?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:21 pm

It won’t go that way at UK airports. The egates currently in use will mainly remain in use and be applicable to at least adult citizens of the UK, EU/Schengen countries, US, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Japan; and it will not involve getting any US DHS APC/GE-like printout.
Well, I don't think US citizens will be able to use the egates in the same manor as EU citizens now. At a minimum, they will require a stamp. Perhaps they will have dedicated egates so they can stamp and at a minimum do spot interviews. Americans have always been subject to questioning when entering the UK, and I would be very surprised if this changes.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Well, I don't think US citizens will be able to use the egates in the same manor as EU citizens now. At a minimum, they will require a stamp. Perhaps they will have dedicated egates so they can stamp and at a minimum do spot interviews. Americans have always been subject to questioning when entering the UK, and I would be very surprised if this changes.
It already changed a few years ago when Registered Traveller began. Americans who signed up for this pass through the E-Gates without any questions or stamps. Plus this exists now in other EU countries even without signing up for a program.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
It already changed a few years ago when Registered Traveller began. Americans who signed up for this pass through the E-Gates without any questions or stamps. Plus this exists now in other EU countries even without signing up for a program.
You have to apply for Registered Traveler and presumably there is some vetting (not to mention that you have to have successfully entered the UK 4 times within the previous 24 months.) Allowing all non-vetted US citizens to enter without an interview is very different.

I have entered many EU countries with a US passport and the official just silently took the passport and stamped it. That has never been the case in the UK, there was always a question or two.

I guess we will find out - but my strong suspicion is that US passport holders will not get in without some interaction with an immigration officer.
AStarr likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
You have to apply for Registered Traveler and presumably there is some vetting (not to mention that you have to have successfully entered the UK 4 times within the previous 24 months.) Allowing all non-vetted US citizens to enter without an interview is very different.

I have entered many EU countries with a US passport and the official just silently took the passport and stamped it. That has never been the case in the UK, there was always a question or two.

I guess we will find out - but my strong suspicion is that US passport holders will not get in without some interaction with an immigration officer.
I have been a Schengen-LHR commuter — although not nearly as much as I’ve been a NYC-DC commuter — and more commonly than not I’ve been asked a question or two at LHR. But about 10-20% of the time they’ve asked me nothing at LHR when dealing with Fast Track or even when dealing with the regular staffed lines — the landing card filled out seemed to satisfy them those times.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they do away with the stamp for repeat visitors using the egates, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if they route adult US/CANADA/OZ/NZ/JAPAN passport users to a passport stamper right after egate use.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
As someone who had to spend a fair bit of time talking to the UK Border person last year (even though I was using Fast Track), I would definitely welcome the e-gates. We'll see how they're ultimately implemented in any case.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tmiw
As someone who had to spend a fair bit of time talking to the UK Border person last year (even though I was using Fast Track), I would definitely welcome the e-gates. We'll see how they're ultimately implemented in any case.
I have been subject to some extensive discussions with some of the UK border authorities as an ordinary American tourist or business visitor at times, but I also know that being supposedly enabled to use egates isn’t necessarily going to make all of those questions go away if for some reason the authorities want to ask more. I used to see less questions for myself and my travel party members as ordinary non-EU visitors before the current egates.

I have a very strong suspicion, and I’ll ask the relevant one about it, that they don’t want an embarrassing situation to take place whereby a flagged person from say the US gets into the UK via egate and commits a headline-grabbing crime associated to what a flagged person had done in the US. And thus they will need to do more than count on gate receptions and at times may have to suppress egate use by some visitors with passports from say the US.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been subject to some extensive discussions with some of the UK border authorities as an ordinary American tourist or business visitor at times, but I also know that being supposedly enabled to use egates isn’t necessarily going to make all of those questions go away if for some reason the authorities want to ask more. I used to see less questions for myself and my travel party members as ordinary non-EU visitors before the current egates.

I have a very strong suspicion, and I’ll ask the relevant one about it, that they don’t want an embarrassing situation to take place whereby a flagged person from say the US gets into the UK via egate and commits a headline-grabbing crime associated to what a flagged person had done in the US. And thus they will need to do more than count on gate receptions and at times may have to suppress egate use by some visitors with passports from say the US.
Given all that, why have other EU countries allowed E-Gate use for unregistered Americans? Not to mention Chinese, Japanese, Australians, Canadians, etc.

I suspect that these countries have access to databases that would block a particular passport from free entry. That when such a passport is scanned at the E-Gate, an alarm will go off and appropriate action taken.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
Given all that, why have other EU countries allowed E-Gate use for unregistered Americans? Not to mention Chinese, Japanese, Australians, Canadians, etc.

I suspect that these countries have access to databases that would block a particular passport from free entry. That when such a passport is scanned at the E-Gate, an alarm will go off and appropriate action taken.
Yes, they have access to databases to frustrate use of some passports issued to nationals of countries whose passports can often use the egates/ABC kiosks in the EU/Schengen areas. Even flagged passports of EU nationals can be inhibited from being accepted for egate entry at LHR. And that is why I have a very strong suspicion that the UK too will sometimes engage in stopping and questioning some US passport users using the egates.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold

I don't think that this is an issue. When waiting for the e-gates, I often see people fail to get through them. They are then directed to join a queue to see a Border Force agent. I think usually these are people who can't work the machines, but I have no doubt that people who have issues on their passports will also experience the same. As to US people, the US shares far more with the UK than any EU country does, so it would be a trivial task to program the e-gates accordingly, either globally or relying on the previously transmitted APIS information.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 2:36 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I don't think that this is an issue. When waiting for the e-gates, I often see people fail to get through them. They are then directed to join a queue to see a Border Force agent. I think usually these are people who can't work the machines, but I have no doubt that people who have issues on their passports will also experience the same. As to US people, the US shares far more with the UK than any EU country does, so it would be a trivial task to program the e-gates accordingly, either globally or relying on the previously transmitted APIS information.
I know how to use the e-gates, am in the registered traveler program, and would say that they fail at least half the time on my passport. The agent takes my passport, scans it, and typically shrugs their shoulders to indicate they have no clue why it failed. When they were doing the retinal scan thing, the same was true.
AStarr likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I know how to use the e-gates, am in the registered traveler program, and would say that they fail at least half the time on my passport. The agent takes my passport, scans it, and typically shrugs their shoulders to indicate they have no clue why it failed. When they were doing the retinal scan thing, the same was true.
WIth my old passport it would fail to scan the first or second time, but then would always work. But I got a new book this year and it works 100% of the time now. And I had kinda the same experience with Global Entry in the US. YMMV.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:02 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
That's the same for my UK issued passport. Works maybe 50% of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.