Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Headed to London in December

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Headed to London in December

Hey all, I could use some advice (and reassurance). I'm traveling to London solo in a few weeks. I stressed repeatedly about the hotel I should stay in. I didn't want to spend much since it was just me. I only need safe, clean, and near an easy way to get to tourists spots. I settled on the Park Grand in Kensington. Because I am flying in from elsewhere in Europe (there for work) I arrive at Gatwick and leave through Heathrow, so easy ways to get there from the hotel, also. Anyone have any experience with it?

I have read some of the FAQs (there are a lot...) and I will look into the Oyster card. I plan on going to the British museum, trying to find a Hop-on Hop-off bus and trying the Tower of London. Any other suggestions for what I should do if I only have 3 days? (I've searched for the standard 3 days in [insert city here] blogs, but I trust this community more.)

To sum up:
Is the Park Grand in Kensington safe, clean, and convenient to tourist stuff and in ways to get to Heathrow and Gatwick?
Any suggestions for what to do in three days?
What am I missing that I don't know to ask?

Thanks!
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Can't really help on the hotel as I don't know where it is. But, if it's near a tube station, then it shouldn't be too difficult to get around from there. Probably for your mooted itinerary, it would be better to be on the District Line rather than the Picadilly Line, but the whole system if efficient.

You don't need an Oyster Card, although it won't do you any harm. Any standard contactless credit or debit card works just fine (including from Gatwick), unless you are from the USA where they do things differently, apparently. From south of Hyde Park take the tube rather than the Heathrow Express to LHR, it's faster and much cheaper.

Your suggested itinerary looks absolutely fine but not knowing your tastes, it's difficult to offer any alternatives as they might be more interesting to you or not. Presumably you've chosen them because that's what you are interested in: if not, then choose dependent upon your interests. There's plenty to do in West London, so you don't particularly need to go all the way to the British Museum or the Tower.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:53 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Perception of safety and cleanliness depends on where you are from. Your hotel is relatively high-end and located in a relatively affluent area of London so you shouldn't need to worry. Reviews on Tripadvisor are mostly positive although Google reviews rate it 1.8 stars for Rooms. There are many hotels in that area so you will see a lot of other visitors.

You can get an Oyster card in the arrivals area of the South Terminal at Gatwick, then use it to take a Southern train to Victoria station, where you change to the Underground (tube) District Line to Earls Court station; the hotel is a short walk from there. From Earls Court you take the Piccadilly Line to Heathrow. If you have a contactless bank card, you can use it to pay for transport fares directly, in a similar way to an Oyster card.

A hop-on-hop-off bus is not really necessary unless you value the audio commentary and don't want to work out regular buses on your own.

There are so many things to do that it really depends on your interests. Museums, architecture, musicals, nightlife, parks, shopping...
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:41 pm

As for location, anything in central London is fine - because London has such effective public transport. All of central London is safe.
Your hotel choice wouldn't be mine - it's an area I find soulless - and it's not handy for arrival from Gatwick. You can do better - but if you've already paid it's not the end of the world.
You only need an oyster of you don't have a contactless card or Apple / Android Pay on your phone.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
As for location, anything in central London is fine - because London has such effective public transport. All of central London is safe.
Your hotel choice wouldn't be mine - it's an area I find soulless - and it's not handy for arrival from Gatwick. You can do better - but if you've already paid it's not the end of the world.
You only need an oyster of you don't have a contactless card or Apple / Android Pay on your phone.
I can cancel without fees so I'm happy to take suggestions. I picked it blindly based on price and reviews from Trip Advisor. I am always interested in more character, but for this trip (sans family) I probably am not willing to pay much more for it.

In terms of things I like to do I like history, but I also enjoy people watching, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't intend to take advantage of the fact that I am so close to so much good beer and whisky. I would love to find a pub that fits the romantic notion in my head of what they should look like. Generally, I'm really pretty open. I feel like I SHOULD do all the touristy things, but if there is something fun and unique then I am all about that. (And because the question was implied a couple of times, I am from the States).

Thanks again everyone!
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
I hate to sound like a stuck record, but you have a far far better idea of what you want to see and what interests you, than any of us on here.

For example: I’m from the UK but the ‘traditional British pub’ is my idea of hell.

I use the Lonely Planet travel app a lot, therefore I’d recommend you download that and get the London city guide (it’s free). You can then look at what’s around your part of London and judge if it sounds like your thing or not. I’ve just come back from my first trip to LA and I used the app to plan before and during. I could easily work out what I thought was good, interesting and downright awful.

As an aside, you’re only here for 3 days so don’t overdo it. Pick 1 big attraction per day and then build the rest of your daily plan around that. London is much quicker to get around than LA, for example, so you can criss-cross town if needed but wouldn’t recommend it, as you loose out on the neighbourhood nature of London.
trooper and dj_jay_smith like this.

Last edited by krispy84; Oct 20, 2018 at 5:40 am
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:43 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
From Gatwick you can get direct trains into multiple points in central London - Victoria, Blackfriars, St Pancras and London Bridge, so broadly South, East, North and South-East. There’s accommodation in all of those areas which would meet your requirements, and you’ll certainly find IHG properties in all of them, so doubtless the other chain hotels as well, alongside a very large number of independents.

If we assume the itinerary you outlined is not going to change dramatically, you’d be better staying closer to them even if it’s a few minutes longer back to Heathrow for your return flight. Kensington/Earl’s Court might be geographically much closer to LHR than the other areas, but on public transport it’s actually only a handful of minutes quicker. I would personally cancel and look elsewhere if you want to be closer to the British Museum and the Tower of London. Blackfriars or St Pancras would probably suit you.

It’s very difficult to define what a traditional British pub is - the Warrington Hotel in Maida Vale, the Blackfriar next to Blackfriars station, the Citte of Yorke on High Holborn and The Pride of Spitalfields off Brick Lane in east London would all qualify, but they’re all vastly different from each other in terms of size, architecture and clientele - yet I’d personally be perfectly comfortable drinking in all of them.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Oct 20, 2018 at 4:36 am
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Bring a warm coat and a sturdy umbrella.
enviroian likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hear the City Stay Hotel on Bow Road is popular!

One place to visit is Greenwich.
GregWTravels likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
A few tips:

Take at least one boat journey on the Thames. Ignore the tourist ones get the Thames Clipper public bus type boats.

The George Inn is a very old pub. Lots of character and very busy. Good for boozing and people watching.

Avoid steak restaurants. Londoners never set foot in them. But we do have some world class restaurants , do some research and enjoy some new cuisine.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by memesweeper
Avoid steak restaurants. Londoners never set foot in them.
That is a bit of an exaggeration. It would not be my thing but I would not say that Londoners never set foot in Hawksmoor, for instance. That said, yes, there are a number of high street chain steakhouses which are pretty dire and should be avoided..
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
I'm also in London in December, year end to New Years. I heard Tate Modern hosted a NYE event a couple back, does anyone know if anything similar is offered this year?

Hoping to focus on museums, restaurants (usually off 38eater) and some shopping. Main focus is the football though, and looking forward to at least 2-3 fixtures, including City Liverpool.
It seems Virgin train would be the fastest option getting to/from Manchester?

Last edited by YVRYEGYVR; Oct 21, 2018 at 11:02 pm Reason: added ?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:19 am

@YFRYEGYVR Yes, Virgin Trains is the fastest way between London and Manchester. Note that the cheaper "advance" fares haven't been released yet. If it's a late game, it may finish later than the trains, so you need accommodation in Manchester.
I'm not a football supporter - hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly. But two issues I'm aware of. (1) Matches do get shifted (especially start time) at the whim of TV networks (2) Tickets for high profile games are very hard to get and there are a huge number of scams about - are you sure your tickets are legit?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by NickB
That is a bit of an exaggeration. It would not be my thing but I would not say that Londoners never set foot in Hawksmoor, for instance. That said, yes, there are a number of high street chain steakhouses which are pretty dire and should be avoided..
The steakhouses to be avoided have neon signs, are located in central London and usually have the word Aberdeen or Angus in the name.

Originally Posted by ajalan
I would love to find a pub that fits the romantic notion in my head of what they should look like. Generally, I'm really pretty open. I feel like I SHOULD do all the touristy things, but if there is something fun and unique then I am all about that. (And because the question was implied a couple of times, I am from the States).
British pubs are a distinct improvement over similar venues in North America. No babbling server introducing themselves, "Hi, my name is Suzie and I'll be your server today," forcing specials on you, repeatedly interrupting you to see if you want another round and constantly scrapping for tips. Remember you order drinks at the bar and bring them to your table. Food is ordered at the bar and they bring it to you.

The bad news about pubs is many of them have been taken over by large chains and are depressingly similar in food and beverage options. FWIW, I've found the Fullers chain to be a little better than average.

For a first-time visitor to London looking for the pub ambiance try Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese. Mind the stairs. It's an old building and navigating them can be a bit challenging.

https://londonist.com/pubs/ye-olde-cheshire-cheese

If you are going to be in Kensington, the pubs I frequent are The Hereford Arms on Gloucester Road (arrive early because it gets VERY busy) or The Devonshire Arms on Marloes Road just south of Kensington High Street.

And make sure you have a map or lots of data on your smart phone for Google maps. London can be a somewhat confusing city to navigate.

Don't imagine you will see everything. I've visited London for business or pleasure over 20 times in the last 20 years and I still have lots left to see. I'm attending a conference there next week and can't wait to get back.

Last edited by Badenoch; Oct 22, 2018 at 6:45 am
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by rcspeirs
@YFRYEGYVR Yes, Virgin Trains is the fastest way between London and Manchester. Note that the cheaper "advance" fares haven't been released yet. If it's a late game, it may finish later than the trains, so you need accommodation in Manchester.
I'm not a football supporter - hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly. But two issues I'm aware of. (1) Matches do get shifted (especially start time) at the whim of TV networks (2) Tickets for high profile games are very hard to get and there are a huge number of scams about - are you sure your tickets are legit?

Thanks. That was actually a question I had that I couldnt find the answer to- regarding changing kick off times.
Ive only seen matches in Iberia where the final date/time are confirmed only a couple of weeks prior to kick off. But it rarely changes after this announcement.

I noticed for the city liverpool game, just recently the date and time changed, and it is the late night kick off at 2000hrs.
So we had to change itinerary around to stay in manchester that night.
I hope that thid date is now not subject to change!

as per websites, ive generally had good luck with some of the larger websites but sometimes its pulling teeth with cc to get them to permit the transaction, as is my issue right now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.