Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

US Passport, born in Ireland, can use EU-citizen Passport Control?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Passport, born in Ireland, can use EU-citizen Passport Control?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Amex Plat, Priority Pass, Hertz Gl, SPG Gold Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
This thread truly has disappeared off into the twilight zone ...
well, maybe to bring it back as the OP

A few days after I posted this, I followed my wife's itinerary to Dublin. I possess a US passport, which like hers, denotes that my birthplace is Ireland. Unlike my wife, I do not hold an EU passport, in fact for reasons I wont go into here, I am no longer a citizen of Ireland.

Upon reaching the Non-EU passport control booth, lo and behold the officer said exactly the same thing to me; when I pointed out that I was no longer an Irish citizen, he said it doesn't matter, the fact that I was born in Ireland is all that was needed.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

What was the flight trip routing?
Originally Posted by renault4
well, maybe to bring it back as the OP

A few days after I posted this, I followed my wife's itinerary to Dublin. I possess a US passport, which like hers, denotes that my birthplace is Ireland. Unlike my wife, I do not hold an EU passport, in fact for reasons I wont go into here, I am no longer a citizen of Ireland.

Upon reaching the Non-EU passport control booth, lo and behold the officer said exactly the same thing to me; when I pointed out that I was no longer an Irish citizen, he said it doesn't matter, the fact that I was born in Ireland is all that was needed.
Whether or not there is a need to fill out the following form, many a former Irish citizen born in Ireland can rather easily claim back Irish citizenship: https://www.dfa.ie/media/dfa/alldfaw...itizenship.pdf

Perhaps having a prima facie legal claim to Irish citizenship is sufficient to be admissible into Ireland?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:51 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Perhaps having a prima facie legal claim to Irish citizenship is sufficient to be admissible into Ireland?[/left]
This will become more difficult to administer in the future, as children who are presently 13 years or younger do not have a prima facie legal claim to Irish citizenship just by being born on Ireland.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by :D!
This will become more difficult to administer in the future, as children who are presently 13 years or younger do not have a prima facie legal claim to Irish citizenship just by being born on Ireland.
Yes, but presented non-Irish passports of persons born as Irish cirizens in Ireland do have birthdates that can be quickly used to determine if the persons were born before or after the relevant date some 13 years ago.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I believe it is a "thing" for the Garda.

While it is not a similar experience, I used a non-EU British Passport (i.e. no right to abode) entering DUB immigration. Because of my experience at LHR, I had the landing card ready and used the non-EU line. The Garda processing me torn off my landing card and simply visually inspected the Passport photo against me. And then the Garda let me go without scanning and stamping the passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.