Wiki Posts
Search

UK Passport renewal photo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
UK Passport renewal photo

Got to get my UK passport renewed this week and been looking on how to do it online.
I can upload a digital photo but what's the best way of doing this?

Previously, I used a photo booth and posted signed pictures off to the passport office (still got one left from 10 years ago), but I'm not sure if taking a selfie or something with my mobile phone is acceptable.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:33 am

Definitely no selfies - they make that quite clear. I helped a mate with one recently and we walked about at work until we found a pale grey partition wall for a background with > 1.5 meters clear in front of it for the phiographer. Snapped his head and shoulders with his phone (Passport Office crop it if required) and that was it.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Jessops used to do this. Don't know if they still do.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:30 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Some people now use the word "selfie" to mean any photo with people in it.

Anyway, if you can set up your equipment so that you are able to take a photo on your own, and have it look like a regular passport photo, there is no problem.

My father-in-law had 4 photos rejected before we finally succeeded. We had to edit the background with MSPaint...
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Jessops used to do this. Don't know if they still do.
They still do, and are excellent. They check all the rules (well known for UK passport admittedly, but very handy for other visas!), take a bunch of photos in the right light and background, pick the best and print/copy. It's only a few quid, and worth it for the lack of stress I'd say!
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I use my local Mail Boxes Etc store - same deal: their machine checks the pictures against the rules and gives me a choice of the acceptable ones. My choice is then printed and cropped to the right size or sent digitally.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
They still do, and are excellent. They check all the rules (well known for UK passport admittedly, but very handy for other visas!), take a bunch of photos in the right light and background, pick the best and print/copy. It's only a few quid, and worth it for the lack of stress I'd say!
We used them to do my daughter's British and American passports when she was a baby. It took a while for her to lay still to get the photo we needed but, it happened eventually!
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
No electronic copy so it can be submitted online?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Hi @xenole I am also looking to renew my passport at the end of this month. As well as the other suggestions above, I have been looking at Max Spielmann who also offer to do passport photos and give a digital copy for uploading when applying. I have also seen the ability to take your own photo and upload - but I am slightly nervous of it being rejected. I basically have a gap of about 3 weeks where i don't need the passport so if it doesn't get done then I have a problem!

https://www.maxphoto.co.uk/services/...rt-photographs
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:34 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I did my renewal the old fashioned way - photobooth and in-person application. Worked fine.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Maybe I'm a bit vain, but the photoboth pics made me look older than I will be when the passports expire!! I went to Snappy Snaps and got a set from there. They show you on their screen before printing them out so if you're not happy you can go again.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Went to Max Spielmann and got a picture take today.

So, to renew my passport online is has cost me:

£75.50 for a 34 page passport
£9.99 for the photos / digital photos from Max Spielmann
69p for a padded envelope to send my passport in to the passport office as they won't process an application without it
£6.50 to send it Special Delivery (sure you could use normal post for less than £1? if you're not bothered about it going missing)

Just under £93 for an online application.
Might as well have paid the Post Office £94.75 for them to do it for me in one go rather than driving about etc.

Added: Took about 4 days in total in the end. Email saying my old passport had arrived and processing was beginning 2 days after I sent it on the 11th and it arrived on the 15th. Lucky I didn't decide to pay £180? for a same day turnaround.

Last edited by xenole; Sep 18, 2018 at 1:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.