Wiki Posts
Search

"You can bring in other goods worth up to £390"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:14 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

"You can bring in other goods worth up to £390"

The quote in the subject line is from <https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/arrivals-from-outside-the-eu>. Is that £390 per item or total? If it's total, it seems like many travelers would go over the limit. Even if it's per item, many computers and even some suitcases cost that much by themselves. There does not seem to be any exemption for a non-commercial visitor carrying only items for personal use.

Am I misreading something? How many people bring in other goods worth over £390? How many declare the goods?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Firstly, it refers to goods which will stay in the U.K, so the business person need not declare the laptop that will leave with them.

Secondly, of course not many declare when they are over the limit. When the pound was worth 2US$, you were kind of expected to come back from the States with more than that.

As with most countries, it’s a combination of not taking the pee and not getting caught.

Last edited by Scots_Al; Aug 10, 2018 at 4:18 pm
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
please use the proper format for links. putting < > around them helps no one.

The allowance is in total, Which is what is says in the link. And that you quote in the thread title.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
And the total is more generous than many countries.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:30 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
When the pound was worth 2US$, you were kind of expected to come back from the States with more than that.
Isn't it easier to arrive from the US with greater than £390 of goods when it's only $500 as opposed to $800? (But the limit was only £340 in 2007)

Yes, practically everybody will have goods over £390, but the allowance doesn't apply to goods that were purchased in the UK with tax paid. Technically goods with duty paid should be registered with HMRC before departing the UK, but if everyone did that there wouldn't be enough time or staff to do anything else.

Customs in the UK is intelligence-led.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:24 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by :D!
Technically goods with duty paid should be registered with HMRC before departing the UK, but if everyone did that there wouldn't be enough time or staff to do anything else.
It sounds like I'm reading the wrong web page. I had assumed the limit applied to non-UK citizens visiting the UK; you make it sound like it's for UK citizens returning to the UK.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:50 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by serpens
It sounds like I'm reading the wrong web page. I had assumed the limit applied to non-UK citizens visiting the UK; you make it sound like it's for UK citizens returning to the UK.
The limit applies to everyone but it’s only for goods that remain in the UK (i.e. are permanently imported). Obviously in 99.9% of cases, this will apply to UK residents (not citizens) rather than tourists or business visitors.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:52 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by serpens
I had assumed the limit applied to non-UK citizens visiting the UK; you make it sound like it's for UK citizens returning to the UK.
Not sure why you would assume that citizenship has anything to do with it. UK citizens may live abroad and be visiting the UK, and non-citizens may live in the UK and be returning from a short visit to another country.

As mentioned, the limits apply to everybody entering the UK, but a tourist doesn't need to worry about their personal possessions that they will bring home with them.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:07 am

To be fair to OP, the webside makes no mention of the 'remaining in the UK' point.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by :D!
Isn't it easier to arrive from the US with greater than £390 of goods when it's only $500 as opposed to $800? (But the limit was only £340 in 2007.
Yes of course it is. But you are less incentivised to go shopping abroad when it is more expensive to do so!
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:23 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
To be fair to OP, the webside makes no mention of the 'remaining in the UK' point.
Thank you. If the website had mentioned that, this thread would not exist.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: MUCCI
I've never come across anyone interpreting it the way you did.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
The limit applies to everyone but it’s only for goods that remain in the UK (i.e. are permanently imported). Obviously in 99.9% of cases, this will apply to UK residents (not citizens) rather than tourists or business visitors.
it still applies to,goods remaining in the Eiropean Union, not only in the UK.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
It's another over-simplified gov.uk web page which is so dumbed-down that it leaves out essential information.

The essential information is that the limit is for goods that remain in the UK (or rest of EU).
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It has absolutely nothing to do with citizenship, purely goods remaining in country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.