Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Passport has very unusual marks on data page?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

I have just received my passport after going through the nightmare of getting it countersigned twice due to an error. I am inspecting my passport right now and on the data page there is black dots and there even looks like there is a hair to the top-right of my photo below the word 'Passport' it looks awfully a lot like a hair. Is this a security feature or what? I am extremely worried as I would hate to have to get this replaced. It may look like a small mark but it's already been a huge pain with the application and I would hate to get it countersigned again. Please someone clear my worries

Imgur picture (after the .com) /a/39HzhcL

It's a brand new passport and I very very much doubt it somehow got in there
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I would contact the passport office and say you want them to issue it again as you don't feel it is of high enough quality.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I would contact the passport office and say you want them to issue it again as you don't feel it is of high enough quality.
My fear is that they will say it's damaged or something along that and require me to find a countersignature, do they actually make exceptions for renewal fees? Are you speaking from experience?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
The small black lines are definitely security features. The photos are barely recognisable on modern passports, being overlaid and underlaid with lots of other patterns and graphics that are designed to be hard to replicate for security reasons. The vast majority of country borders will swip the chip and use the biometric information (photo and other info) provided on screen. I would only complain if you can actually feel the laminate has a bump; I suspect it is just printed.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Do you think that is the case for the photo I linked?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by konagirl2
The small black lines are definitely security features. The photos are barely recognisable on modern passports, being overlaid and underlaid with lots of other patterns and graphics that are designed to be hard to replicate for security reasons. The vast majority of country borders will swip the chip and use the biometric information (photo and other info) provided on screen. I would only complain if you can actually feel the laminate has a bump; I suspect it is just printed.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by katsu1
I have looked at your photo and can't see anything that doesn't look like part of the background pattern. Be aware that those markings behind and on top of your photo involve a lot of complicated patterns that appear as holograms or fluoresce under UV light so you will not be seeing the full pattern under normal light. Within the bit you've circled in red I can see faint little dashes that are part of a series of thin lines and also something that might be part of a flower. Not sure what you mean by a hair but the curved line that starts under the RT of PASSEPORT is clearly part of the design as it has little flags coming off it. If you mean the thicker blue and red lines above and below the T of PASSPORT those are security fibres.

If you want to know more about the designs and security features of the current passport design there's a very comprehensive document here: https://assets.publishing.service.go...O_magazine.pdf
ajGoes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.