Search

LHR transit questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:36 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by CoolTourist
I have a connection question regarding meeting up with a family member at Terminal 2. Our flights arrive 40 minutes apart from US and Germany. I will arrive on United and my family on Lufthansa. We both have luggage that we will need to store at Heathrow and then head to central London via HEX for daytime sightseeing before coming back to Heathrow in the evening for onward journey with SWISS. Does anyone know the least complicated and time efficient way to meet up at T2?
Unless you need to retrieve something from your checked bags, it is highly likely they can be checked through from the UA and LH flights onto the LX flight, even on separate tickets, so there may not be any need for luggage storage.

T2 arrivals area is not that big and there is only one way out so just choose somewhere from the map (arrivals area is on the last but one page) https://www.heathrow.com/file_source...row_T2_Map.pdf
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
If your sightseeing is around Paddington, then HEx is a good plan. On the other hand (as is more likely) if you're planning to visit areas around Westminster and the Thames, HEx is just an expensive way of getting to the wrong part of London. Using piccadilly / district lines will be far cheaper and (because it takes you to where you need to be) about the same time.
Heathrow has free wifi so you can message each other on arrival, but in your shoes I'd just head straight to the left luggage store and meet there.
Our plan is to take UBER from Paddington to Westminster area.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by :D!
Unless you need to retrieve something from your checked bags, it is highly likely they can be checked through from the UA and LH flights onto the LX flight, even on separate tickets, so there may not be any need for luggage storage.

T2 arrivals area is not that big and there is only one way out so just choose somewhere from the map (arrivals area is on the last but one page) https://www.heathrow.com/file_source...row_T2_Map.pdf
Is it possible to check-in luggage in the arrival area at T2? In my home airport once you clear customs bags can be rechecked with the airline without dragging them up to departures level.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
No there isn't the same bag drop system as in e.g. the US because the vast majority of peoples luggage is checked through to their final destination.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Our plan is to take UBER from Paddington to Westminster area.
Bad idea. Tube to Westminster is going to take the same time and a fraction of the cost. Uber logistics at Paddington are a pain.

If you want to avoid the tube the. An Uber straight to Westminster will be about £40, ie less than two HEX tickets
BearX220 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
No there isn't the same bag drop system as in e.g. the US because the vast majority of peoples luggage is checked through to their final destination.
Our connection time is over 10 hours. I’m not sure if LHR has a cut off on how many hours they can keep luggage between connections. In any case, I’ll ask United to check it all the way through final destination.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Bad idea. Tube to Westminster is going to take the same time and a fraction of the cost. Uber logistics at Paddington are a pain.

If you want to avoid the tube the. An Uber straight to Westminster will be about £40, ie less than two HEX tickets
I was able to book 90 day advance tickets for HEX, so cost and time wise it made sense. I’ll consider the tube option from Paddington, but if 2 tickets cost similar to Uber, then I go with Uber.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Our connection time is over 10 hours. I’m not sure if LHR has a cut off on how many hours they can keep luggage between connections. In any case, I’ll ask United to check it all the way through final destination.
It's not LHR per se but your airline and the tickets you have that matter.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
It's not LHR per se but your airline and the tickets you have that matter.
All flights are with Star Alliance, so I’ll find out first hand if they can streamline the process. A few months back LH staff in Frankfurt tried in vain to check my luggage to its final destination because my next 2 flights were with SAS and on a separate reservation.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:50 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G

It is not onerous to drag the bags upstairs at LHR T2 if they need to be rechecked. There are lifts and escalators.

Usually bags can be stored for up to 24 hours. It would not be that unusual to have a UA flight connecting to an LX flight on a single ticket 10 hours later where you would expect bags to be checked through (though most people might choose a shorter layover). What is a bit more unusual is your relative apparently flying Germany-UK-Switzerland?

LX has flights departing throughout the day so not unreasonable to receive bags for an evening flight in the morning (some people might want to spend the day working in the lounge, or lounge-hopping)
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
It is not onerous to drag the bags upstairs at LHR T2 if they need to be rechecked. There are lifts and escalators.

Usually bags can be stored for up to 24 hours. It would not be that unusual to have a UA flight connecting to an LX flight on a single ticket 10 hours later where you would expect bags to be checked through (though most people might choose a shorter layover). What is a bit more unusual is your relative apparently flying Germany-UK-Switzerland?

LX has flights departing throughout the day so not unreasonable to receive bags for an evening flight in the morning (some people might want to spend the day working in the lounge, or lounge-hopping)
Our final destination is not Switzerland. We are flying SWISS to South Africa. London is our meeting point and we wanted to explore it during daytime. Thus, the issue of how to meet, store (or check-in?) luggage, and travel to central London came up. I typically don't fly through London and for me it is not an easy airport to navigate, especially with terminal transfers. Thats why I wanted for us to meet at T2 - where LH and UA are stationed. Because it is a complicated itinerary our LH and UA flights are not on the same reservation with our SWISS flight to South Africa.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
Hi we are landing on an Air India flight scheduled to arrive T2 @ 10:15 AM. We plan to take a flight to iceland the next flight from T2 is at 1:05 PM with iceland air. Is it a safe enough bet. I have seen news of long immigration lines at LHR. FYI this is early May we would be coming in. We can also take the next flight out would be at T2 9:00 PM which would mean a really long layover of 11 hours. Not sure if Iceland Air would take luggage so early and leave us to visit some part of London. Thanks for your inputs.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CCU_Flyer
Hi we are landing on an Air India flight scheduled to arrive T2 @ 10:15 AM. We plan to take a flight to iceland the next flight from T2 is at 1:05 PM with iceland air. Is it a safe enough bet. I have seen news of long immigration lines at LHR. FYI this is early May we would be coming in. We can also take the next flight out would be at T2 9:00 PM which would mean a really long layover of 11 hours. Not sure if Iceland Air would take luggage so early and leave us to visit some part of London. Thanks for your inputs.
This sounds like it would be two separate bookings?

With checked bags I imagine Air India will not check any bags through on to a separate booking on Icelandair so on arrival at T2 you would have to go through immigration, collect your bags, go up to check in, check your nags in for the Icelandair flight, and go through security. Is there any chance you would have fast track immigration from Air India - so based on cabin or status? Also as you are going through immigration you need to ensure you have an appropriate passport and (if needed) visa for entering the UK.

This should be fine in just under 3 hours but as these are separate bookings if your Air India flight is delayed and you end up missing your Icelandair flight, neither airline will be responsible for helping you and you would have to make a new booking. You need to asses how much risk you are happy with, in normal circumstances with little delay I would think 3 hours should be fine. But delays of an hour or more are not unusual and if it happens then you would face buying an expensive new ticket. Going for the later flight obviously gives you much more padding with this transit but as you note 11 hours is quite a long time.

If it is possible not to do this with checked bags your transit would be much easier since you could stay airside and you would not need to go through immigration. You would just do security and that would be it.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
I have star gold status. Is that of any help at immigration? We are 2 people traveling together would it be advisable to have the luggage in one name and so it would only be me going through the hoops to get the luggage and check it in again and try to catch the flight, while my spouse waits for me airside? We would be staying in London on our return so we would be having the multiple entry visa for U.K.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Status and or cabin class can get you to the priority immigration line but it is airline dependent because they pay for the service and not all do. So best check with Air India on that.

As to luggage that would depend on if your baggage allowance covers you for checking in both with one person for free (or you are willing to pay any fees for going over the limit).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.