The Shard restaurants & bar security?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA

We went there for a colleagues work leaving drinks, but because we refused to go through security and have our privacy violated, we was not allowed in. Instead we went to another bar nearby which did have all this stupid security theater. reading reviews on Tripadvisor, I noticed that some people are not searched, maybe they slipped a tenner into the security guards pocket?
Old May 20, 2018, 1:23 pm

London has been living with and adapting to terrorism for decades. There are compromises with privacy that go with that adaptation. The Shard is a high profile building so of course you can expect some screening..
Exactly what do you suggest they do....?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
Curious exactly what privacy would be violated by a quick metal scan to show you're carrying neither firearm nor explosive?
trooper and Silver Fox like this.
Old May 20, 2018, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What specific data were you being asked to provide and what do they do with that data? If this is simply stepping through a mag or being "wanded" I'm not sure I understand the concern.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
I didn't really want the risk of having my balls fondled TSA style.
Old May 20, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
I've not been up to Aqua or anything else up there in a while and don't remember specifically what security arrangements they had, but usually it's just a quick bag check and maybe a metal detector for most high-profile spots in London. Definitely nothing as intrusive as an airport. OP's complaint seems like a lot of fuss about nothing, but whatever suits. I'm sure the spurned bar didn't notice the loss of business.
Old May 20, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Originally Posted by GodAtum
You really won't experience that at non-airport security. I'm anti security theatre as much as anyone else, but I've found security checks at sports venues, bars, and public transport to be very reasonable.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
, maybe they slipped a tenner into the security guards pocket?
Two totally unfounded accusations. You make yourself look petty and ridiculous.

Have you contacted the management of the shard to make them aware of your issues?? Probably not because it's just easier to post here.

They even say on their website about security Did you bother to read that?
Old May 20, 2018, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
And yet, according to your profile, you seem happy to provide personal data to several airlines as part of participation in their FF programmes, and also subject yourself to airport security around the world.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
We went there for a colleagues work leaving drinks, but because we refused to go through security and have our privacy violated, we was not allowed in.
I'm guessing that was a group that doesn't get out much. Entertainment and sports venues in the UK often have entry security checks, as do many high-profile buildings. Generally the check is light, a walk-through or wand aimed at detecting metal: perhaps a manual check of bags.

Bless
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 11:13 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
On this basis, the OP will now never be able to visit a museum in London or attend a professional football match in England or Wales.

The fact is that high profile buildings and events are potential terrorist targets. It’s possible to build a device that would cause considerable damage in something small and seemingly insignificant that would easily fit in a bag or coat pocket. X-rays and/or bag searches are a proportionate response to the risk - what is more important is that the security personnel are trained to recognise explosive devices, not that we are held up for a few seconds.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 2:23 am
Original Poster

It would be nice if it was consistent. Either search everyone or not at all.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
It would be nice if it was consistent. Either search everyone or not at all.
I've never seen any casual guest at the Shard (and at the Gherkin for that matter) not being searched. Those who work there obviously go through the main entrance with their building pass, but they've been vetted when they were issued with said building pass and I´m cool with that. As is anyone else.

PS your location is "UK"? Really? Because I´m surprised at your reaction, given that there´s not very many countries, certainly not in Europe, where security is as tight as in the UK and has been for decades (remember the "Troubles" and the "Ring of Steel" in the City?).
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 5:20 am

I really don't understand your reluctance to go through a simple security check? I have never, as you so delicately put it, "had my balls fondled" by any security agent either in an airport or outside.

Do you have any other reason for not wanting it or do you have something to hide?

If I was a security guard, there would be few things as suspicious as someone slipping me a tenner to avoid a search.
Old May 21, 2018, 7:48 am

Given the OP's concerns about privacy, I wonder if they should even be using the internet?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.