Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Trains Validation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Virgin Trains Validation

Quick question - we have pre-booked seats from London to Manchester and back on Virgin Trains. We already have the tickets in hand. When we were in Germany, you had to validate your ticket prior to boarding. Does Virgin Trains require you to pre-validate, and if so - what should we look for in a machine?

Thank you in advance!
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Silver
No, this is not something which happens in the UK.
At some stations there will be a ticket check before you are able to get to the train (either human or machine), but don’t worry at all if not.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Indeed - and is something that often catches Brits out when travelling in Europe as we are not at all used to it.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 4:11 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
As the OP says their tickets are "in hand" there should be no problems.

But if you buy certain UK train tickets via a mobile app, including Virgin Trains app, then you do need to take the separate step of "activating" them before you have a valid ticket.

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Indeed - and is something that often catches Brits out when travelling in Europe as we are not at all used to it.
And some Europeans are caught out when buying UK tickets online as they don't realise they still need to pick them up before travelling.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the replies!!! :-)
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Whatever you do, if you are holding an "Advance" ticket make sure you are on the correct train. There is rarely any leeway for errors.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sealink
Whatever you do, if you are holding an "Advance" ticket make sure you are on the correct train. There is rarely any leeway for errors.
Duly noted. Thanks!
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by Sealink
In fairness to Virgin I have found them to be one of the more reasonable train companies when you make a genuine mistake. I travel a lot for work on the trains and mistakes happen. A few years back I made a howler of mistake and didn't realise until the ticket check at Euston that my advance ticket home was for the wrong day. My advance ticket wasn't cheap and the guard just wrote some secret code on it to indicate to any ticket inspector that all was well. I've also missed my advanced train by 5 minutes due to traffic and usually they have only charged a very modest fee or waived the fee altogether. I've even lost a return ticket and a few minutes later theyve issued me a free replacement. I suspect the pinch might come if you were trying to travel on a really expensive service with a cheap ticket "due to a mistake" they might play hard ball.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 3:00 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
In fairness to Virgin I have found them to be one of the more reasonable train companies when you make a genuine mistake.
VTWC has let me travel on an earlier service using an Advance ticket when I turned up 1 hour before my booked train.

VTEC let me travel in 1st class for free when a Scotrail strike meant I had no seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.