Reload this Page >

Dublin, where to stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dublin, where to stay

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2022, 8:45 am

Hi. I didn't want to start another thread, but I am assuming some of the information in this thread is dated.

I'll have two full days in Dublin in January. Looking for lodging recommendations - 3-5 *. I want to stay either within walking distance (or short public/taxi transportation) of the main sights. I am not a night owl, so late night pubbing is not a factor.

Any suggestions from anyone with a recent stay?

Thank you and safe travels!
Old Nov 25, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold
The Gibson is a decent modern hotel, not that central but next to a tram stop with direct line to the centre.
lamphs likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 1:14 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Whilst slightly outside your 3-5* requirement, don't rule out the Holiday Inn Express, which you'll likely pick up for under €100 in January. If you saw their summer pricing this year you'd consider it an absolute steal!

Its location is fantastic, on O'Connell Street and just a couple of minutes walk from the Post Office - a key building in the 1916 Easter Rising. Bus services to and from the airport go past the door. It's a relarively recent addition to the city, so although officially it'd be 2* the rooms are clean and in good condition, and the showers work well, so you're getting most of the things you'd expect in a 3*. You're not going to get a full Irish breakfast, of course, but if you need that put the money saved into buying it elsewhere.
lamphs likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 3:57 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I stayed here many years ago, but assume it is still nice - central, 4 star hotel - Camden Court Hotel.
lamphs likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 5:35 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Whilst slightly outside your 3-5* requirement, don't rule out the Holiday Inn Express, which you'll likely pick up for under €100 in January. If you saw their summer pricing this year you'd consider it an absolute steal!

Its location is fantastic, on O'Connell Street and just a couple of minutes walk from the Post Office - a key building in the 1916 Easter Rising. Bus services to and from the airport go past the door. It's a relarively recent addition to the city, so although officially it'd be 2* the rooms are clean and in good condition, and the showers work well, so you're getting most of the things you'd expect in a 3*. You're not going to get a full Irish breakfast, of course, but if you need that put the money saved into buying it elsewhere.
I'll second this recommendation, having stayed there this past May. Very convenient, and a very well run hotel. 100 euro is about 50 less than I paid in May, and I thought it was money well spent. At 100 euro, it is a steal.
lamphs likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
You didn't mention a budget, but the Conrad would be solid choice. Top notch accommodations and service and 1/2 block from St Stephen's Green. Also the Hilton. Not near anything specifically but a very nice location along the canal and adjacent to the Luas station (tram), which will take you anywhere you want to go in the center.
lamphs and Visconti like this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer

Thanks for the HIX recommendation! I stayed for 3 nights. Great for walking to all of the sites and then some. Everything as expected for a HIX, but certainly a better breakfast than the USA HIX standard. (Although I assume that supply chain issues existed because one morning there wasn’t any juice.) My only issue in Dublin was the taxi from the airport. I should be able to trust a metered taxi in a developed city. Nope. He used the meter, but somehow it was a 55 Euro ride. The return trip was about 28 Euros. I asked the return driver about the difference. He told me that the ride should never cost more than 30 Euros between the city center and DUB and "you were taken for a ride". He suggested that I submit a compliant to the government taxi board. I'll have to look at my credit card charge to see if I have enough information.

(Also, Aircoach bus has a stop directly across the street from the hotel and runs on a regular schedule. I chose not to use it because I had several checked bags.)
NWIFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 12:52 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I'm pleased the recommendation worked out. I'm afraid I've only once taken a taxi from close to the airport to the city centre, and that was when a group of us ran the marathon in 2019 and it was too early for public transport, and it certainly wasn't anything like €55. I also once arrived too late in the evening for the hotel shuttle bus, and an approximate 3 mile journey after midnight was €10.

Every other of many rides has been using public transport, but I'd tend to agree - something happened that shouldn't have done, and based on my limited experience the fare should be somewhere between €20-30 Euros depending on traffic. I can only think the driver went down the M50 and through every toll point going. That is completely unnecessary and saves only a couple of minutes normally.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I'll second this recommendation, having stayed there this past May. Very convenient, and a very well run hotel. 100 euro is about 50 less than I paid in May, and I thought it was money well spent. At 100 euro, it is a steal.
They want 193 euros for a weeknight in May.
No point availability!

dh
Old Feb 13, 2023, 10:19 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by dhammer53
They want 193 euros for a weeknight in May.
No point availability!

dh
We certainly know that hotel prices around the world have had wide variability in the last year. Last November on the weekend before Thanksgiving, it was nearly impossible to book a one-night stay in Manhattan for less than $500. I've stayed there at roughly the same time in years past for less than $150 as we use the Thanksgiving week for flights to Europe and arrive the day before our departing flight.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 2:11 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
A family of 4 (parents with 2 teens) arriving and departing at DUB T2 with 16:35 hours of layover. Arrival late with scheduled landing at 10:35PM.
Should we go to town or stay at an airport hotel?
Which hotel would you pick?

Thank you!
Old Jul 11, 2023, 5:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by Kalboz
A family of 4 (parents with 2 teens) arriving and departing at DUB T2 with 16:35 hours of layover. Arrival late with scheduled landing at 10:35PM.
Should we go to town or stay at an airport hotel?
Which hotel would you pick?

Thank you!
Are you flying to the US the following day? If not, then you could stay in the city and comfortably have time to look around the city centre and get some breakfast the following morning. If you're flying to the US you'll need to be there significantly earlier, so may be easiest to just stay near the airport.

Any of the above options in the city centre will work well if you stay there - it really depends on availability and how crazy the rates are...
Kalboz likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 6:06 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by ieChicago
Are you flying to the US the following day? If not, then you could stay in the city and comfortably have time to look around the city centre and get some breakfast the following morning. If you're flying to the US you'll need to be there significantly earlier, so may be easiest to just stay near the airport.

Any of the above options in the city centre will work well if you stay there - it really depends on availability and how crazy the rates are...
We are flying EI53 Aer Lingus DUB-SEA at 3:10PM local time and aware that we should be checking in at DUB around noon.
Is it worth it to stay the night in town with such a short layover?
Or, airport hotel with decent breakfast should suffice?

Thanks again
Old Jul 11, 2023, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Kalboz
We are flying EI53 Aer Lingus DUB-SEA at 3:10PM local time and aware that we should be checking in at DUB around noon.
Is it worth it to stay the night in town with such a short layover?
Or, airport hotel with decent breakfast should suffice?

Thanks again
You'll comfortably squeeze in 3 hours sightseeing and still be at the airport in good time by staying in the city centre. Obviously this is based on whether this is actually an attractive proposition to your travelling party and you haven't seen all you want to see in Dublin before. But if you're not bothered by seeing the city then by all means stay in an airport hotel. My only question is that none of the airport hotels (as least that I'm aware of) are particularly luxurious to lounge around and check out is likely 11am so 4+ hours at the airport is a little too long for me personally.

IN terms of city centre hotel locations, I would suggest it depends on budget and what sights you want to see. Around St Stephens Green is probably best for general wandering, but will come at a cost.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 9:38 am

Thank you - we never been to Ireland.

Looking at Google maps, St Stephen's Green in Dublin is about 10-minutes walk from the Radisson Blu Royal. St Patrick's Cathedral is even closer. We have plenty of Radisson points (340K) and currently they are asking for 110K points per room per night including breakfast. The airport Radisson Blu is asking for 80K points for the same - we would need 2 rooms for comfort, privacy, etc.

The only challenge, I'd imagine, is getting into town late at night from the airport and return the next day plus the associated costs.

Whaddaya think?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.