Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ex-DUB to US

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2017, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NeedstoFly

This isn’t correct. The link you share shows that the visa exemption is only valid for an airside transit. OP has to go landslide.
Why do I have to go landslide?

I know that in Ireland everyone has to go through immigration due to the layout of the airport.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Aztec_Flyer
According to the Irish immigration service website, a visa is not required for a Mauritian citizen travelling through an airport in Ireland en route to another flight. You can check further here:
Check if you need a visa

I’d suggest having a printed copy of this page with you when checking in.
It says nothing of the sort, although it is admittedly poorly-written.

It is entirely consistent with what is reported above in detail. If no airside transit is possible, OP must then obtain a short-term visa. No airside transit is possible.

This is perhaps an accident of architecture, but is one which exists at many airports around the world, including LHR, where the existence of a corridor, train or whatever makes the difference between a visa which may or may not be obtainable.

In OP's case, he can't do an xEU via DUB without an Irish visa. He may want to research other EU gateways which have better arrangements, or make arrangements for a visa.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by dolceguess4

Why do I have to go landslide?

I know that in Ireland everyone has to go through immigration due to the layout of the airport.
You have answered your own question!

Once you have gone through immigration you are landside!
Old Dec 25, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Are any LHR-DUB flights available that arrive into T2 in DUB, and does this still allow for transit without visa due to the design of the connector between terminals? I know that as of 2015, my partner could arrive on AA into T2 and airside transit to BA in T1 without an ROI visa, although it's not possible in the other direction. This would depend on through-checking bags or hand-baggage only though.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:39 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by NeedstoFly
If u want to skip the Irish visa req, u could fly to Belfast and take a bus to Dublin. I don’t think there’s a visa check for land crossings and there isn’t one exiting Ireland.
Mauritian citizens require a visa to enter Ireland by bus. Whether it is checked or not is immaterial.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Once you have gone through immigration you are landside!
Umm, no, certainly not the case at LHR (due to the existence of flight connections immigration) or many larger Schengen airports (e.g. CPH, ARN). I can't exactly remember for DUB but I thought there was an airside transit route, just that it requires you to pass through Irish immigration to access it.

Last edited by :D!; Dec 26, 2017 at 2:44 am
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Based on my research I do not need a visa to transit in Dublin.

However the question is if arriving at terminal 1 and going through immigration is considered as going landslide even if I am only transiting there.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 3:01 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
However the question is if arriving at terminal 1 and going through immigration is considered as going landslide even if I am only transiting there.
It doesn't matter whether it is considered landside. You need a visa to go through immigration.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 3:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have booked a cheap DUB to LAX flight and I am getting slightly worried about my passport situation.

I am intending to take the first flight from LHR at 6.30 am to DUB which lands at 8 am.

The next flight from DUB to LHR (as part of my ex-EY to the US) is departing at 10.30am. I believe that 2.5 hrs between the flights will give me plenty of time to connect (I will only have hand luggage).
Why would you fly from LHR to DUB at 6:30am only to return to LHR 2.5 hours later?? How does that fit into your cheap DUB to LAX one-way itinerary?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
It doesn't matter whether it is considered landside. You need a visa to go through immigration.
Wouldn’t a transit visa be sufficient (which I do not need to apply to according to the Irish website)?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Analise
Why would you fly from LHR to DUB at 6:30am only to return to LHR 2.5 hours later?? How does that fit into your cheap DUB to LAX one-way itinerary?
Because it can, due to marketing, be cheaper to start a trip elsewhere (say Dublin) than your desired start point (say London) as the airlines (in this case BA) want people to travel via their hub instead of another airlines. Even allowing for the extra costs of positioning flights and a possible over night in an hotel. Part of the saving of starting a trip in DUB or AMS (or several other EU hubs) is that UK APD won't apply though that is only a relatively small part of the savings (y calculations is that only 20% of the savings are due to APD and the rest due to airline pricing)

An example is that last September I started a trip to SFO from DUB (via LCY and JFK) in Business that as 50% of the price of flying - on the same flights - LCY-JFK-SFO. So even allowing for the separately booked flights to DUB and a hotel I made a considerable saving.

These trips are not without a little risk but the savings are worthwhile.

An example relating to the USA might be people from Toronto driving to Detroit or Vancouver to Seattle to benefit from the more competitive US market.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
Are any LHR-DUB flights available that arrive into T2 in DUB, and does this still allow for transit without visa due to the design of the connector between terminals? I know that as of 2015, my partner could arrive on AA into T2 and airside transit to BA in T1 without an ROI visa, although it's not possible in the other direction. This would depend on through-checking bags or hand-baggage only though.
Ei flies LHR-DUB T2 but I'm not sure if there is still an airside transit connection.

However one flaw is that is is generally not possible to check luggage through the same airport so the luggage coundn't be tagged LHR-DUB-LHR-XXX and that's before allowing for interlining - or more likely not - of bags.

Even in the OPs case where both LHR-DUB and DUB-LHR-XXX are on BA, BA will not through check bags on separate itineraries.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. Based on my research I do not need a visa to transit in Dublin.

Will you please read the responses to your other questions rather than repeating them.

In post 18 I have already told you that once you clear RoI Immigration then you are landside.

You are NOT transiting. Please disabuse yourself of that notion.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:49 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
OP, you have been given some very precise, accurate and helpful advice here which takes account of the practicalities of Dublin airport, where many of us are extremely familiar with the layout.
Whether or not you choose to use that advice is entirely up to you.

However, consider the scenario that you pass through immigration at DUB and are then landside. You might well have another flight you have every intention of catching, but the fact is at that stage there is absolutely nothing stopping you walking out of the airport and disappearing. An immigration officer will therefore want to see that you will have the right to enter Ireland, and BA will not want to second guess if he or she will be generous in allowing some sort of temporary entry outside the visa system (even if this option is open) - so they will not let you board your first flight.

You are, presumably, saving a small forture with an ex-DUB start compared to ex-LHR. The consequence is that there are some inconveniences to that, which for you includes getting the right visa. Suck up the cost and do it - otherwise you will just store up anxiety and stress and potentially your still expensive purchase will go horribly wrong.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jan 2, 2018 at 6:20 am
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by :D!
Mauritian citizens require a visa to enter Ireland by bus. Whether it is checked or not is immaterial.
I took the Belfast-DUB-City bus (branded blue) a few months ago, and there was a roadside onboard passport check by Irish officials.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Because it can, due to marketing, be cheaper to start a trip elsewhere (say Dublin) than your desired start point (say London) as the airlines (in this case BA) want people to travel via their hub instead of another airlines.
That is not what you wrote. You aren't starting in Dublin.

You said you are STARTING in London, flying to Dublin, and then flying back to London. Why fly to DUB from LHR only to return to where you began which is LHR 2 1/2 hours after you arrive in DUB? You wrote it below.

I am intending to take the first flight from LHR at 6.30 am to DUB which lands at 8 am.

The next flight from DUB to LHR is departing at 10.30am.
I'm lost here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.