Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Which day trip from Dublin, help me choose!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances

We have a few days in Dublin in November and want to do a day trip to the country side, but can only do one full day, what would you recommend? These are fixed tours, so just suggest one.

1. Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip Including Giant's Causeway from Dublin (includes Belfast and the Carrik-a-Rede rope bridge, but it could be closed if windy)

2. Cliffs of Moher Tour Including Wild Atlantic Way and Galway City from Dublin (but the Cliffs could be fogged out).

3. Kilkenny City, Wicklow Mountains and Glendalough Day Trip from Dublin.

We are mostly interested in scenery and secondarily in history. Which of this trips would you recommend? We want to get a good sense of the Irish countryside and that we saw something unique and a substantive representation of it. We don't know if we would visit again, so, if we only see one of these, what would you suggest?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:26 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
The first two involve about 8 or 9 hours of driving and it's probably going to be raining.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
The first two involve about 8 or 9 hours of driving and it's probably going to be raining.
True, forecast shows rain, and the added risk is one of the main attractions in either place could be closed or foggy...
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: BAEC
Hi, as much as I try and encourage fellow Fter's to come and visit Northern Ireland, to try and do Belfast and the North Coast as a day trip from 'the DUB' would be a waste of your time and money.

Belfast, the Causeway, Dunluce Castle, Ballintoy and the rope bridge are best with a nightstop or two (Belfast and Bushmills) up North, and especially if they get the 'Gobbins' re-opened though that is being pushed in to 2018.

The same thing applies for going West, the cliffs on the Atlantic coast are bracing, wild and very picturesque but again as you'd need a night or two with a base in Galway.

For a one day out I'd guide you to your no.3
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by noniron
Hi, as much as I try and encourage fellow Fter's to come and visit Northern Ireland, to try and do Belfast and the North Coast as a day trip from 'the DUB' would be a waste of your time and money.

Belfast, the Causeway, Dunluce Castle, Ballintoy and the rope bridge are best with a nightstop or two (Belfast and Bushmills) up North, and especially if they get the 'Gobbins' re-opened though that is being pushed in to 2018.

The same thing applies for going West, the cliffs on the Atlantic coast are bracing, wild and very picturesque but again as you'd need a night or two with a base in Galway.

For a one day out I'd guide you to your no.3
Thanks for the feedback, I know that 1&2 have the most time on the bus, and are the most weather susceptible, but they are also the most exciting. #3 is less exciting but more convenient/safe choice... All three are standard day trips offered by a few travel agencies from DUB for 35-65 euro all inclusive (pretty reasonable), and all three seem very highly rated on tripadvisor though...

Last edited by nk15; Nov 17, 2017 at 8:10 pm
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So I went with #3 , cheaper, shorter (at only 9:30 hours, lol), more comfortable, but still a lot to do and see! Thanks for the input.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:59 am

Good choice. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that in November the length of daylight in Ireland is quite short, today for instance there's just 8 and a half hours between sunrise and sunset in Dublin. Tours to the West Coast or the North that are popular for those with stamina in high summer are less desirable in winter if you actually want to see what's along the way as well as at the destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.