Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clothing appropriate for current weather in London

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Clothing appropriate for current weather in London

Hi, I'd like to ask how warm one needs to dress in London around this time?

I can see the weather is generally below 20 degrees celsius, but numbers do not fully reflect how cold or warm a place feels or how much clothing one needs to wear.

Is a cotton hoodie with a T-shirt a trousers or shorts generally warm enough to keep one from catching a cold?

Or is a down jacket or some sort of thicker cotton jacket necessary?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Layering is key. Lots of different layers. And a good rain jacket or waterproof.

The UK Met Office and plenty of other weather services give a 'feels like' temperature which takes into account humidity, wind speed etc. Of course you are right that how warm you feel depends on a range of physical factors, but also is a very personal thing. What are you used to, i.e. where do you come from?

You certainly won't see many people in shorts in autumn. If the sun is out and it is not windy, it can feel very 'pleasant' in the sun. I would probably be happy in a t-shirt. But equally if it is rainy and windy, even if the air temp is 17°C, I would have at least 3 layers on top with good waterproofs. If you plan to do anything outside at night (e.g. football match, queuing for the London Eye) take hat and gloves. If you are going to be spending most of your day visiting places indoors then yes, jumper and trousers would be fine.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by regardinghk
A down jacket when the London temps are and will be in the 50s, 60s and 70s?

Carry a portable umbrella with you which is what I did as I just returned from London.

Last edited by Analise; Oct 13, 2017 at 2:10 am
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:15 am

Hi, I'd like to ask how warm one needs to dress in London around this time?

I can see the weather is generally below 20 degrees celsius, but numbers do not fully reflect how cold or warm a place feels or how much clothing one needs to wear.

Is a cotton hoodie with a T-shirt a trousers or shorts generally warm enough to keep one from catching a cold?

'Layering' is good advice from konagirl2 - that way you can use the trapped air to keep you warm but shed a layer if/when the weather changes.

Remember the old adage about UK - 'If you don't like the weather, wait a minute!'
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by konagirl2
What are you used to, i.e. where do you come from?
Hong Kong, it is around 30 degrees celsius here right now, and quite sunny.

Thanks for the tip about layering.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by farci
Remember the old adage about UK - 'If you don't like the weather, wait a minute!'
This sums it up nicely. Contrary to popular belief, relative to many other climates the weather in the UK (especially in the South) is not particularly cold and not particularly wet. But it is changeable. It differs every day and within any given day it can change multiple times at the drop of a hat.

With that said, autumn can feature many days which are basically grey and just a bit drizzly all day. Those are everyone's least favourite. Today looks like a dull grey morning () but brightening up later (^).

As for shorts, the only people you're likely to see in shorts in October are girls on a Saturday night out on the town. And those may be very very short shorts indeed - no matter how cold it is!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I'd leave the shorts at home. If the sun isn't out and wind picks up, it's a bit cool.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
As for shorts, the only people you're likely to see in shorts in October are girls on a Saturday night out on the town. And those may be very very short shorts indeed - no matter how cold it is!

Okay, since I am a guy, I probably should not be seen wearing shorts outdoors then.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There is no problem in wearing shorts per se.

But long trousers are warmer!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There is no problem in wearing shorts per se.
Yes there is.

At least in the sophisticated parts of the metropolis.

I can understand why, living in a seaside town, you think otherwise of course!

Alternatively wear the shorts - beige, presumably - and get a big "I'm a tourist" badge made.

What you need for October in London:
Trousers
Shoes with waterproof soles
Shirt
Light sweater (merino is a good choice)
Jacket

No need to go OTT with a rain jacket unless you are heading to the country. Just hide in the nearest Starbucks instead if it rains. No need for a heavy jumper yet either. I am just wearing a cashmere long-sleeved polo shirt and a light jacket today.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Raffles
Yes there is.

At least in the sophisticated parts of the metropolis.

I can understand why, living in a seaside town, you think otherwise of course!

I lived in london 10 x longer than I have by the sea side.

And at times I have plenty of objections to people wearing shorts - especially those that don't fit!

If someone wants to wear shorts then let them - even in the 'sophisticated' parts of London.

But if you want to stay warm don't wear them.
MoreMilesPlease likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:06 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
People who are used to HK weather may find London to be cold at this time of the year.

warm enough to keep one from catching a cold?
You catch a cold when you spend some amount of time near to a person who has a cold. The clothes you wear don't really have much to do with it. Even if you wear lots, you can still get a cold.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I've got a really awesome nylon and thin synthetic down coat from the North Face that is water-resistant and can fold up into its own pocket in a puff not much larger than my fist. It's also got a loop near the pocket that I can use to clip it to my messenger bag with a carabiner when it's compacted. It's a pretty common activewear coat style and many companies from Uniqlo to Patagonia sell something similar. Get a nice neutral color and it's a very useful type of coat for both urban and rural walking days in moderate weather conditions.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
I was walking around London, jacket off in just a t-shirt yesterday, and was still finding it hot... but then I am just visiting from beyond the wall!
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:41 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I went for a walk this morning and it was so hot that I had to take off my coat leaving only my t-shirt. Now however the sun seems to have gone behind a cloud and it's a bit cooler.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.