Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber being banned from London

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The UBER driver can (as does a mini cab driver) easily refuse to take you somewhere because he / she knows where you want to go before they accept the job.
That is not correct; the driver is not told until after he has accepted the job. Indeed, there is no requirement to set a destination until the vehicle arrives.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:02 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Calchas
That is not correct; the driver is not told until after he has accepted the job. Indeed, there is no requirement to set a destination until the vehicle arrives.
The driver can mess you about though, phoning you and telling you to cancel once the destination is apparent, thereby blocking you from calling another one until you do so. The really unscrupulous ones may even start the journey in your absence of you refuse. Sure, you can complain, but it does happen, especially at airports (most recently near Luton, for me...)
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:07 pm

"The UBER driver can (as does a mini cab driver) easily refuse to take you somewhere because he / she knows where you want to go before they accept the job. The cabby only finds out when you tell them once they have stopped for you."

This is wrong on both counts. The Uber app doesn't let the driver know the destination until the passenger has got in the car. Black taxi drivers do get told the destination on prebooked jobs through the networks.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
so the driver can still say 'not going there'. Just like a cabby can!
Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Whether an individual prefers a black cab or an Uber is only relevant in a context where Uber is actually banned. Fortunately, whilst TFL has its head in the sand, its political masters have realised that banning it is a major vote loser. The only question is over what sort of face-saving agreement will be made to ensure its continuance.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Indeed, there is no requirement to set a destination until the vehicle arrives.
That seems to have changed in the last year or so. I cannot request an Uber until I have entered my destination.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:51 pm

@lhrsfo. I expect the “face saving agreement” is that Uber will agree to follow tfl regulations, just like they agreed to do when they got their licence originally.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uber monitors drivers carefully and if they are found to cancel a significant number of journeys (I think more than 5%?) it ends their relationship with the driver.

This was a main plank of the Employment Tribunal's decision that the drivers are effectively employees not contractors.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:48 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Uber monitors drivers carefully and if they are found to cancel a significant number of journeys (I think more than 5%?) it ends their relationship with the driver.
That's why they don't - they phone you and invent some story about there having been a problem or misunderstanding, and tell you that you have to cancel - you remain blocked from catching any other Uber, of course, if you fail to do so. If you're particularly unlucky, you'll even get hit with a cancellation fee. It's fairly well documented.

I should point out, for balance, the the vast majority of my Uber journeys have been great - fast, hassle free, good value, and with helpful drivers. My worst experiences tend to be journeys from near airports (where the assumption seems to be that I'm trying to go to the airport on a very short journey - actually generally not the case, not that it should matter...)
Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:07 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
Original Poster

Possibly, but the driver would then get a one star review. Too many of those and he'll (never yet had a female Uber driver) be stripped of his Uber "License" and be out of a job.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Never had an issue in Manchester. I thought the driver didn’t find out the destination before the trip had started? In Kampala, cash strapped drivers expected me to call them, to confirm the journey, but that was because a lot were being hailed in error. That’s the other nice thing about Uber. The growing number of places where you can get off a plane and not have to try too hard to work out the local taxis.
Calchas likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:18 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Internaut
Never had an issue in Manchester. I thought the driver didn’t find out the destination before the trip had started?
Yes, they only get notified of the destination when they swipe to start the trip (when you are already in the car).

I had some issues at Manchester Airport last week. I booked a car from T1, but the usual meeting place (the Texaco garage) has now been closed down. A total of 4 drivers eventually phoned me, with the first 3 cancelling. I managed to leave 1 star reviews for 2 of them.

When I eventually got in the 4th car, the driver said he thought that there may be some technical issues issues as he was getting lots of jobs, but they were automatically cancelling.

I felt a bit guilty about the 1 star reviews
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
That’s the other nice thing about Uber. The growing number of places where you can get off a plane and not have to try too hard to work out the local taxis.
I see more of a danger in that. Just think about it for a minute. If Uber dominates markets everywhere, they can just dictate the price for rides and at the same time dictate pay of drivers.

The danger in all of this is that Uber has the power to eradicate competition. Once that is gone Uber will be king and not only enjoy local monopolies but one global one. But seeing how the arrival of Uber everywhere is cheered on by customers rather than them having reservations (e.g. "yeah price is great but what's it going to be like 5/10/15 years from now?") may make an eventual IPO very interesting.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by WorldLux
I see more of a danger in that. Just think about it for a minute. If Uber dominates markets everywhere, they can just dictate the price for rides and at the same time dictate pay of drivers.

The danger in all of this is that Uber has the power to eradicate competition. Once that is gone Uber will be king and not only enjoy local monopolies but one global one. But seeing how the arrival of Uber everywhere is cheered on by customers rather than them having reservations (e.g. "yeah price is great but what's it going to be like 5/10/15 years from now?") may make an eventual IPO very interesting.
It is definitely bad if there’s no competition. It’s also bad if the drivers are priced into poverty, which is what can happen if you allow an absolutely free and unregulated market. I’ve long thought the antidote to Uber’s wrongdoings would be for drivers to form their own co-operatives. There are other software solutions out there (albeit not as slick in terms of the end to end experience).
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve long thought the antidote to Uber’s wrongdoings would be for drivers to form their own co-operatives.
Even if they did, those coops could not compete owing to Uber's predatory pricing policies. Uber is losing money. Big time. But that does not matter because they have investors happy to bankroll them for several years of heavy losses to allow Uber to gain market share by driving out local competition through unsustainable fares. Once the competition will be gone and Uber will be an unavoidable giant, they will be in a position to reap the benefits of their quasi-monopolistic position.

Being able to sustain many years of heavy losses is not an option for local coops.

We are gradually moving into OMNI territory here, though, so perhaps we should go back and focus on the London situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.