Wiki Posts
Search

DUB airport: evening check-in, morning flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL,UA,AA,F9,NK,B6
DUB airport: evening check-in, morning flight

I will be flying from Dublin to Glasgow or Edinburgh with Ryanair early in the morning. That will be the really early flight, so I am thinking of coming to the DUB airport in evening, checking in, and sleeping in the passenger zone next to the gate, so I will be quickly able to go to the aircraft after I wake up in the morning.

I won't be having any bags to check in, but just a carry-on item.

Will I be allowed to check in and proceed to the passenger zone in the evening many hours ahead of the actual flight?

Do they mind if I sleep on the bench without the armrests if I find one?

Thanks!

Last edited by mandrivnyk; Sep 4, 2017 at 2:17 am
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: Nothing spectacular
If the check in counters are staffed, then you should be able to check in the night before.

Yes, since you'll have a boarding pass you'll be able to go through security and enter the passenger zone.

No. They're an airport so they shouldn't mind you sleeping on a bench.

-The Flying Guy
mandrivnyk likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Sep 4, 2017 at 5:19 pm Reason: FT Rule 7
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
But FR are difficult about airport check in. Much better simply to check in on the App and be done with it.
mandrivnyk likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:14 pm

At a guess OP isn't an EU citizen so will they have to have their PRINTED boarding pass stamped by Ryanair staff before going through security even if it's a "domestic" flight
mandrivnyk likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies!

Originally Posted by theflyingguyblog
Yes, since you'll have a boarding pass you'll be able to go through security and enter the passenger zone.
This is the best news.

Originally Posted by theflyingguyblog
No. They're an airport so they shouldn't mind you sleeping on a bench.
Great news as well. But are there benches without armrests in DUB's passenger zone?

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
But FR are difficult about airport check in. Much better simply to check in on the App and be done with it.
Originally Posted by Tisbutascratch
At a guess OP isn't an EU citizen so will they have to have their PRINTED boarding pass stamped by Ryanair staff before going through security even if it's a "domestic" flight
I am a U.S. citizen. Is the paper boarding pass my only option then? Won't the app check in work for me?

If so, what if I come to the airport on the day before my flight at around afternoon when there are many flights to/from U.K. and try to get a Ryanair staff person print my boarding pass? Will it work fine if I come there less than 24 hours before my next morning departure?

Last edited by mandrivnyk; Sep 4, 2017 at 4:28 pm
Old Sep 4, 2017, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Try not to get FR to print your BP for you because they will charge you €15.

For the passport check you need to go to the FR 'visa / document check desk'

The sleeping in airports websute suggests it is better to sleep land rather than airside as most of the airside seats have fixed armrests
mandrivnyk likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
This is one of the daftest ideas I've read in some time. Why would you want to spend so many hours desperately trying to catch a few hours of sleep in an uncomfortable spot? The GLA and EDI flights on FR leave at 0625 and 0650. What time is the OP proposing to go to the airport? Why not get a room at a hotel and/or stay in the centre of the city and just get a taxi in the morning? If the OP is there from the night before, expect him to get some attention from the Gardai (Irish Police).
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Assuming for the moment that the OP can actually stay in the airport overnight, which is unlikely, I would suggest five purchases. A sleeping bag liner, an inflatable pillow, an inflatable bed pad (some of which inflate to two inches and cost about $20), a sleep mask, and some cheap noise cancelling headphones. Total cost: if bought from Amazon, probably no more than $140 and the items can be used for future trips and packed in a relatively small space--although you'll have to give up a piece of clothing or two to accommodate all five items. Really, as echoed by others, a bad idea, but if you're going to try it, buy the things that will make it possible that you can really get a good night's sleep.

But if you're not ever contemplating doing something like this again, you can get a hotel near the airport for something close to $140.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Try not to get FR to print your BP for you because they will charge you €15.
Will keep it in mind, thanks!

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The sleeping in airports websute suggests it is better to sleep land rather than airside as most of the airside seats have fixed armrests
sleepinginairport.com or another? sleepinginairport often is outdated, that's why I decided to ask here as well.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
This is one of the daftest ideas I've read in some time. Why would you want to spend so many hours desperately trying to catch a few hours of sleep in an uncomfortable spot? The GLA and EDI flights on FR leave at 0625 and 0650. What time is the OP proposing to go to the airport? Why not get a room at a hotel and/or stay in the centre of the city and just get a taxi in the morning?
I will arrive to London from the USA in the morning and will have to immediately fly to Dublin. Next morning I need to be in Edinburgh (Glasgow is also fine). Knowing myself, I expect to sleep bad or not to sleep at all on the Trans-Atlantic flight, thus I will be unlikely to wake up early next morning if I sleep in a hotel (even if I go to bed early). In order not to miss the DUB-EDI flight, I need to sleep next to the gate. I think of coming to the airport at about 21:00, have a sleep next to the gate, and fly to U.K. in the morning.

I have successfully used such an approach a few times before (in USA and Netherlands) when I knew there was a risk of missing my morning flight from my inability to wake up in time because of insufficient sleep last night.

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
If the OP is there from the night before, expect him to get some attention from the Gardai (Irish Police).
I never attracted such an attention when I came to the airport in the evening and flew away in the morning. This is basically still a part of the normal cycle.

Last edited by mandrivnyk; Sep 5, 2017 at 11:31 pm
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Assuming for the moment that the OP can actually stay in the airport overnight, which is unlikely
If you tell me your concerns of why this is unlikely, it will help me finally decide.

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I would suggest five purchases. A sleeping bag liner, an inflatable pillow, an inflatable bed pad (some of which inflate to two inches and cost about $20), a sleep mask, and some cheap noise cancelling headphones.
Taking into account the USA-London flight without sleeping and the day in Dublin, light and noise won't matter at all. In reality, the backpack works as a pillow just fine.

Last edited by mandrivnyk; Sep 5, 2017 at 10:41 pm
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson VIP, Hertz Gold, Accor Plat
You have the most important ingredient required, the will to sleep rough.

For me I'd be in the airport Radisson early as possible the evening before to get rested and a shower before embarking to EDI. I've done early morning Ryanair flights from DUB many times. At that time security won't be busy and it's a short courtesy bus (or even walk) to the airport. Sleeping at the gate is saving you perhaps 20 minutes max of "sleep" time.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by mandrivnyk
I will arrive to London from the USA in the morning and will have to immediately fly to Dublin.
So you'll be in Dublin late afternoon at the latest. Lots of time to get a hotel and catch up with sleep.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
So you'll be in Dublin late afternoon at the latest. Lots of time to get a hotel and catch up with sleep.
I would actually like to spend the whole available day on seeing as much of Dublin as I can as this is going to be my first time there.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by mandrivnyk
I would actually like to spend the whole available day on seeing as much of Dublin as I can as this is going to be my first time there.
Below are the options which you should include in your itinerary:
  • Kilmainham Gaol
  • Glasnevin Cemetery Museum
  • Croke Park Stadium Tour & GAA Museum
  • Cliffs of Moher

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.