Uber from Birmingham to Manchester

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select

I have a 1040 AM flight from Manchester to Houston next Sunday, my options are 320 or 630 AM National Express bus or Uber. Uber is about 80 pounds and it seems valid, any idea if a driver would actually take that job at around 6 AM?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:20 pm

I don't know Birmingham, but I imagine you'd be better booking a minicab (car service). Just google Birmingham minicabs to find providers, or wait for others to chime in here...
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Obviously I don't know your other commitments but I would take a late train and stay the night at one of the airport hotels. I like the Radisson because it is an easy walk, mostly under cover, to the station and the terminals but it is not usually the cheapest. That way you are not at the mercy of traffic and can have a good night's sleep.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by MADPhil
Obviously I don't know your other commitments but I would take a late train and stay the night at one of the airport hotels. I like the Radisson because it is an easy walk, mostly under cover, to the station and the terminals but it is not usually the cheapest. That way you are not at the mercy of traffic and can have a good night's sleep.
This was the other option, thanks for bringing it up. National Express runs buses pretty late into the night to the airport so it's a good option.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Is Birmingham one of those cities where you can pre-book an Uber?

In general, I wouldn't rely on this. While some drivers are happy to take a long-distance job, not all are, and you are at the mercy of chance. I would not want the stress of finding a willing driver at that time of the morning.

Another option would be car hire. I'm a big fan of Airport Connect from Europcar - £49 one-way to/ from an airport. It may fit in with your other plans?

Otherwise, hotel at Manchester Airport. (Or combine the two - a hire car gives you a wide choice of accommodation along the route of the motorway - or preferable just off!)
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:33 am

I haven't got a personal recommendation, but a quick search threw up a few options...

A2B Radio Cars - "Birmingham's & Solihull's Largest Taxi Company", by the size of the fleet.

Castle Cars - who meanwhile label themselves as "Birmingham's & Solihull's Premier Taxi & Private Hire Company" and are also proud of having been in business for over 30 years.

Both have fairly comprehensive websites which suggests neither are fly-by-night operators.

I also came across this one-man operation, Gar's Birmingham Airport Transfers - Gar appears to advertise his business via favourable recommendations on Facebook and word of mouth.

I suspect that all their fare estimates will be higher than that offered by Uber, which I also wouldn't want to rely on for a journey such as this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:57 am

As others said, I wouldn't rely on Uber for such trip (I once successfully requested a Birmingham Airport-Derby, but clearly not the same distance here). If you'll be going for the taxi option, please send me a PM - I know a taxi company which I've been using almost on a weekly basis for the last 10 months or so and they are extremely reliable (they're based not far from Birmingham and do mostly long distance).

G
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
If you'll be going for the taxi option, please send me a PM - I know a taxi company which I've been using almost on a weekly basis for the last 10 months or so and they are extremely reliable (they're based not far from Birmingham and do mostly long distance).
Any reason you wouldn't want to post the company name here?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Any reason you wouldn't want to post the company name here?
I was thinking to get the OP in touch directly with one of the owners but indeed I should have mentioned the name of the company i.e. Repton Cars (they also own Ambassador Cars, taxi company of the England football team when up in Burton at St George's Park), apologies.

G
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mizter T
I haven't got a personal recommendation, but a quick search threw up a few options...

A2B Radio Cars - "Birmingham's & Solihull's Largest Taxi Company", by the size of the fleet.

Castle Cars - who meanwhile label themselves as "Birmingham's & Solihull's Premier Taxi & Private Hire Company" and are also proud of having been in business for over 30 years.

Both have fairly comprehensive websites which suggests neither are fly-by-night operators.

I also came across this one-man operation, Gar's Birmingham Airport Transfers - Gar appears to advertise his business via favourable recommendations on Facebook and word of mouth.

I suspect that all their fare estimates will be higher than that offered by Uber, which I also wouldn't want to rely on for a journey such as this.
Gar sounds interesting but I wonder if he does one way transfers he quotes as round trip. Thanks for all the information.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
As others said, I wouldn't rely on Uber for such trip (I once successfully requested a Birmingham Airport-Derby, but clearly not the same distance here). If you'll be going for the taxi option, please send me a PM - I know a taxi company which I've been using almost on a weekly basis for the last 10 months or so and they are extremely reliable (they're based not far from Birmingham and do mostly long distance).

G
Thanks for the information and generous offer I'm trying to work something out but if it falls apart I'll definitely contact you soon.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mad_rich
Is Birmingham one of those cities where you can pre-book an Uber?

In general, I wouldn't rely on this. While some drivers are happy to take a long-distance job, not all are, and you are at the mercy of chance. I would not want the stress of finding a willing driver at that time of the morning.

Another option would be car hire. I'm a big fan of Airport Connect from Europcar - £49 one-way to/ from an airport. It may fit in with your other plans?

Otherwise, hotel at Manchester Airport. (Or combine the two - a hire car gives you a wide choice of accommodation along the route of the motorway - or preferable just off!)
Europcar sounds interesting but I'm from the states so I'm a bit afraid of driving in the U.K., I know it sounds silly
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by slickvik
Europcar sounds interesting but I'm from the states so I'm a bit afraid of driving in the U.K., I know it sounds silly
I mentioned trains before but just as a reminder you can ride from Birmingham to the airport (with a change of trains at Manchester Piccadilly) for around GBP16 on an advance ticket bought online now for pick up at the station.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MADPhil
I mentioned trains before but just as a reminder you can ride from Birmingham to the airport (with a change of trains at Manchester Piccadilly) for around GBP16 on an advance ticket bought online now for pick up at the station.
The problem is the first train is at 901 am on sundays
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by slickvik
The problem is the first train is at 901 am on sundays
I know that but there are evening trains if you choose to add a hotel. If you decide to go by road on Sunday morning then at least you should not have a traffic problem, which removes one incentive for spending the night at the airport, but given that it will be a long day there is much to be said for not starting it earlier than you must.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.