Wiki Posts
Search

Headed to London for the first time in 25 years

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Yes, many locations have multiple bus stops so they are designated with letters. The letters are clearly shown on a red lollipop at the top of the bus stop sign, so you'll know you're in the right place. The streetview image here of Monument stop J shows what this looks like.

Citymapper - which is the app you should use when in London - pinpoints the location of each lettered bus stop on the interactive map.
Thank you! That looks super easy to find.

I already downloaded Citymapper and have been trying it out, as well as the National Rail app.

How is the bus system generally? Do google's bus trip times seem to be accurate? It seems like a tradeoff between a possibly longer Tube ride (possibly combined with walking a distance) and a bus, which has to deal with traffic.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:08 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Graciecatt
How is the bus system generally? Do google's bus trip times seem to be accurate? It seems like a tradeoff between a possibly longer Tube ride (possibly combined with walking a distance) and a bus, which has to deal with traffic.
Buses are ok generally but sometimes they can be frustrating if you are in a hurry. If it isn't raining or I'm not carrying something heavy, I would prefer to walk short distances in central London over taking a bus. For your example journey, a bus would be faster most of the time, but I have walked it.

I would expect that Google's times are mostly accurate but add 5-10 minutes leeway.

As for the tube, it's not just walking to the station but also possibly a long walk (including stairs) from the station entrance to the platform. The Circle, District, Ham&City and Metropolitan lines are close to the surface while the other lines are deep down.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
My family enjoyed the London Eye and riding in the upstairs front seat of city buses.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by :D!
Buses are ok generally but sometimes they can be frustrating if you are in a hurry. If it isn't raining or I'm not carrying something heavy, I would prefer to walk short distances in central London over taking a bus. For your example journey, a bus would be faster most of the time, but I have walked it.

I would expect that Google's times are mostly accurate but add 5-10 minutes leeway.

As for the tube, it's not just walking to the station but also possibly a long walk (including stairs) from the station entrance to the platform. The Circle, District, Ham&City and Metropolitan lines are close to the surface while the other lines are deep down.
I would add that the quickest way to do this journey is actually by Santander hire cycle, aka 'Boris bike'.

Of course not everyone is comfortable cycling in London as it can be quite daunting - and to be fair I wouldn't recommend that particular route to Graciecatt as it involves some tricky roads.

However it's worth giving the bikes a try somewhere a bit quieter if possible. For me it's by far the best way to get around London. I pretty much never use buses or the Tube except for Heathrow - everything else is by bike.

More info here: http://tfl.gov.uk/modes/cycling/santander-cycles
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

How long in advance of our flight home to Boston should we arrive at LHR? We will be flying BA 239 on a Tuesday leaving LHR at 7:55 pm local time.

I am not used to not having pre-check! Plus, do we have to go through any customs or something like that to get to our gate?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:30 pm

1h30 before would be fine if you don't want to hang about. Bag drop closes at T-60mins.

No customs/exit control, just hand baggage security.

You must be at entrance to security at T-35mins, but that would be cutting it very fine for a longhaul from T5B/C, which yours will be. Gate closes at T-20.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
1h30 before would be fine if you don't want to hang about. Bag drop closes at T-60mins.

No customs/exit control, just hand baggage security.

You must be at entrance to security at T-35mins, but that would be cutting it very fine for a longhaul from T5B/C, which yours will be. Gate closes at T-20.
Thank you! We are not checking bags.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Can anyone tell me about the safety of the area where the World's End Market Restaurant http://www.theworldsendmarket.com/ is? We (2 adult females) will be going there for a Bletchley Bar pop up experience on a Sunday evening from 8 - 10 pm in October. I figured out how to get there via Tube and Bus and can certainly figure out how to get back to our hotel (the St. Pancras) via Bus and Tube. But I was wondering if the area is sketchy and if we should be waiting for a bus, especially since it will be dark. What about an Uber option? Taxi? On the flip side, would a bus be safer than getting in someone's Uber?

Last edited by Graciecatt; Sep 4, 2017 at 9:36 pm
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:10 am

The Kings Road. Dodgy? Er, no, one of the most affluent areas in London.
In any case, London is an extremely safe city (always use sensible precautions against pick pockets). A visitor has to try very hard to get to an area of London which could be considered remotely unsafe. Bus stops and buses will be fine, at any hour.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much!
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
A few people here have advocated ordering Visitor Oyster Cards. It might save you a couple of minutes when you arrive and it does come with some special offers at attractions and touristy restaurants (most of which aren't unique) BUT you'll pay nearly $6 to have them delivered (or nearly $17 if you need them sooner than in two weeks)b , and unlike a normal Oyster card you won't be able to get the cost of the card refunded when you're done with it.

Most people are better off buying a regular Oyster card on arrival.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by zappomatic
A few people here have advocated ordering Visitor Oyster Cards. It might save you a couple of minutes when you arrive and it does come with some special offers at attractions and touristy restaurants (most of which aren't unique) BUT you'll pay nearly $6 to have them delivered (or nearly $17 if you need them sooner than in two weeks)b , and unlike a normal Oyster card you won't be able to get the cost of the card refunded when you're done with it.

Most people are better off buying a regular Oyster card on arrival.
Have to disagree. First, not every site charges you for shipping, and you can buy a regular Oyster card in advance - we did. For visitors with a very limited time in London, spending the first hour (or two, based on the quality our interactions with London Transport for just a simple routing question, which they answered incorrectly) of your time in London was worth far more than $6.

Not every aspect of travel is about scrimping and saving every last penny. Four days in London: would you rather have another hour at the British Museum (or Harrods, if that's your thing ) or save $6? I know what my choice would be.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:33 pm

CDTraveller. You can buy a regular Oyster in about two minutes on arrival, at Heathrow (and thousands of other outlets). It really is simple and fast. There is just no point (and various disadvantages) to getting a visitor Oyster shipped in advance.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
CDTraveller. You can buy a regular Oyster in about two minutes on arrival, at Heathrow (and thousands of other outlets). It really is simple and fast. There is just no point (and various disadvantages) to getting a visitor Oyster shipped in advance.
Exactly what is the disadvantage of having an Oyster card in hand when arrive in London? Not having to track down where to buy it? Not having to deal with unfamiliar currency, which some visitors might not have to hand? Not having one more stressor that could be avoided? Not having to stand in an extra line?

OP of this thread says she hasn't been to London for 25 years, which means there is going to be a lot that is unfamiliar to her. No matter how much you travel, when dealing with the unfamiliar, there are often unexpected complications - the machine won't take your credit card, you misread the screen and ordered the wrong thing, half the machines are broken, etc.

The point of getting an Oyster card in hand before you arrive is to minimize last second problems and maximize time spent on the leisure attractions/activities that drew you to London in the first place.
(and I seriously doubt a visitor can find a sales point and purchase an Oyster card at Heathrow in 2 minutes).
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
The point of getting an Oyster card in hand before you arrive is to minimize last second problems and maximize time spent on the leisure attractions/activities that drew you to London in the first place.
(and I seriously doubt a visitor can find a sales point and purchase an Oyster card at Heathrow in 2 minutes).
I have a couple of contactless cards and will probably try to use those instead of Oyster while I'm there next month. Then again, this thread doesn't sound promising in that regard.

OP, if you want to try that instead of Oyster (with the understanding that it might not work and you'll have to buy one anyway), I'd call up AmEx and request the "chip+contactless" version of your Platinum card. It may take several attempts to receive that card; look for the sideways Wi-Fi symbol on the back to make sure you've actually gotten it. Also, try tapping it at one of the places listed here to make sure that part works before you leave.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.