Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

UK Transit Visa at LHR on Route to India with Indian E-Visa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Does an Phillipnes national (US green card holder) on route to India need a UK transit visa to transit London Heathrow airport, if that person only has an Indian "E-Visa" (electronic visa)?

Last edited by edealinfo12345; Aug 4, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
If not exiting airside, no (source: Wikipedia)

Direct Airside Transit visa exemption documents
The exemption applies where travellers:
arrive and depart by air, and
the onward flight must be confirmed, and must depart the same day, and
have proper documentation for their destination (including a visa for the destination country if necessary), and

fulfil any one of the below conditions:
have a valid visa for Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA, whether or not traveling to or from those countries, or
have a valid Australian or New Zealand residence visa; or
have a valid Canadian permanent resident card issued on or after 28 June 2002; or
have a valid uniform format residence permit issued by an EEA state under Council Regulation (EC) number 1030/2002; or
have a valid Irish biometric visa endorsed BC or BC BIVS; or
have a valid uniform format category D visa for entry to a state in the European Economic Area (EEA); or
have a valid USA I-551 permanent resident card issued on or after 21 April 1998; or
have an expired I-551 permanent resident card issued on or after 21 April 1998, accompanied by an I-797 extension letter; or
have a standalone US Immigration Form 155A/155B attached to an envelope; or
have a valid Schengen Approved destination Scheme (ADS) group tourism visa where the holder is travelling to the country that issued it or holds a valid airline ticket from the Schengen area, provided the holder can demonstrate they entered there no more than 30 days previously on the basis of a valid Schengen ADS visa;
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:59 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As this question pertains to UK policies, we will move this over to the UK/Ireland forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You have been given links to the relevent UK Government website where you can check visa eligibility in your other posts.

Please use them.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

UK Transit Visa Requirement for 2 Scenarios (Different Airlines, Different Airports)

I have a question for 2 different scenarios (below) for which I am seeking clarification if a person is required to obtain a UK transit visa to catch a connecting flight to the U.S. This person is a citizen of the Philippines and has a United States green card (i.e., permanent resident of the U.S.)

Scenario A: Flight from New Delhi to New York via London Heathrow. One flight (New Delhi to London Heathrow) is on BRITISH AIRWAYS, and the other (from London Heathrow to New York) is a different airline – VIRGIN ATLANTIC. If the person is required to collect his or her bags in London from the British Airways flight (i.e., therefore has to pass through UK passport control/immigration), and then have to recheck the bags to the Virgin Atlantic flight from LHR to New York, will the person require a UK transit visa? The time at LHR to make the connection is 6 hours.

Scenario B: Flight from New Delhi to New York via London. One flight is from New Delhi to London Heathrow, and the other connecting flight is from London GATWICK Airport to New York (i.e., arrival and departure airports at London are different. Will the person need a transit visa? The time to make the connection in London is under 6 hours.

Thank you in advance for your patience in reviewing the scenarios. The reason I am asking this question is that I can’t get clarity on the UK visa web site, and I want to have direction on whether a visa is required or not.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Without the US green card you would definitely need a Visitor in Transit visa in both cases, with the green card you may not need a visa as it says:

Transiting without a visa
You might be eligible for ‘transit without visa’ if:

you arrive and depart by air
have a confirmed onward flight that leaves on the day you arrive or before midnight on the day after you arrive
have the correct documents for your destination (eg a visa for that country)
You must also:
have a valid USA permanent residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
You have asked the same question in a couple of different threads. Even with the differing nationalities, the green card is the common denominator. You've been pointed to the best information here so I'm not sure what better answers you hope to get. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...l#post28641307
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swiftaw
Without the US green card you would definitely need a Visitor in Transit visa in both cases, with the green card you may not need a visa as it says:

Transiting without a visa
You might be eligible for ‘transit without visa’ if:

you arrive and depart by air
have a confirmed onward flight that leaves on the day you arrive or before midnight on the day after you arrive
have the correct documents for your destination (eg a visa for that country)
You must also:
have a valid USA permanent residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998
Thank you. The issue is the phrase " you MIGHT be eligible" and therein lies the problem because there is no CERTAINTY as to whether it is required or not. Therefore, why would check in staff at British Airways allow one to board since the language is not CLEAR. I hope you see the issue.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: United Airlines MileagePlus
Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
Does an Indian national (US green card holder) on route to India need a UK transit visa to transit London Heathrow airport, if that person only has an Indian "E-Visa" (electronic visa)?
Why would an Indian national have an Indian e-visa?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:05 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Threads merged. Please keep the discussion to a single thread.

Many thanks,

stut
UK & Ireland
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vsuri
Why would an Indian national have an Indian e-visa?
Sorry, that should state either a US Citizen or a citizen of the Philippines (green card holder) with an Indian e-visa and a connection at London

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.