Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Logistics of a 9hr layover at LHR?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Logistics of a 9hr layover at LHR?

Flying BA long haul with a 9hr layover. Depending on weather, mood, and energy, we were planning on making a trip into London since we've never been there. That being said, I was wondering if we should:
1) deal with the 6AM arrival rush and immediately go landside and then find a place to rest for a bit before heading into the city or
2) go through FCC, get some rest, then take the train out/back to T5B/C to reach immigration?

I figure the latter also requires having "ready to fly" removed (does the former too?). Should we do this as we leave the airport or once we return?

Also, our onward flight is scheduled for 15:10 or thereabouts. What would be the latest time we should be on the Tube for the ride back to LHR? Is 12:30 too late? We'll have to collect our carry-on bags from left luggage too.

If it makes any difference, this happens to be on the Sunday of the RideLondon event.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
1st option using the arrivals lounge is going to be a lot less hassle
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
1st option using the arrivals lounge is going to be a lot less hassle
OP doesn't mention flying business or having OWE status, so may not have lounge access. However even without, I'd agree that going landside straight away is better.

I'm also not sure why (assuming no lounge access) OP wants to go somewhere to get some rest before heading into the city. I think it would be better just to get onto the Tube - which provides an hour long rest - and then find somewhere nice for breakfast in town.

12.30 isn't too late to get on the Tube. You have to calculate timings backwards. So if your flight is at 15.10, you need to be scanned at the entrance to security at T5 by 14.35. Giving yourself a good half an hour leeway to collect bags from left luggage means you should aim to arrive at T5 no later than 14.00. The journey is an hour from Kings X, 50mins from Green Park, 45 mins from South Ken, so aiming to get on the Tube by 12.30 is fine.

I'm not sure what the exact impact of Ride London will be, but I would generally try to avoid the route pinch points lest you get stuck in crowds - check TfL for advice on those.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I'm also not sure why (assuming no lounge access) OP wants to go somewhere to get some rest before heading into the city. I think it would be better just to get onto the Tube - which provides an hour long rest - and then find somewhere nice for breakfast in town.

12.30 isn't too late to get on the Tube
Yup, flying WTP and I definitely don't have status, so no lounge access. I was asking about a place to rest because I doubt I'll sleep on the flight. It looks like there are plenty of movies on IFE I have yet to see and the flight lands pretty much around my normal bedtime. The last thing I want to do is fall asleep on the Tube and end up on the other side of London

Thanks for confirming the return time. Sounds like 12:30 gives us enough time to get back and make the obligatory trip to duty free.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There are several hotels near LHR who offer day rooms. That might be an option.

Given the ridelondon event you need to be aware that there will be numerous road (but not tube) closures in central london that weekend that will affect your movements even if you appear not to be on the route so take that into account.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by karter8
Yup, flying WTP and I definitely don't have status, so no lounge access. I was asking about a place to rest because I doubt I'll sleep on the flight. It looks like there are plenty of movies on IFE I have yet to see and the flight lands pretty much around my normal bedtime. The last thing I want to do is fall asleep on the Tube and end up on the other side of London
Well you could always set an alarm on your phone to wake you at your ETA. That's what I do when I get on a train drunk, after several mishaps waking up in the likes of Morden!

What I would recommend, if the weather is good, is to get on the tube to Knightsbridge (or Hyde Park Corner but that may be busier due to Ride London) and go for a nice lie down on the grass in Hyde Park. You can spend as long or as short a time as you like there. It'd be a good idea to 'borrow' your blanket from WTP for this purpose (but don't quote me on that ). You could have a leisurely breakfast/lunch at the Serpentine Bar & Kitchen.

That way you get to rest and 'do' a bit of London at the same time.

Originally Posted by karter8
Thanks for confirming the return time. Sounds like 12:30 gives us enough time to get back and make the obligatory trip to duty free.
Yup. Just bear in mind that trains to T5 are only every 10mins, so if you're on the platform at 12.30 it may be 12.40 before a T5 train, but that should be fine for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.