Heathrow Lack of Aircon

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow Lack of Aircon

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, FB Platinum, Delta Nothing, HHonors Diamond, IAG Gold Ambassador, Ritz Silver, SPG Gold
Heathrow Lack of Aircon

Can someone explain to me why the powers that be at Heathrow can't be bothered to install aircon? In a crowded terminal, (and lounges,) it should be blowing at 16 degrees on a hot day like today, which would get the ambient temperature between 18-20. Instead it is somewhere between 25-30 at the moment, even in the lounges. What is wrong with these people?!
Old May 25, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by FrenchMerican
Can someone explain to me why the powers that be at Heathrow can't be bothered to install aircon? In a crowded terminal, (and lounges,) it should be blowing at 16 degrees on a hot day like today, which would get the ambient temperature between 18-20. Instead it is somewhere between 25-30 at the moment, even in the lounges. What is wrong with these people?!
Of course it has aircon! Maybe it's on too low as it costs a lot of cash to run aircon properly = )
Old May 25, 2017, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, FB Platinum, Delta Nothing, HHonors Diamond, IAG Gold Ambassador, Ritz Silver, SPG Gold
What is the point of having it at all if not for the comfort of the traveling public? One should not have to sweat in a premium lounge!
Old May 25, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Heathrow (and BA's lounges) is always far too hot. I get that some people don't like the cold, but you can stick an extra layer or two on. I can't keep removing clothing!
Old May 25, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by kingstontoon
Heathrow (and BA's lounges) is always far too hot. I get that some people don't like the cold, but you can stick an extra layer or two on. I can't keep removing clothing!
Oh I agree and a restraining order says I musn't.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
For the number of hot days in the UK air con is simply uneconomic.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson VIP, Hertz Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
For the number of hot days in the UK air con is simply uneconomic.
For domestic applications, that might be true.

In the case of modern commercial applications, particularly those with high occupancy, such as an airport, it isn't even a debate.

The issue is most likely down to the set point not being low enough, which on a warm day will of course be more cost effective for them, but not much comfort to pax.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:34 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I suspect it's much more likely that LHR has HVAC systems installed rather than simply air conditioning. With so much glass in terminals, maintaining the entire terminal to an even and reasonably controlled temperature with potentially large weather swings throughout the year is, I suspect, incredibly difficult - so what happens is you get a fudged compromise, particularly in older terminals such as T3 & T4 where the infrastructure will have been designed around a completely different era.

Even in T5, the amount of heat generated is probably much less than it was on opening with lower energy consumption monitors and other equipment. This means that there's more need for additional heating in some areas, which will be competing with the need to cool in others on days where the sun's heat is magnified by the glass. Not an easy balance, so I'm not surprised it isn't always right.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Temp is IMO ok at LHR. I hate sitting in a room that could rival a fridge/morgue.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Temp is IMO ok at LHR. I hate sitting in a room that could rival a fridge/morgue.
But if cold you can put something on. If I'm hot taking clothing off may end up scaring the horses
Old May 25, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tisbutascratch
But if cold you can put something on. If I'm hot taking clothing off may end up scaring the horses
Tell that to hot food. I hate it when you get hot food and by the time you walked it back to the table it is ice cold because someone thinks that keeping a room below 60F.

Apart from that, having huge temperature differences isn't exactly healthy.
Old May 25, 2017, 12:13 pm

It's one of the three days of the year when it's actually uncomfortably hot, the rest of the year it's fine
Old May 25, 2017, 1:17 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Which terminal were you in OP? I was at T5 today and did not find it uncomfortably hot. It was nice to get on the plane and be a mite cooler but the terminal building was not uncomfortable.

I just Googled HVAC at Heathrow and I wish I had not bothered. It's of a complexity way beyond my layman's understanding of such things.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's often stuffy in T5 even when the weather is cooler than today. Not pleasant. Inevitably T2 is a much nicer experience.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson VIP, Hertz Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
It's often stuffy in T5 even when the weather is cooler than today. Not pleasant. Inevitably T2 is a much nicer experience.
Inevitably?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.