Search

LHR Dixons Travel prices

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
LHR Dixons Travel prices

Hi All,

Does anybody know if there's an online listing of the phones DT sells at LHR? Failing that, is anybody at LHR today/tomorrow who wouldn't mind a sneaky photo of what they've got?

I'm trying to decide the best place to pick up a new mobile.

Many thanks in advance!

ILP
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Perhaps worth contacting the store, as items in stock will probably vary over time.

https://www.dixonstravel.com/stores/...ow/terminal-5/

Contact details for stores in other terminals are also available on line.

The thread topic is not BA specific so it may be moved.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by ILikePancakes
Hi All,

Does anybody know if there's an online listing of the phones DT sells at LHR? Failing that, is anybody at LHR today/tomorrow who wouldn't mind a sneaky photo of what they've got?

I'm trying to decide the best place to pick up a new mobile.

Many thanks in advance!

ILP
Have you looked here http://boutique.heathrow.com/ and done a search say http://boutique.heathrow.com/samsung? Gives prices so you can compare the Terminal 5 price with the High Street/Internet.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:25 am

Have you tried this website?

You can reserve shopping (not iphone 7) on line at the various Dixons Travel terminal branches at Heathrow via this website http://boutique.heathrow.com/dixons
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:38 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
I tried to use Dixons' product reservation system a year or so ago, and I also tried calling a couple of days before a flight out of T5. No-one answered.

When I got to the store, as is Dixons/Currys/PCWorld's modus operandi, I couldn't find a sales assistant willing to help, either they're over you like a rash or nowhere to be seen, so I found the item myself which happened to be in stock, then waited in line for ten minutes for the privilege of paying for it.

So if you're hoping for a consistent Dixons Group shopping experience, you'll be in for a treat. Frankly, I'd rather go to John Lewis, order from Amazon, or indulge in root canal treatment.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
The only reason I buy from Dixons Travel is the Heathrow Rewards points, these can convert to Avios (other schemes are available) and they can price match (well could last time I tried) if you can prove the price cheaper elsewhere.

You can get Heathrow Rewards points almost everywhere at LHR including bars, restaurants and most shops ranging from WH Smith up to the high end ones (although Louis Vuitton is not part of the scheme).

Then again you may get more points ordering online from the Avios eStore
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Thanks all
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
Revisiting this thread a year on, I'm looking to buy a iPad. Comparing prices between the Apple store (£409) and Dixon's T2 (£389) the difference is not the 20% that I was expecting.
Do Dixon's at LHR actually sell their products less 20% vat?
​​or am I better of buying in the high street and claiming back the VAT at the airport?
Thanks

Last edited by ironmouse; Aug 5, 2018 at 9:24 am Reason: Typo
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You need to compare the price against that offered at a Dixons / Currys / PC Works (they are all part of the same company) high street store / online store and not the price an Apple store sells it for.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:49 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ironmouse
Revisiting this thread a year on, I'm looking to buy a iPad. Comparing prices between the Apple store (£409) and Dixon's T2 (£389) the difference is not the 20% that I was expecting.
Do Dixon's at LHR actually sell their products less 20% vat?
​​or am I better of buying in the high street and claiming back the VAT at the airport?
Thanks
iPads are normally the same price on the High Street no matter where you purchase, so I’d suspect the difference is correct here.

The “Duty & Tax free” line favoured by many airport shops isn’t strictly true - for sales to customers travelling to destinations which are outside Duty Free Shopping (e.g. the EU), the VAT still has to be paid - so Dixons pay it on the £389 selling price, thereby reducing their margin.

For customers travelling to, say, the US - where VAT is not payable - Dixons pockets the 20% difference. In effect, the US traveller is subsidising the EU one.

If the store you are purchasing from is in the VAT refund scheme, you would be better off buying from them and claiming back - although there is some associated hassle, and potentially a processing fee. Only you can decide how much this is worth in terms of your time.

More information here:
https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-shopping/taxfree-shopping

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.