Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gatwick Express Or drive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by stut
The road from Gatwick into London is horrendous, even off-peak. It's all surface streets, through Croydon, Streatham and Brixton, badly congested and full of London driving quirks. There is an arguably better route through Rose Hill, but it's still going to be slow and frustrating.
I completely agree. Having driven from central London to Gatwick a couple of times in the past, I would not willingly do so again. The roads are terrible.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:04 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Mizter T
(Also, Southern trains are green and white, the Express trains are red.)

The Southern trains are almost as fast as the Express, they'll stop at East Croydon and Clapham Junction on the way to Victoria.
Well, sometimes they swap rolling stock around so you can't be 100% sure you will get a GEx train operating the GEx service.

And of course although the GEx timetable is designed so that the services have clear paths into Victoria, it doesn't always happen and all GTR trains may just stop randomly with little explanation from the driver.

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
No need to look at a timetable as they never run on time anyway !
Indeed, Thameslink trains have not run on time in the past 2-3 years of taking them, except when Southern was not operating all all due to their strikes...

This is partly because Thameslink trains are routed via Crystal Palace and Herne Hill while London Bridge station and surrounding tracks are being rebuilt, so the situation may improve when this is done in early 2018.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:10 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
While the service is far from impeccable, particularly with the recent industrial action, it's not that bad:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sear...=all&order=wtt
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:06 am

You can't rely on the train colour to identify it. It's all one company (GoVia) and they can and do swap rolling stock between the different brands.
GoVia are one of the most useless / infuriating / customer-unfriendly organisations you will ever encounter - but taking the train is still a million times less painful than dealing with the traffic in south London.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
The southern railways site makes me choose a time. Am I locked into a time for the Gatwick-Victoria ?

I have spple pay but my wife doesn't. Am I correct that we each need it (or something similar) to use it? Or can I cover us both.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
The southern railways site makes me choose a time. Am I locked into a time for the Gatwick-Victoria ?!
If it is called an "Advance" ticket, yes you have to use that specific train (at the specified time).

Otherwise no (though if it is an 'off-peak' ticket then it cannot be used during peak times).

I have apple pay but my wife doesn't. Am I correct that we each need it (or something similar) to use it? Or can I cover us both.
To use contactless to travel in London and from Gatwick (which as well as contactless cards also includes Apple Pay and Android Pay) you each need your own card or Apple/Android Pay device.

i.e. One card or device per person.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:47 am

Why are you trying to buy tickets in advance? On this route, cheap "advance" tickets are rare, and won't save much. As the oyster off-peak fare is only £8.10, it's far simpler to use that. You can get this easily in arrival, don't try and do this before arrival.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thanks! It seemed that if I bought them in advance, I would have to pick up paper tickets - I was thinking of advance to skip
the queue but it doesn't seem like I would.

i am going off peak and have Oyster cards so will get them at the station.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
i am going off peak and have Oyster cards so will get them at the station.
If you have an oyster card then you don't need a paper ticket - you just touch in and touch out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.