Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG hotels in London (recommendations)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:03 am
Original Poster

IHG hotels in London (recommendations)

My sister and I will be in London for about 3 nights in August and want to maximize our time. We are going to be taking tours that offer hotel pickup from some locations, but also start at the Victoria station.

Our original plan is to stay at the Crowne Plaza London City (it's a points night that they've added on the club level (?) that would include continental b'fast) or the HIE Southwark because it offers continental b'fast and is close to the HOHO bus route. Neither are close to any of the pickups for tours, though.

Where would you recommend staying in London? We'd like to have a hotel that includes b'fast to help save some money!

Any recommendations?
Thanks!
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
So long as you don't eat in the hotel, breakfast doesn't have to be expensive so I would bear that in mind when you're making a decision. Whilst the Club lounge at the CP is nice, the food offering is rather limited.

That said the CP is in a great location - 5 or so stops on the tube to Victoria, whilst I believe that the hop on, hop off buses stop just round the corner on Ludgate Hill, on the way up to St Pauls.

Sleep quality in the CP is also significantly better than the Southwark HIEX.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
So long as you don't eat in the hotel, breakfast doesn't have to be expensive so I would bear that in mind when you're making a decision. Whilst the Club lounge at the CP is nice, the food offering is rather limited.

That said the CP is in a great location - 5 or so stops on the tube to Victoria, whilst I believe that the hop on, hop off buses stop just round the corner on Ludgate Hill, on the way up to St Pauls.

Sleep quality in the CP is also significantly better than the Southwark HIEX.
Is the sleep quality better at CP because it's in a different area? Or why is that?

What about HIEX Victoria? Any thoughts or insight on that one?

Thanks!
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:31 am

Search for London in the IHG forum. There are hotel specific threads.

Suggest reading:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...-property.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...important.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...on-budget.html
Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Totally bizarre that you would consider CP City (which is better than IC Park Lane) and HIX Victoria in the same breath!
Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gkrnjlr
Is the sleep quality better at CP because it's in a different area? Or why is that?

What about HIEX Victoria? Any thoughts or insight on that one?

Thanks!
The soundproofing is far better in the CP (it's one of my go-to hotels in London if the rates aren't too silly) and also I think the beds are better.

Many many years ago, I stayed at the HIEX in Victoria - it was in an old building, so the soundproofing again was bad. It's also not a very inspiring area - the CP in in a good location for a number of attractions.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:23 am
Original Poster

The soundproofing is far better in the CP (it's one of my go-to hotels in London if the rates aren't too silly) and also I think the beds are better.

Many many years ago, I stayed at the HIEX in Victoria - it was in an old building, so the soundproofing again was bad. It's also not a very inspiring area - the CP in in a good location for a number of attractions.
Narrowing it down and changing gears a little bit.... if you had to choose to stay at either HIEX Victoria or Staybridge Suites Vauxhall which would you choose?

I'm reading some reviews about HIEX Victoria having mold issues. That would be a deal breaker for us to stay there.

Thanks for your help and input!
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gkrnjlr
Narrowing it down and changing gears a little bit.... if you had to choose to stay at either HIEX Victoria or Staybridge Suites Vauxhall which would you choose?

I'm reading some reviews about HIEX Victoria having mold issues. That would be a deal breaker for us to stay there.

Thanks for your help and input!
I can't sensibly help you there - as noted it's ages since I stayed at the HIEX Victoria and have never stayed at the Staybridge, but the location isn't convenient (and I would classify that as a rough part of town, although it is improving).

If you haven't been to London before, do bear in mind that public transport - including the underground - is safe and typically very efficient.

The tube from Blackfriars (opposite the CP) to Victoria Station takes 13 minutes. Google maps tells me that even in a taxi it would be 15 minutes from the Staybridge to Victoria.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:04 am
Original Poster

I can't sensibly help you there - as noted it's ages since I stayed at the HIEX Victoria and have never stayed at the Staybridge, but the location isn't convenient (and I would classify that as a rough part of town, although it is improving).

If you haven't been to London before, do bear in mind that public transport - including the underground - is safe and typically very efficient.

The tube from Blackfriars (opposite the CP) to Victoria Station takes 13 minutes. Google maps tells me that even in a taxi it would be 15 minutes from the Staybridge to Victoria.
The Staybridge Vauxhall, according to Google Maps, is a 7 min walk to the Vauxhall station and then an 8 minute ride to Victoria station. One tour we're going to be on leaves Victoria at 7:45 am. I think the other leaves around the same time. Even though it's close to the Vauxhall station - would you still say it's not a great location?

I'm just torn because I like the hotel (SS) but I like the HIEX location better.

Thanks!
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, definitely don't stay at the HIEX.

The CP will be better than the Staybridge. As noted by Raffles, it beats the IC Park Lane, and you can get from there to Victoria just as easily. And its in a very nice part of the city.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
By the time you've walked to Vauxhall station and taken the tube, you may as well have just taken the tube from across the road at the Crowne Plaza.

Alternatively if you're so hung up about your early starts in Victoria why not just ditch IHG and stay at a hotel in Victoria? It's this kind of irrational decision making driven by the loyalty program which the hotels rely on
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Only reason I am "stuck" on using IHG hotels is because I have points to get all my nights free.

So now changing again....if we didn't do Staybridge you say to do CP. To void the 50k per night would you recommend HIEX Southwark (only 35k per night)?

I am sold on the Staybridge Vauxhall hotel (b'fast, manager's reception, and self serve laundry, for our last night there) but not the location.

Okay - so scrapping the HIEX Victoria - what about HIEX Southwark in comparison to Staybridge Vauxhall?

You're all a ton of help. Thanks!
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:46 pm

I can't comment on the rooms but the HIEX Southwark is in a much better location than anything in Vauxhall. It's an excellent area to stay, walkable to most of London's top attractions both west and east. You also have Borough Market right there as well as lots of good restaurants/pubs in and around the Cut, plus great theatres too.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:27 am

I agree that the Holiday Inn Express (HIEX) Southwark can be a great location; but one thing that you might want to bear in mind is that the hotel is under-going major building works at present. I live very close by, walk past most days, and have been watching progress with interest. The official statement on the HI website says:

A 12- bedroom extension and restoration work on the façade of the Holiday Inn Express London Southwark began on 1st September 2016. The project will be concluded in 4 phases and will last approximately until 1st August 2017. We shall remain open during this time and endeavor to keep any disruption to a minimum.
Which I certainly think under-plays that amount of work going on at the present time. Of course it may all be materially complete by your expected stay date and/or reflected in the rates being charged; but it is definitely something I would want to be aware of before booking.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:40 am

In case anyone is interested then the extension plans for the HIEX Southwark (including before and after floor layouts) can be found on the Southwark Council website

http://planbuild.southwark.gov.uk/do...0524&system=DC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.