Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Android pay on TFL with American Credit or debit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Blue, Avios, Accor Basic, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by tmiw
It was reported working in the US contactless card thread a few months ago and definitely worked for me when I was there late October. (Apple Pay, but I imagine Android Pay would be the same.)
I believe Apple Pay and Android Pay are different approaches technically, though I can't be sure...
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by andrewkeith5
I believe Apple Pay and Android Pay are different approaches technically, though I can't be sure...
They both use NFC technology so I can't imagine how they'd be different from TfL's perspective.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 4:27 am

Try deleting and readding the card before you go next and see if that helps any. The card likely needs to be reprovisioned to get the additional data needed for TfL to work.
Will do.

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Why didn't you buy an Oystercard and get the refund on a future trip?
I haven't been to UK in at least a decade and this was simply a long layover, with no expectation to be there again any time soon. On this layover I learned that my One Pound coins left from last time have been expired (I put them in the charity collection envelope later on the BA flight; I assume they'll be able to extract some value still). Therefore no desire to donate to Oystercard. ;-)
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Blue, Avios, Accor Basic, IHG Gold

They both use NFC technology so I can't imagine how they'd be different from TfL's perspective.
NFC is just a communications protocol - it can be used in potentially endless different ways. The differences are around the way the cards are stored, secured, presented and authorised. Apple Pay is considered an authorised, customer-present transaction the same way Chip & Pin is because it requires a fingerprint or PIN; from what I've seen of Android Pay (personally I haven't used it), it doesn't seem to require any user authentication. That might not be the key difference in this case, but i do believe that the systems are slightly different and it does make a difference to payment terminals.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Maayan
I haven't been to UK in at least a decade and this was simply a long layover, with no expectation to be there again any time soon.
I think that you could've gotten rid of it quite easily if you have know anyone heading to London. Alternatively, you could've gotten rid of it on craigslist or something similar. The individual tickets you picked were certainly the most comfortable solution in your situation. I was just wondering if you consider buying an Oystercard and just giving it to a friend/family member heading to London in the foreseeable time.

Originally Posted by Maayan
On this layover I learned that my One Pound coins left from last time have been expired (I put them in the charity collection envelope later on the BA flight; I assume they'll be able to extract some value still)
FWIW my bank wouldn't take them. They accepted the expired £5 notes but wouldn't take old £1 coins (I changed three coins I found between couch cushions at an older change machine that gives back £0.2 coins).
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by andrewkeith5
NFC is just a communications protocol - it can be used in potentially endless different ways. The differences are around the way the cards are stored, secured, presented and authorised. Apple Pay is considered an authorised, customer-present transaction the same way Chip & Pin is because it requires a fingerprint or PIN; from what I've seen of Android Pay (personally I haven't used it), it doesn't seem to require any user authentication. That might not be the key difference in this case, but i do believe that the systems are slightly different and it does make a difference to payment terminals.
There are differences on the device level, sure, but both should work wherever contactless payment is accepted (in theory, anyway).
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:36 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by WorldLux
FWIW my bank wouldn't take them. They accepted the expired £5 notes but wouldn't take old £1 coins (I changed three coins I found between couch cushions at an older change machine that gives back £0.2 coins).
Which bank is that? All banks are still supposed to be accepting them for deposits.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:32 pm
Suspended

just adding data point. I used android and apple pay during our trip in Dec 17 for tubes and gatwick express. Works flawlessly with Citi prestige MC and got the discounted pricing. Love the fact, I don't have to buy/return the oyster card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.