Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Trains East Coast

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Virgin Trains East Coast

My sister and I are leaning towards taking the train from EDI to LON with hopes that it'll be a scenic route....? I noticed that some cars on the train have a table and only two seats. As much as we do enjoy meeting others we would like to have a table for just the two of us. How do we reserve those seats? The dates we are going to be traveling are not available yet, but when I start a trial reservation those tables for two are not available even on the furthest day out.

Can you tell me how to get a table for 2?

Thank you!
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:16 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Easy - these are first class seats. Book through VTEC's own website, and as part of the process, you'll be given the chance to change seats, and a seatmap will pop up.

Best side is the right hand side. Note that the really scenic bit is north of Newcastle (although there are certainly points of interest further south).
Old Nov 5, 2016, 3:36 am

OP is heading south, so they need to be on the left hand side
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When booking the seat selection function is a bit clunky. The basic steps

* After you have selected the train and ticket type you go to the first confirmation page which summarises the trip.
* On the right there is a Order Summary box with a red button labelled View Your Seat.
* Click this and a window opens with the seat plan.
* Click Change Seat and the map will open allowing you to sit where you want.
* Do not forget to hit Confirm when you are done.

Very occasionally trains end up in reverse formation so your carefully selected left hand seats end up on the right. In which case just look for 2 unreserved seats and move - this is allowed.

Also worth travelling on a weekday as the free catering offer is pretty decent. VTEC First beats flying hands down.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 5:34 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by alanR
OP is heading south, so they need to be on the left hand side
Oops, yes, my skim reading fail, there...
Old Nov 5, 2016, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all your help! Some of schedules say "Overtaken" what exactly does that mean?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by gkrnjlr
Thank you for all your help! Some of schedules say "Overtaken" what exactly does that mean?
It means a train that departs later than yours actually arrives at the destination before yours because it skips some stops.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
They are probably the Virgin West coast services via Carlisle and Birmingham to London Euston - which is quite different to the East Coast route (and quite a lot longer).
If you want to select your seat, I think you will have to use the correct website for the route - either Virgin Trains or Virgin Trains East Coast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.