Friendly advice needed - U. K. Trip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:01 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Friendly advice needed - U. K. Trip

Friends,

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I a m behind in planning our delayed honeymoon trip that begins early next month. The Iceland portion is finalized as is hotel accommodation for London, Edinburgh and Glasgow. But, I want to reach out and ask for sage advice.

1. We will be arriving on Delta at LHR on a Friday around 8 am. We will have two bags each. How would you recommend we best navigate to our Mercer Street Convent Garden hotel?

2. We have five days in London and I want to maximize tourist sightseeing while there.. First time for hubby. We also want to do Stonehenge and castles. Any tour groups you recommend? Other things to do?

3. Any sightseeing passes we should look to get? Or other deals?

4. What train option do you recommend to get from London to Edinburgh?

5. Any recommendations on things to do in Edinburgh?

6. What train or bus service do you recommend from Edinburgh to Glasgow?

7. Any recommendations on things to do in Glasgow?

I know that is a lot of questions... Appreciate any suggestions on any portion of it.

Now, off to read the forum in detail for suggestions.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 13, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
#1 - you likely won't have cleared immigration (longer queues as non-EU) + collected bags until after the main bit of the rush hour, so I'd suggest you just hop on the tube (underground). It'll take you straight to Covent Garden (and some other stations around there that might actually be closer). Use a contactless debit or credit card if you have one, otherwise get an Oyster card. Don't buy a paper ticket, they're too expensive!

#4 - Main one on that route is Virgin Trains East Coast. Cheap advanced tickets (fixed to one train) go on sale about 3 months out. Buy an advanced purchase 1st class ticket if you can - isn't usually too expensive, and much nicer as you get bigger seats + free wifi + free food and drink.

Otherwise, if you sleep like a log and don't want to see the lovely scenery on the northern half of the trip, book a cheap advanced ticket on the sleeper train.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 12:15 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by wharvey
Friends,

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I a m behind in planning our delayed honeymoon trip that begins early next month. The Iceland portion is finalized as is hotel accommodation for London, Edinburgh and Glasgow. But, I want to reach out and ask for sage advice.
Congratulations! Hope the wedding is excellent and that you have a fantastic honeymoon.

1. We will be arriving on Delta at LHR on a Friday around 8 am. We will have two bags each. How would you recommend we best navigate to our Mercer Street Convent Garden hotel?
Two checked bags? Uber or pre-booked taxi (see the discussion on this forum). The Tube is direct, which is handy, but I wouldn't take that much luggage on it.

2. We have five days in London and I want to maximize tourist sightseeing while there.. First time for hubby. We also want to do Stonehenge and castles. Any tour groups you recommend? Other things to do?
Standard advice is to reconsider Stonehenge, but I say go for it - but try and find a tour that gives you some time in both Salisbury city and Avebury. It is doable off your own back with a train/bus/attraction combination ticket from South West Trains if you prefer.

Others are better placed than I to advise on tour groups.

As for other attractions, I could go on for pages. Any particular interests you'd like to indulge?

3. Any sightseeing passes we should look to get? Or other deals?
Not really. Most of the major London museums are free (conversely, some of the most expensive things like Madam Tussaud's are the least worthwhile). But do a search on this forum for London 2-for-1 offers, as this can save money on the likes of the London Eye and Tower.

4. What train option do you recommend to get from London to Edinburgh?
Virgin Trains East Coast, as noted above. Pricing is airline-style (cheap tickets are limited in number and inflexible) but tickets are only released on the Friday 12 weeks before travel (less during holiday periods, sometimes). Get the tickets direct from http://www.virgintrainseastcoast.co.uk/ rather than RailEurope or TheTrainline to avoid unnecessary surcharges. You can pick them up from any ticket machine using a credit card.

Definitely go for 1st class if you can - and pick your seats as you book.

You do also have the option of travelling overnight via the Caledonian Sleeper, but you miss the scenery by doing that (and have to be good at sleeping on trains!)

Virgin Trains (not East Coast) do also have a limited service via Birmingham, which is slower and occasionally cheaper, but I couldn't recommend it particularly, unless it's a really significant saving.

6. What train or bus service do you recommend from Edinburgh to Glasgow?
There was a thread on this recently. Broadly, there is a shuttle train service from Edinburgh Waverley to Glasgow Queen Street which takes 45 minutes. That's usually the best. Watch out for the commuter lines linking the two cities (there's actually 4 routes).

7. Any recommendations on things to do in Glasgow?
All the big things are worthwhile - Kelvingrove, the Burrell Collection, the Botanical Gardens and hanging around Byres Road, the Cathedral and Necropolis, etc, etc. But I'd also recommend a trip out to one of the nearby islands - catch the train down to Largs for Millport, Ardrossan for Arran or Wemyss Bay for Rothesay. The Firth of Clyde is a beautiful area (and very accessible from the city).
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice.

Anyone done the Warner Bros Harry Potter Tour? Thoughts?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
William,

We flew into LHR this past October. No problem with the tube, but we each had one piece of luggage plus our carry-ons. More than that would have been difficult to maneuver.

In London, I have always enjoyed the various walking tours. Day trips are fine, but the walking tours have always been our favorites.

We did the Virgin Trains East in first class; between the food, whisky, and the train route, I couldn't have been happier up to Edinburgh; will likely never fly between the two again

In Edinburgh, we just love to walk and wander. For both cities, I have liked the hop on, hop off bus tours to get a better perspective of the city

Yes, as Stut said, the train from Edinburgh Waverly to Glasgow Queen Street is the way to go.

In Glasgow, the City Hall tour was fascinating - who would have thought?

We can always get lost in both Edinburgh and Glasgow for a couple of days each; there are always things to stumble upon.

Congratulations on the wedding. I was surprised to see that you were flying Delta and then I looked at your location and realized that you moved again!
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
If you are going to buy advance rail tickets you certainly need to get on with it but if your plans turn out to involve enough rail travel you may find the Britrail pass pays off. You can then get seat reservations from most stations a little ahead of departure. If you travel standard class do not attempt it without a seat reservation unless you like standing for hours.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by stut
[...]
Virgin Trains East Coast, as noted above. [...]

Virgin Trains (not East Coast) [...]
Just a quick note re Virgin Trains, and I don't blame people for getting confused by this!

The Virgin Trains brand is now in use on two main 'inter-city' rail routes in the UK. On the West Coast mainline, Virgin Trains has run the service since 1997. The brand/name used is simply "Virgin Trains" most of the time, occasionally "Virgin Trains West Coast" so as to distinguish from...

Virgin Trains East Coast, which is the brand/name used on the East Coast mainline, though only since 2015. Most of the time they use the full "Virgin Trains East Coast" name.

This page outlines the two routes (including a simplified route map).

(They are actually distinct companies - the West Coast company is owned 51% by Virgin Group, 49% by Stagecoach Group, whilst the East Coast company is owned 90% by Stagecoach, 10% by Virgin Group.)
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Despite being a Glaswegian I always find it hard to give advice on what to see and do in Glasgow as everyone has their own interests. My wife is forever dragging me around galleries and museums whenever we're on holiday and I really can't be bothered with them especially when you have to pay to get in. I much prefer being outside wandering about. At least the museums and galleries in Glasgow are still free to enter (as far as I know) so great if that's one of your interests and if not you have nothing to lose.....and they always have a tea room.
Having said that the Glasgow Art School tour tickled my fancy even though it wasn't free. Sadly they had a large fire there a while ago which may have put the kibosh on that idea.

If you have the time and the weather is good stut's idea of getting away for the day is good. I would head for Arran or take the train to Loch Lomond. If the weather isn't favourable and you don't have much spare time then just stay in the city.

I've used both the train and coach for trips between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Both have regular services and are enjoyable so either will do.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Have a look at getting a rail card such as the 'two together'. It could save you a lot of money.

A random date for October (wed 5th October mornings) shows first class fares from King's X to EDI for £179 - £198 for the both of you. With a 2 together card it's down to £116 - £130
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
A random date for October (wed 5th October mornings) shows first class fares from King's X to EDI for £179 - £198 for the both of you. With a 2 together card it's down to £116 - £130
I see a range of GBP176 to GBP450 but the two together card still makes sense. If OP wants the flexibility of last minute decisions then the BritRail pass may make sense.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:15 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Have a look at getting a rail card such as the 'two together'. It could save you a lot of money.
If you're planning to do a reasonable amount of train travel, this is an excellent suggestion. 'Two Together' railcards are a reasonably recent addition to the range (around 2013, I think), enabling people who are not students/pensioners or travel with children to get discounts for the first time.

The cards cost £30 (£27 online with a discount code), but that would mean shipping to your home address which probably isn't practical. You may be better getting your photos taken at a booth and applying at a station when you arrive - the cost is the same, other than the additional photos. Your nationality is not important - anyone can have one.

The cards will save you 1/3 on tickets for off-peak periods. With an absolute handful of exceptions, mostly on reasonably obscure local trains, this is after 9.30am weekdays, and all weekend.

You can apply for rail tickets before you have the card, it just needs to be valid on your day of travel. You must carry it with you because you may (in theory will, but sometimes they trust you and don't check) be asked to produce it.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:57 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
+2 for the Two Together - we use one and have saved a small fortune on it.

If you happen to be over 50, you also get discounts in Scotland without a railcard:

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/offers/club50

(Although if you do have a railcard, that's better!)
Old Sep 14, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Larrude

In Glasgow, the City Hall tour was fascinating - who would have thought?
^ Seriously good call, and not one which most Glaswegians (myself included) would have come up with.

I've not done the official tour, but have been in the City Chambers (as we say here) often for work and civic receptions. It is a magnificent building inside - a real glory to admire, but it's also interesting how it was essentially paid for by the slave and tobacco trade.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 11:19 am
Original Poster

We leave on October 4th for London. Think the Two Together card would arrive here in states by then?

Prefer doing in advance.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey
We leave on October 4th for London. Think the Two Together card would arrive here in states by then?

Prefer doing in advance.
It can only be mailed to a UK address.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.