Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beer Gardens for Plane Spotting Around Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Beer Gardens for Plane Spotting Around Heathrow

Flying out from T5 with the family on Saturday morning and stopping the night before in the Sheraton Skyline on Bath Road. It looks like it will be a lovely warm afternoon - perfect for a nice cold beer watching the planes come in with the kids.

Previously we've been to the grassy mound at the back of the Premier Inn which has a few picnic tables and good views.

Can anyone recommend anywhere else within a mile or so of the Skyline with a decent outdoor area and good views of the planes?
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I may be wrong, it's been a few years, but I think if you walk over to the Premier Inn Bath Road it has seating out the back which over looks the runway. Not sure if it's just coffee or beer that you can get but others may have more info
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:48 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
If you're allowed to drink in the bar of the Thistle hotel without being a resident, that would get my vote. Otherwise the Three Magpies seems the obvious choice.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:49 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
The Plough pub is good in my opinion and has a few benches outside. 6 stops by bus 222 from the Sheraton.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:54 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
The Green Man in Hatton is a bit further but right under the southern runway path if that's the right direction on the day.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Breakfast room in the Thistle Hotel - the one connected via the Pod and the free bus to T5 - has a truly amazing view of the north (9L) runway's movements and T5 operations. It has a long bank of large windows by the tables, and an outdoor terrace connected through French windows, and it's one floor up too.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pauldb
The Green Man in Hatton is a bit further but right under the southern runway path if that's the right direction on the day.
The Green Man gets my vote. It's extremely close to the threshold of 27L and aircraft pass so low overhead you can literally count rivets Don't forget to bring earphones though
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:44 am

Programs: BAEC
Another vote for the Green Man. From the Sheraton you can hop on the bus (it's free around Heathrow) to Hatton Cross (Numbers 285, 423, 555), then it's a further 5 mins walk up the road. There is a large garden right under the flight path, and the food is ok there.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Breakfast room in the Thistle Hotel - the one connected via the Pod and the free bus to T5 - has a truly amazing view of the north (9L) runway's movements and T5 operations. It has a long bank of large windows by the tables, and an outdoor terrace connected through French windows, and it's one floor up too.

Yes, this was last year. Quite entertaining.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Another vote for the Thistle hotel bar and viewing terrace. No problem for non-residents to go there, I have been many times both as a resident and non-resident at the hotel.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:10 am

Programs: UA, HA
Great recommendations! New way to pass time near LHR.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:22 am

Location: Northumberland (The big bit between Newcastle & Scotland).
Programs: BAEC & VS.
Definitely the Thistle Hotel Bar Terrace if they are using easterlies - this shot I took in June gives an idea.
Even if westerly's are in use you still have a decent view of BA ops at T5 as you can see in the distance from my pic.

HL7615 by , on Flickr
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
There's some tables outside the McDonsld's beside the shell garage and Premier Inn T5.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 5:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Bat 21
- this shot I took in June gives an idea
That certainly is close up and personal!
Old Aug 4, 2016, 5:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Bat 21
Definitely the Thistle Hotel Bar Terrace if they are using easterlies - this shot I took in June gives an idea.
Even if westerly's are in use you still have a decent view of BA ops at T5 as you can see in the distance from my pic.
Wow. Definitely trying this next time I have a T5 flight on a sunny day!
Even if it's westerly or I'm travelling with people who have no interest in planes, it looks like a great spot for a beer on a sunny day near T5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.