Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Where can I find...? When you know the information must be here, but can't find it)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where can I find...? When you know the information must be here, but can't find it)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens

I figured I turn my current predicament into a potentially useful thread. Figured it would make sense to have a thread where people can ask 'directions' to threads covering a topic if they can't find it despite trying their best.

What I was looking for is an up to date LCY arrival guide. I looked but failed, and I was half sure it is there somewhere.

Is there a thread that helps someone without 'the knowledge' find the easiest/cheapest/fastest/most frustrating way to get from LCY to - in my case - Chiswell Street, City of London (London City Suites hotel). I arrive on Sunday evening around 7PM. I think I read that Uber pick ups are frustratingly hard, cabs very expensive and I have a runner's injury, so I can't (don't want to) walk for miles either.

Point me or help me please! Thanks!
Old May 18, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold
According to citymapper app, DLR to West Ham and then Hammersmith & City tube to Barbican followed by a 6 minute walk.

Total fare (oyster or contactless card) is £2.40; estimated journey time 46 minutes.

Sit at the front of the first train and rear of the second.
Old May 18, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold
Not sure quite where on Chiswell St the hotel is but the DLR to Bank would be around half an hour then you'd be just over 1/2 a mile away so a 10-15min walk or short black cab ride.
Old May 18, 2016, 2:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes I don't recall a LCY Arrivals Thread, and I think I would have remembered it. So you were indeed looking for the impossible. BA FT loves a bit of Mornington Crescent, so there are loads of threads about various ways around airports, but not a LCY Arrivals per se.

DLR is built into LCY, it's not very far, under 200 metres, impossible to miss, and frankly the fastest/cheapest option. Just remember that on DLR you must tap in and out (the tube connection will handle the out bit). Look upwards just before taking the escalators for the signs for the touch pads. If you're on an escalator untapped, you've gone too far.
Old May 18, 2016, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks. Tapping is Oyster Card? I won't be in London that often, so a day card seems more logical and that is a paper ticket that I can buy at the DLR station I guess. Paper don't tap though.

I am hopeless at public transport. Haven't even used it in my own country in over 10 years. The only PT I like is the subway in NYC. I find that most options are inconvenient for the very occasional user. How much is a cab from LCY?

Thanks for the information all! ^
Old May 18, 2016, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See this post in the UK and Ireland forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/8701712-post5.html

Citymapper, google maps, and the TfL planner would be where I would turn to plan routes from LCY.
Old May 18, 2016, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
See this post in the UK and Ireland forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/8701712-post5.html

Citymapper, google maps, and the TfL planner would be where I would turn to plan routes from LCY.
^ Jerry! All I need and more.
Old May 18, 2016, 2:23 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Thanks. Tapping is Oyster Card?
Or your bank card if it has a contactless sign on it. This is very much the new thing in public transport, even in the United States this form of payment is blossoming. I was going to say it was a bit like your OV-Chipkaart (only better), but it seems that wouldn't help! Or Apple Pay / watch and what-not. A paper ticket costs a lot more, it's basically a fleecing mechanism for any rich tourists who don't do technology or Google, but at least needs no tapping.
Old May 18, 2016, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Or your bank card if it has a contactless sign on it.
Note though that some Dutch cards won't work though, so be prepared to buy a paper ticket!
Old May 18, 2016, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have contactless payment on my bank card (for which you have to almost press it against the machine, so what's in a name....) as well as my MasterCard. And now I am intrigued enough to try it. I need to be dragged kicking and screaming into this century.

It seems much better than the OV chipkaart. Lots of problems there and heads have rolled. This is so much more logical than yet another payment card.
Old May 18, 2016, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by henkybaby
I have contactless payment on my bank card (for which you have to almost press it against the machine, so what's in a name....) as well as my MasterCard. And now I am intrigued enough to try it. I need to be dragged kicking and screaming into this century.

It seems much better than the OV chipkaart. Lots of problems there and heads have rolled. This is so much more logical than yet another payment card.
As noted by C-W-S, paying by any method other than cash is preferable for TfL.
Some contactless card/applepay issues with regard to their use in London are discussed here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...-pay-tube.html
https://contactless.tfl.gov.uk/
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...nd-london.html
Old May 18, 2016, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by 710 77345
Note though that some Dutch cards won't work though, so be prepared to buy a paper ticket!
I nearly fell over with surprise when my Swiss card worked (after some kind local had educated me on buying a ticket....I foolishly tried to profer the bus driver cash having identified that it was not a buy-before-boarding line!)

Had no idea my card did contactless payment
Old May 18, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
On the topic of finding things on here, one personal recommendation is Google - remember it's the most powerful search engine there is.
Type site:flyertalk.com then a space and your query - it's often considerably more powerful than the built in forum search
Old May 18, 2016, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by hcuk94
On the topic of finding things on here, one personal recommendation is Google - remember it's the most powerful search engine there is.
Type site:flyertalk.com then a space and your query - it's often considerably more powerful than the built in forum search
Wow, great tip. Thanks! I hate the search on this site.
Old May 18, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by bluemoon68
According to citymapper app, DLR to West Ham and then Hammersmith & City tube to Barbican followed by a 6 minute walk.

Total fare (oyster or contactless card) is £2.40; estimated journey time 46 minutes.

Sit at the front of the first train and rear of the second.
Dlr direct to bank, then up a few stairs (or up an escalator and down a few seps) to the Northern line north to Moorgate, then it's a gentle flat walk around to the brewery

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.