Wiki Posts
Search

Scotland - Can you help me?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Scotland - Can you help me?

So I'm thinking to do Scotland this summer, maybe late June. I'm wanting to do some of the main hiking sights. Loch ness, craigmorie crag, glen affric with a hike to summit of Am Meallan. Then the Isle of Lewis, Isle of Harris, Isle of Skye. Finish off with hiking in Glencoe. Then relax for a few days in Edinburgh before returning back to states.

Do I need to rent a car for this? Can I just do public transport? Kind of overwhelmed with how to organize this.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd definitely hire a car. The freedom of having your own transport especially for when the weather turns bad will make the whole trip much more enjoyable. Public transport links are rather limited in some rural areas and will involve a lot of hanging about. Ditch the car as soon as you arrive in Edinburgh.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:26 am

A car will give you a great deal of flexibility, and while public transport is most probably entirely possible it will mean waiting for buses and trains and cost in terms of taxis to stations so not a good idea if trying to see a lot in a short period of time.

Make sure you rent an automatic, as many cars will have a manual/stick shift gearbox which can be a challenge if you're not familiar with them.

If you're into trains, take a look at a trip aboard the Belmond Royal Scotsman:

www.belmond.com/royal-scotsman-train/

...and don't forget to visit Her Majesty's former floating palace, the Royal Yacht Britannia when in Edinburgh:

http://www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk/

..and you can also head out to see a Concorde at the Aviation Museum about an hour north of EDI:

http://www.nms.ac.uk/national-museum...de-experience/

Obviously you should look to avoid, or book well in advance for, the Edinburgh Fringe during August:

https://www.edfringe.com/
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by oscietra

...and don't forget to visit Her Majesty's former floating palace, the Royal Yacht Britannia when in Edinburgh:
I'd forget the Britannia and Concorde....they're just museum pieces.

If you have cash to splash go on the Hebridean Princess or charter your own sea plane.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I did London and Scotland in 2014. I took the train from London to Edinburg, stayed a night and then picked up a car at the train station - very easy to do. I did it in the fall so there was no pressure to advance book hotels - I just went where the weather was decent and found cheap or free w/ points hotels day to day - Stirling, St. Andrews, Inverness, Oban, Glasgow... Returned the car to the train station and headed back to London from there.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Okay so sounds like a car is the right thing to do and will give her back upon returning to Edinburgh.

The hotels actually seem fairly inexpensive throughout Scotland so that won't be bad. Does it make sense to have a hiking guide with or is it fairly easy for "do it yourself" travel?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'd definitely hire a car. The freedom of having your own transport especially for when the weather turns bad will make the whole trip much more enjoyable. Public transport links are rather limited in some rural areas and will involve a lot of hanging about. Ditch the car as soon as you arrive in Edinburgh.
+1 - a car is essential in your hiking area.

Scottish schools close for the summer around 24 June so bear that in mind re availability for accomodation. It's also worth planning carefully with ferries to the Hebrides. Check out fares and sailings here.

A car in Edinburgh is not practical so you could consider taking the beautiful West Highland Line railway to Fort William or Oban/Mallaig and renting a car there

Buy tickets well in advance for best prices
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Okay so sounds like a car is the right thing to do and will give her back upon returning to Edinburgh.

The hotels actually seem fairly inexpensive throughout Scotland so that won't be bad. Does it make sense to have a hiking guide with or is it fairly easy for "do it yourself" travel?
Outside of the main cities hotel quality can be a bit of a mixed bag. Far better to use bed and breakfast establishments as the quality of them has improved immensely over the years with en suite bathrooms, all mod cons including free wifi and hearty breakfasts. Also consider self catering if you want to spend some time in one area....saves having to pack and unpack every day.

You can search for info and guides on the internet an example here for the areas you want to explore so I don't see any need to buy.

Last edited by HIDDY; Feb 19, 2016 at 10:18 am
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
The West Highland line is definitely worth a visit, especially the Fort William to Mallaig section, it's so ridiculously scenic you'll be constantly snapping photos. If you're a Harry Potter fan you can ride the Hogwart's Express on this line (real name The Jacobite) but the scheduled Scotrail service is a fraction of the price.

I did a weekend rail trip up that way last summer - Edinburgh to Fort William, Fort William to Mallaig, ferry across to Skye, bus through Skye over the bridge to the Kyle if Lochalsh, train to Inverness and train back to Edinburgh. The train tickets were £50 in total (with a railcard.)

Having a railcard will save you around 30%, most are aimed at specific groups; U-25s, over 60s, military, but one that's open to everyone is the 'two together' card, if you're travelling with a companion.
http://www.twotogether-railcard.co.u...getherrailcard As far as I'm aware this card is also available to non-UK residents (unless anyone knows different?)

Have a great trip and don't forget to buy a good insect repellent - the Scottish midges are vicious.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
If you're flying into London rather than Edinburgh or Glasgow have a look at the Caledonian sleeper train www.sleeper.scot you can go to bed in London and wake up in Fort William.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks Tiff great suggestions!!
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
Yes the Royal Yacht is boring....you can see it for free from the Ocean Shopping Centre.
Have a coffee at Costa on Princess Street,great views from the shop over to the Castle.
Take a train from Edinburgh waverly to Inverkiething,and go over the Forth Railway bridge,South Queensferry is worth a visit too.
If you feel brave and wrapped up warm,walk over the Forth Road bridge to Fife,a great experience.
if you are going to Inverness you can do a day trip to Orkney...
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Tiffywren
[...]
Having a railcard will save you around 30%, most are aimed at specific groups; U-25s, over 60s, military, but one that's open to everyone is the 'two together' card, if you're travelling with a companion.
http://www.twotogether-railcard.co.u...getherrailcard As far as I'm aware this card is also available to non-UK residents (unless anyone knows different?)
It's available to everyone. Will need 2x passport sized photographs of the two holders when buying from a station.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by liamvad
Yes the Royal Yacht is boring...
I beg to differ, I found it fascinating, but it depends on what floats your boat.

I agree with pretty much all the other suggestions in this thread, though.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 9:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Efrem
I beg to differ, I found it fascinating, but it depends on what floats your boat.

I agree with pretty much all the other suggestions in this thread, though.
Most of the destinations that I listed, the hiking, the nature, and castles are my main interests. And then upon returning to Edinburgh, everything is of interest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.