Best Deal for London Hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond

Disclaimer:
I have searched for a "master" London hotel thread without success.
If there is one, please point me in the right direction and I'll post my question there if it isn't already answered.

Anyway, I am currently looking for a hotel in London for one night on February 23rd. Prices seem to be through the roof, the Meridien is already sold out on SPG's website...?! Is there anything specific going on that day?

My girl-friend and I will arrive at Heathrow and fly out from Stansted the following day. She hasn't been to London before and it's also been a while since my last visit, so we'd like to stay close to the main sights (but ideally also have a good connection to the airports).

I have a IHG free night voucher, but that doesn't seem to be redeemable on that day. I also have 6k IHG points, so that's not very much.

I'm an IHG Gold Ambassador and I have Hilton Gold, SPG Gold (will actually have completed an SPG Platinum challenge that day, but I'm assuming it will take some time for the status to get updated), ClubCarlson Gold, Accor Platinum, Steigenberger Prestige, GHA Discovery Platinum.

I have about 1.800 SPG points, but I will have some more in two weeks, as I'm going to have some more nights with Starwood in the coming days.
But that probably still won't be enough.

I also have a Platinum American Express card with 100k+ MR points.

The larger brands seem to demand at least about 230 GBP per night.
Booking.com offers "The Nadler Victoria" for 120 GBP. That hotel has excellent reviews, but it's not part of a chain and I obviously wouldn't get an upgrade.

I don't know, what would you do?
I don't really feel like paying too much, something up to 160 GBP per night would be nice... Maybe there is some way to use points or make use of some best-rate guarantee?

Thank you very much in advance.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:18 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
London's often like that these days, I'm afraid. I tend to just search the meta-search engines in the hope of a deal (or leave it for LateRooms if you have the stomach for a last-minute booking...)

If you want a big chain - you mention you have Hilton Gold - I can see a good rate on the Hampton Waterloo at amoma.com and ebookers.com at the moment. Searching Kayak and Trivago are giving a few good offers for that date.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I have to admit I haven't used my Hilton Gold status yet (it came with my credit card). It doesn't seem like Hilton gives out upgrades at Hampton properties?
The Hampton price looks nice, though... But it's just a 3 star property, whereas the Nadler Victoria has 4 stars and is brand new...
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:36 am

It's Half-Term school holidays.

Use BFT for pricing intel:

http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/for...n#.Vrs8cpOLRE4

...then www.priceline.com

Should get you something decent for under $100.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:45 am

Using the IHG Friends & Family rate I found the Holiday Inn Mayfair to be £169 including tax & VAT. I stayed there in July 2014 w/ family and LOVED the location and proximity to the tube. Take the Piccadilly line from from Heathrow to Green Park station and its less than 1 block walk to the hotel.
Its a fine hotel for one night, and I'd much rather spend a bit more to be in a good location.

http://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/glob...0401-_-AM17071
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:31 am
Original Poster

A Holiday Inn for 169 GBP? Ugh... :/

Thanks, Priceline was a good idea.
They have an "Express Deal" for a five-star property in Mayfair-Soho for 192 € (150 GBP).
Hotwire has a five star hotel in the Mayfair - Picadilly Circus - Soho area for 177 € (137 GBP).
The only thing is that I'm almost sure the Hotwire hotel is the Sheraton Park Lane, which has devastating reviews.
So I'm a bit afraid I might get the same on Priceline (either by taking the Express Deal or bidding 170€/135 GBP or so)...

The alternative would be to book the Intercontinental Park Lane on IHG.com for 280 GBP and then giving a best-rate claim a try, Priceline sells the same room for 298 € / 231 GBP.
Or I could just book it from Priceline... But do they give the Gold Ambassador benefits (upgrade) when you've booked through a third-party website?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory

Thanks, Priceline was a good idea.
They have an "Express Deal" for a five-star property in Mayfair-Soho for 192 € (150 GBP).
Hotwire has a five star hotel in the Mayfair - Picadilly Circus - Soho area for 177 € (137 GBP).
The only thing is that I'm almost sure the Hotwire hotel is the Sheraton Park Lane, which has devastating reviews.
So I'm a bit afraid I might get the same on Priceline (either by taking the Express Deal or bidding 170€/135 GBP or so)...

The alternative would be to book the Intercontinental Park Lane on IHG.com for 280 GBP and then giving a best-rate claim a try, Priceline sells the same room for 298 € / 231 GBP.
Or I could just book it from Priceline... But do they give the Gold Ambassador benefits (upgrade) when you've booked through a third-party website?
A better question for the IHG forum.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
I understand the allure of a 5 star hotel but for one night? How long are you going to be in your room?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Yes, exactly. For one night I might be able to afford it, but not for a week.
But then again, I have lots of longer stays coming up, so maybe I should go for something cheaper...

But it would be great to get a 5 star hotel for 140 GBP, unless it's the Sheraton Park Lane...
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Book the Nadler (especially if you can double dip through hotels.com and Quidco). That is a good price for Central London and a lot of town is walkable from there. Paying more to stay in a chain hotel in the hope of scoring a upgrade seems a bit futile to me.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Book the Nadler (especially if you can double dip through hotels.com and Quidco). That is a good price for Central London and a lot of town is walkable from there. Paying more to stay in a chain hotel in the hope of scoring a upgrade seems a bit futile to me.
Thank you. I guess you're right. Just made the booking, and I hadn't even thought of cashback websites like Quidco.
(I just hope they pay the cashback to non-UK residents, too.)
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:08 pm

London hotel deals on Travelzoo

http://m.travelzoo.com/hotels/international/-86-165-London-4-and-5-Star-Hotels-up-to-55-Off-2202929/?utm_source=_Twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaig n=LondonHotels&source=_twitter
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

The Sheraton Park Lane has renovated rooms (not all yet) and I liked my king room (review on my blog philatravelgirl)

If small room is ok, check out the many Z Hotels - I did a site visit at the Soho location http://philatravelgirl.com/london_for_less_z_hotel_soho/

Other options The Hoxton or Citizen M or Club Quarters
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:35 am
Original Poster

The Travelzoo deals (luckily) didn't contain anything interesting as I made my booking for the Nadler Victoria yesterday.

I might have considered the Sheraton had I known that the rooms are renovated, but then again, there were recent reviews on Tripadvisor that advised strongly against staying there before the renovation has been completed.

I guess the Nadler isn't too bad a choice.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:43 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
It's a bit late now, but using the MR points for Club Carlson could be an option, Raffles quite like a few of the central London ones and IIRC they aren't all too expensive. Another is to redeem the MR points for a Melia stay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.