Wiki Posts
Search

Boutique Hotel Edinburgh

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Boutique Hotel Edinburgh

Looking for a smaller, trendier hotel in Edinburgh for a 2-3 night stay in June -- steering away from the Balmoral types and international chains.

Currently holding a reservation at Le Monde. Is Tigerlily appreciably better (at probably 75-80 pounds/night more)? Other recommendations?

Thanks.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Any bit of Edinburgh you're trying to be close to? Any bit you don't want to be far from?

There's the Malmaison Edinburgh for example, which is very nice, but down the road in Leith
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
Motel One,on Princess St....above the Apple store,very nice.^
Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Any bit of Edinburgh you're trying to be close to? Any bit you don't want to be far from?

There's the Malmaison Edinburgh for example, which is very nice, but down the road in Leith
Good question; I prefer being in the central tourist district rather than further afield. I stayed at what was once the Hudson Hotel (which seems re-branded or gone) and liked that location.

And, thanks, liamvad. Will have a look.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:28 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
Take a look at the G&V Royal Mile Hotel. A boutique property with 136 rooms. Ask about Room #507, which has a direct view of the castle. It was formerly the Missoni and has a fun sense of style, a great Italian restaurant and very hip bar. I love the design of the staff's tartans - makes me smile. It's hard to beat the location. Cosy room categories are really small, so book at least one category higher. It's worth the difference in cost.

Since you'll be there two or three nights, book the regular published rate through a U.S. Virtuoso agent and receive complimentary full breakfast, an Ł85 food and beverage credit and a room upgrade, if available on arrival.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
G&V, while nice, is part of the Carlson Rezidor Hotel chain (with the Club Carlson loyalty program), and the OP said they wanted to avoid international chains....
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:12 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
G&V, while nice, is part of the Carlson Rezidor Hotel chain (with the Club Carlson loyalty program), and the OP said they wanted to avoid international chains....
You're right. I just don't think of it as part of a "chain" since it's such a cool boutique hotel with super personalized service and unique special little touches.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:31 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I've never stayed at the Edinburgh Hotel du Vin (which is part of the small Malmaison chain) but I've never been disappointed by one of their properties - and it's in a decent location, up by the old RIE. Anyone here got any recent experience?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:00 am

We liked the Nira Caledonia which is in New Town about 10 mins to Princess St
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Missoni was cool - but more W cool than cute little boutique place.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Maybe the The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection? Autograph Collection is Marriott's boutique brand, but usually not much Marriott about them as none of the Autographs are alike/are often boutique hotels that have been acquired. Marriott pretty much lets Autographs do their own thing.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ph-collection/

Boutique Edinburgh hotel with a private 2-acre roof garden

"Experience an enchanting blend of tradition and modernity at The Glasshouse, Autograph CollectionŽ, a five-star hotel in Edinburgh. Beyond a stunning 160 year-old facade lies our unique, contemporary hotel, boasting 77 bedrooms- most of which occupy the top floor of the building. Depending on the location of your room, you'll enjoy breathtaking views of either the UNESCO World Heritage site of Calton Hill or the city of Edinburgh's New Town. Treat yourself to 5-star luxury in one of our 21 studio suites, each named after a single malt Scottish whisky. (Every suite receives a complimentary dram of the whisky their suite is named after with our Snug lounge.) The gorgeous and light-filled Observatory, with its floor to ceiling windows, serves a la carte or continental breakfast, or a relaxing evening meal, using only the very best locally sourced produce. "

Says it's a 2 minute walk to most city center attractions. Website has pics of the roof garden & views. I think some of the rooms or suites have private terraces?

Cheers.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by stut
I've never stayed at the Edinburgh Hotel du Vin (which is part of the small Malmaison chain) but I've never been disappointed by one of their properties - and it's in a decent location, up by the old RIE. Anyone here got any recent experience?
Now I have stayed at this property and was a bit disappointed - felt it fell short compared to others in the group I have used. Malmaison down in Leith was way better IME.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Glasshouse looks a little far afield. G&V looks good even if no wood paneling, kilts, armor or tumblers were in evidence on the website.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Definitely recommend the Rutland hotel for you. One end of Queen St, views up to the Castle, and an amazing steak restaurant to boot.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

To close the loop on this . . . very happy with the Rutland. Thanks for the recommendation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.