Walking to Heathrow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walking to Heathrow?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by GodAtum
i'm confused .. ive walked from one of the hotels along Bath Road to T3 before.
There used to be a pedestrian/cycle tunnel open adjacent to the main tunnel, but it's closed for works at the moment.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Microwave
There used to be a pedestrian/cycle tunnel open adjacent to the main tunnel, but it's closed for works at the moment.
You mean the one-lane tunnel to the east of the main ones? You'd be mental to want to walk or cycle that. Many years ago I had a driver who had claustrophobia and refused to drive me any further than 50m in. Long story, but I had to get out and hail a black cab at the old Concorde roundabout (not an easy thing).
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:02 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by LondonElite
You mean the one-lane tunnel to the east of the main ones? You'd be mental to want to walk or cycle that. Many years ago I had a driver who had claustrophobia and refused to drive me any further than 50m in. Long story, but I had to get out and hail a black cab at the old Concorde roundabout (not an easy thing).
I've never dared cycle it (and I've cycled some pretty dodgy routes), although I believe the footpath was separated by a barrier.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by stut
I've never dared cycle it (and I've cycled some pretty dodgy routes), although I believe the footpath was separated by a barrier.
It is, and it's raised significantly above the street. But the exhaust and dirt whipped up in there. No thank you.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:31 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Meanwhile, in the Netherlands:

The road traffic goes on a lower level, on the other side of the windows (which also protect you from the fumes).
Old Nov 20, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Many years ago I had a driver who had claustrophobia and refused to drive me any further than 50m in. Long story, but I had to get out and hail a black cab at the old Concorde roundabout (not an easy thing).
How'd the driver turn around in the tunnel? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something?

Meanwhile, in the Netherlands:

The road traffic goes on a lower level, on the other side of the windows (which also protect you from the fumes).
Those northern Europeans - always so dam practical. This would never happen in England - not without a 36-year consultation, celebrity protest and relocation of a newt colony or two. And let's not even started on the colonies of bats. And not the kind with wings.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: MUCCI
I want to say Impossible - nless we are talking many, many decades ago. (It's had gates and signs for as long as I can remember.)
Or unless there were some works going on and nobody stopped you?

Last edited by David-A; Nov 20, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
I've cycled the small tunnels many times. You just need to make sure that you cycle in the middle of to ensure no cars overtake you.

I wouldn't cycle the larger two lane tunnels though and do believe cycles are not permitted then.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The question I want to ask is

Why would you want to?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:14 pm

I was flying to Toronto on a cycling trip. See my sig

When I was a younger I cycled there to watch the planes at the queens building. I lived a short distance away in Langley.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by visualAd
I was flying to Toronto on a cycling trip. See my sig

When I was a younger I cycled there to watch the planes at the queens building. I lived a short distance away in Langley.
Apologies, it was actually Finland. The Toronto trip was from T5.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 5:36 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The question I want to ask is

Why would you want to?
I quite like walking, and I quite like Heathrow. I also like approaching places in an unconventional manner. The idea of walking around Heathrow is nice.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I think the tunnel used to be open. It's been closed to pedestrians (very clear signage) for all of the time I've used LHR in tbe past 6 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.