From January 2016 - Oyster and contactless to Gatwick

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

From January 2016 - Oyster and contactless to Gatwick

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2015, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
Only if you want to start from 1 of 3 locations where easyBus picks up. Otherwise you need another train journey anyway
You only use the Easybus site to book the tickets on National Express. You don't actually travel with Easybus - you travel with NE! I did travel on an Easybus once from Gatwick to Earl's Court in one of their minibuses, and it wasn't pleasant - too warm and people crammed on every seat.

When I found that you could book National Express tickets on the Easybus website for a fraction of the price you would pay on the NE site, I jumped at the chance. Less than half empty coaches and plenty of room. £1.95 vs £8 on exactly the same coach? I know which I'd choose.

All the tickets listed on the Easybus site for travel between Gatwick and Victoria coach station are for National Express coaches.

I suspect many people are still unaware of this option.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: A3*G
Implemented 11 Jan?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-35219633

The changes also include it becoming possible to use an Oyster or contactless card for journeys between London and Gatwick Airport on Southern, Gatwick Express and Thameslink services from 11 January.
A brief mention in the last paragraph of the article. There does not seem to be any mention anywhere else.

Will be touching down at LGW on 11 Jan, would be good to have that, though I think that paper tickets might be viable for me too with my 16-25 rail card...
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:29 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You can get your 16-25 railcard loaded on to your Oyster card, if that helps.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; ITA Platinum; HH Gold
Went live today with announcements made that oyster cards are now valid between Gatwick and Central London
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: A3*G
Took the Thameslink service from Gatwick to Farringdon yesterday using my Oyster with 16-25 railcard. The journey costed me £5.30, cheaper than the £6.75 Anytime Day Single I paid for my Farringdon-Gatwick trip earlier....
Old Jan 15, 2016, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by jiaklormee
Took the Thameslink service from Gatwick to Farringdon yesterday using my Oyster with 16-25 railcard. The journey costed me £5.30, cheaper than the £6.75 Anytime Day Single I paid for my Farringdon-Gatwick trip earlier....
This may sound a silly question, but is there anyway of using a card to get a cheaper ticket to Gatwick/Central London by getting off at an intermediate stop, swiping out, then swiping in and completing the rest of the journey?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 12:50 am

Cheaper journeys by splitting? Yes – but it involves more faff than most people are prepared to put up with.

Example 1. Journey to London Bridge in off peak.
Normal fare with Oyster / Contactless. £8
Split journey. Travel Gatwick to East Croydon. £3. Then East Croydon to London Bridge. £3.20.
Total with split £6.20 rather than £8.

Example 2. Journey to Canary Wharf in off peak.
Normal fare with Oyster / Contactless. £10.20
Split journey. Travel Gatwick to East Croydon. £3.
Then East Croydon to Canary Wharf via New Cross Gate and Canada Water, touching “pink validator” at Canada Water. £1.50.
Total with split £4.50 rather than £10.20

My gut feel is this is a lot more faff than most people are prepared to deal with, especially as East Croydon station can be unpleasantly crowded for much of the day.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
Cheaper journeys by splitting? Yes – but it involves more faff than most people are prepared to put up with.

Example 1. Journey to London Bridge in off peak.
Normal fare with Oyster / Contactless. £8
Split journey. Travel Gatwick to East Croydon. £3. Then East Croydon to London Bridge. £3.20.
Total with split £6.20 rather than £8.

Example 2. Journey to Canary Wharf in off peak.
Normal fare with Oyster / Contactless. £10.20
Split journey. Travel Gatwick to East Croydon. £3.
Then East Croydon to Canary Wharf via New Cross Gate and Canada Water, touching “pink validator” at Canada Water. £1.50.
Total with split £4.50 rather than £10.20

My gut feel is this is a lot more faff than most people are prepared to deal with, especially as East Croydon station can be unpleasantly crowded for much of the day.
Good to know - thank you. What's the pink validator?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 3:08 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by goldencondor
Good to know - thank you. What's the pink validator?
Something to prove you went a specific (cheaper) way, details on the TLF website
Old Jan 16, 2016, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Something to prove you went a specific (cheaper) way, details on the TLF website
Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2016, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
I believe it is £2.50 from Est Croydon rather than £1.50. £1.50 would be from West Croydon using the overground.

If you really were after every penny, it is roughly a 10 mins walk from East to West Croydon. Then again, if you really were looking for the cheapest way from Gatwick. you would probably consider Easybus, which could be as low as £2.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by NickB
I believe it is £2.50 from Est Croydon rather than £1.50. £1.50 would be from West Croydon using the overground.

If you really were after every penny, it is roughly a 10 mins walk from East to West Croydon. Then again, if you really were looking for the cheapest way from Gatwick. you would probably consider Easybus, which could be as low as £2.
Thanks. I'm already familiar with Easybus's £2 tickets for use on National Express
Old Jan 16, 2016, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There must be freedom card holders who want to travel before 9.30 so how do they do it? Have a separate oyster or can they load pay-go on to their freedom pass - which is basically just an oyster card?
Yes it can be loaded with cash and will work as a PAYG card when the freedom pass isn't valid

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.