Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

UK's Registered Traveller Program Email: Scam or Real?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hi,

Just got an email from the US State Dept. Wondering if this is legit?

You are receiving this message because you have been identified by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) as a U.S. citizen enrolled in the Global Entry program. CBP would like to inform you that the United Kingdom now operates an expedited entry program called Registered Traveller. Registered Traveller is a new service launched by the UK Border Force to give faster and more convenient entry to the UK for nationals from the United States. You are eligible to apply for membership in the UK Registered Traveller service. Membership in Registered Traveller costs £70. Complete details of Registered Traveller eligibility and availability can be found online at http://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller.

Membership in Registered Traveller include the following benefits:
· Access to ePassport gates at airports across the country
· Use of the UK / European Union queue at airports across the country
· A dedicated Registered Traveller lane at Gatwick Airport
· Not needing to complete a landing card on arrival to the UK
· No credibility interview with a Border Force officer.

Registered Traveller is already proving popular with members, who have provided praises such as, “This is an excellent service, it is efficient, extremely well run and very effective. I would highly recommend this service,” and “Well done Britain. Fast, secure, easy. Great service and timesaver, and remarkably easy to set up. Thanks to all the people who made this possible.”

You can apply for Registered Traveller online now at http://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller.

This is an automated email. Please do not reply.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It is 'legit'. Why would you think it is anything else? Have you followed the links?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
It is 'legit'. Why would you think it is anything else? Have you followed the links?
Because I got it from my SPAM, I'm a bit wary towards any emails from 'the government', and because it's always better safe than sorry!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:55 am

LondonElite - I received the same email. I wouldn't click on a link like that. No way. But those letters from Nigeria are really convincing. I've never gotten the payment from them as promised. What should I do? LOL
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:19 am
Suspended

Send me $500 and I'll look into it for you. The son of the governor of the Bank of Nigeria still owes me a few million as well.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This doesn't seem like the sort of scam that would appeal to most people, so I wonder whether they got a list of FFers or even GE members through a government database hack.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Is www.gov.uk a domain owned by the UK government similar to .gov domains for the US?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sant
Is www.gov.uk a domain owned by the UK government similar to .gov domains for the US?
Yes, it's totally 'legit'. I don't get all the doubting on this thread. It's the main, general government information website. Just click on it, it won't bite!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Yes, it's totally 'legit'. I don't get all the doubting on this thread. It's the main, general government information website. Just click on it, it won't bite!
While the email may be totally legit, I would encourage everyone to actually verify that the link displayed is the link to which you will be directed. Often links in SPAM or phishing email messages are "camouflaged" with authentic URLs, but the underlying link may take you to a bad place. Here's an example:

http://goodlink.com

Hover your mouse pointer over the link for a few moments and verify that the link displayed (usually in the lower left corner of your browser) is the same. You'll notice that in my example, it's not.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Yes, of course I assume that most people do that. I get emails every day (most end up in spam filter) from banks where I don't have an account.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Amex
Its real, I would sign up if I had two or more trips this year to the UK.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is the fee of 70 pounds for just one year? Also, would this be significantly better than the Fast Track one gets from top tier elite status or having a confirmed ticket in a premium cabin?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is the fee of 70 pounds for just one year? Also, would this be significantly better than the Fast Track one gets from top tier elite status or having a confirmed ticket in a premium cabin?
These are my questions as well.

In other news, I'm glad I'm not the ONLY wary one on this thread (I simply won't click links from emails unless I'm 100% sure what they are. Period)
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Seriously guys, this is the UK equivalent of Global Entry. Once registered you use the e-Passport gates which peans that, even at peak times at most terminals (thankfully now including LHR T5 where they have just introduced another bank of 15 of these) you can be through immigration in a matter of minutes. Just hold the photo page on the reader while the machine compares the data on it with your image and you're through.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:18 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the UK Forum
Thanks,
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.