Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best affordable transfer to Russell square area from LHR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Best affordable transfer to Russell square area from LHR

I'm hoping for some guidance here from those of you in London. We will be arriving at LHR on August 26 around noon. My original plan was to take the Picadilly line to Russell square tube station and then take the short walk to the hotel. As of now, it appears that the job action by the tube staff will likely interrupt this plan. Is my best affordable alternative to take the Heathrow Express/Connect and then take the tube to Russell Square if possible? If the tube is completely shut down what is your best guess on the cost of a taxi to my hotel from Paddington station? TIA.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:49 am

As you say "we" and the Tube isn't available I would say "car service".

Someone like justairports or blackberry cars though there are numerous recommendations in this forum
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:51 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
If it does go ahead (there are still talks) then yes, get yourself to Paddington. The 205 bus service from Paddington to Whitechapel travels along the Euston Road, close to Russell Square, and has been heavily reinforced during recent strikes. Naturally, the train and buses will be much busier than usual.

Hard to guess taxi prices, as it depends on congestion.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
HEX to Paddington and a Black Cab. Black Cabs can use the bus lanes which will speed things up. Order your cab in advance using a service like Halo or Comcab though as you will have a long wait during a tube strike. Don't expect a fast journey, central London is often very congested during a tube strike.

If you are able to get on, my second option would be the 205 bus or the no 98 to Russell Square from Edgware road (short walk from Paddington).

Depending on how much and how robust your luggage is, if you are able, you may want to consider walking. The distance is 2.5 miles if you take George Street (which avoids Oxford street); I did the walk to Goodge Street which is nearby a couple of times and it took just over an hour.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
If it is just you then HEX to Paddington and taxi or bus after that. If it is two or more of you then I would suggest a car service.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alanR
As you say "we" and the Tube isn't available I would say "car service".

Someone like justairports or blackberry cars though there are numerous recommendations in this forum
Thanks for the recommendations. I had googled car services prior to this but was quoted 3 times or more what blackberry cars and justairports quoted me. Given the predicted weather of rain and wind, I think one of these services is definitely the way to go if there is a tube strike. I believe the union will let the public know on Monday.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you who made recommendations. Just one more reason to love FT!

Now, can someone help me out with the weather forecast?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
If it is just you then HEX to Paddington and taxi or bus after that. If it is two or more of you then I would suggest a car service.
As the OP highlighted affordable I'd recommend the Cinderella HEX service - Heathrow Connect.
Same line,slightly slower train,every 30 minutes instead of 15 minutes and a third of the price.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Clint Bint
As the OP highlighted affordable I'd recommend the Cinderella HEX service - Heathrow Connect.
Same line,slightly slower train,every 30 minutes instead of 15 minutes and a third of the price.

^^

For some reason the HEX has a hold over many FT members (just like the GEX) when the connect and southern services respectively cover the same routes for not much more time but a lot less money.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Just a datapoint in the event someone else finds themselves in the same situation:

1) Heathrow Connect - £10.10 each (plus cost of bus, taxi if not walking)
2) Heathrow Express - £37 for two using Mastercard promo (plus cost of bus, taxi ...)
3) Car service - £ 42 for two from LHR to my Bloomsbury area hotel.

Of course, YMMV.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:37 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Of course, a car service on a strike day may be extremely slow, and much harder to book than normal...
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by stut
Of course, a car service on a strike day may be extremely slow, and much harder to book than normal...
My worry as well... Black cabs may be expensive, but in a situation like this that extra money can pay off in convenience / time saved.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having seen how clogged the Euston/Marylebone Road gets on strike days I would strongly recommend a black cab or bus so you can access the bus lane.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Having seen how clogged the Euston/Marylebone Road gets on strike days I would strongly recommend a black cab or bus so you can access the bus lane.
Even then I'd expect slow progress. A black cab might well take a route to the south of Marylebone/Euston Rd through Marylebone, Fitzrovia etc (e.g. via Wigmore Street).

Like stut says, there will be extra buses on route 205 (for what it's worth, some of the extra buses that get laid on don't have smartcard readers which means passengers travel for free - that'd make it marginally more affordable!).
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:57 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by prmetime
Thanks to all of you who made recommendations. Just one more reason to love FT!

Now, can someone help me out with the weather forecast?
Brolly and topcoat needed!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.