Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can a visitor give birth in the UK?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2015, 2:08 pm
Rea
Original Poster

I haven't paid a dime though. The NHS hasn't sent any invoices. I enquired about it twice and they said I'll get it in the mail.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: QFF Bronze, EK Skywards Blue
Wow, the birth seems cheap at £1800?
In Australia a birth at a private hospital is AUD$10k, not covered by insurance.
Births at public hospitals are free for citizens I think.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:06 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by adventuroustraveller
In Australia a birth at a private hospital is AUD$10k, not covered by insurance.
What about for non-citizens, so that we are comparing like for like?
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rea
I haven't paid a dime though. The NHS hasn't sent any invoices. I enquired about it twice and they said I'll get it in the mail.
The NHS is not arranged for charging patients. The bill will come through eventually but it isn't going to be done at the speed you would find from a commercial organization.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 2:25 am

Programs: QFF Bronze, EK Skywards Blue
I don't know the cost for non-citizens, sorry.

I just googled it without success.

It seems though that the cost of a v*****l birth utilising a private obstetrician at a public hospital is AUD$2-6K.

And a fully private birth (checkups + birth (caesar?) + aftercare) is AUD$20-22k.

Come to think of it, my friend who paid AUD$10k for her birth alone had an (elective?) caesar.

A v*****l birth or emergency caesar may be cheaper?

edit:
Found some fees, not sure if they're the same everywhere?
Medicare is the Aussie version of NHS. Americans call it....ah wait,....no such thing in the USA is there?

https://www.thewomens.org.au/patient..._medicare_card
Old Nov 6, 2015, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know the cost for non-citizens, sorry.

I just googled it without success.

It seems though that the cost of a v*****l birth utilising a private obstetrician at a public hospital is AUD$2-6K.

And a fully private birth (checkups + birth (caesar?) + aftercare) is AUD$20-22k.

Come to think of it, my friend who paid AUD$10k for her birth alone had an (elective?) caesar.

A v*****l birth or emergency caesar may be cheaper?

edit:
Found some fees, not sure if they're the same everywhere?
Medicare is the Aussie version of NHS. Americans call it....ah wait,....no such thing in the USA is there?

https://www.thewomens.org.au/patient..._medicare_card
The profanity filter has gone a bit overboard here. This is a serious medical topic, it doesn't need to be demeaned by the suggestion that the vagina is a naughty word

Edit: apparently it isn't, good to know ...

Americans also have Medicare. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_(United_States)
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Calchas
The profanity filter has gone a bit overboard here. This is a serious medical topic, it doesn't need to be demeaned by the suggestion that the vagina is a naughty word

Edit: apparently it isn't, good to know ...

Americans also have Medicare. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_(United_States)
American Medicare is not similar to the NHS though. It's more like the Canadian single-payer health insurance system, except that it only applies to the elderly.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
That seems a little harsh to me. Wouldn't it be fairer to collect billing details from them, give them a bill when they're leaving, and only contact embassies etc if they haven't paid after some time? Writing straight to an embassy before you've even offered them a chance to pay doesn't seem very fair to me...
Sorry, all patients were advised before this happened, and this would only happen if they checked out without making arrangements to pay!
Old Nov 7, 2015, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cris L
Sorry, all patients were advised before this happened, and this would only happen if they checked out without making arrangements to pay!
Too right ^
Old Nov 8, 2015, 4:25 pm
Rea
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calchas
The NHS is not arranged for charging patients. The bill will come through eventually but it isn't going to be done at the speed you would find from a commercial organization.
Got the first bill after 2 months for 445.
Next should be 95x3=285
Actually they seem well setup for charging patients, there's a whole department for it. You can pay by phone using credit or debit cards, pay by post using cheques, pay by BACS or pay online via the hospital's website I figured the invoicing process is slow because the payments department has to contact the nurses & doctors to know how to bill patients, then it has to be sent off somewhere, (omaha) I'm sure I heard wrong lol, then the a proper invoice comes back & they mail it out. The service is really good, no waiting around when you arrive. They're professional & friendly.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 6:37 pm
Rea
Original Poster

It's reasonably priced, but if I need a c-section, or ICU for myself or the little ones or have to stay in the hospital they will charge for accomdation, meds etc. We could run into 5,000-15,000. It's a bit sad though, that the prices get exorbitant when you're in your darkest hour
Old Nov 9, 2015, 4:29 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Rea
It's reasonably priced, but if I need a c-section, or ICU for myself or the little ones or have to stay in the hospital they will charge for accomdation, meds etc. We could run into 5,000-15,000. It's a bit sad though, that the prices get exorbitant when you're in your darkest hour
Perhaps your darkest hour would simply correspond with the point at which medical intervention would need to be the most complicated and costliest. I'm sure they're not trying to screw anyone over.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajax
Perhaps your darkest hour would simply correspond with the point at which medical intervention would need to be the most complicated and costliest. I'm sure they're not trying to screw anyone over.
Yeah I don't think there's any revenue management or profit maximization going on here. My understanding is that the prices are at-cost.

I agree that it is unfortunate that the heaviest cost falls on you when you are least equipped to deal with it, which is why I am glad my forebears invented a better system back in 1948
Old Nov 10, 2015, 2:59 pm
Rea
Original Poster

Well the NHS costs are much better than the private hospitals. I enquired about doing an ultrasound with a private hospital and it came up to 800 gbp. Apparently it's 200 for the doctor's consultation then 300 per baby! So it's 1 ultrasound but they charge per baby.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
My niece went private for her birth instead of the NHS. She was charged over £10K for 2 days stay at the Portman Hospital in London.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.