Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8 hour LHR layover with kids

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2015, 11:05 am
Original Poster

We are scheduled to have 8 hours at LHR (assuming all on time and no time changes) between our BA flights, and will be with our kids.

Any suggested kid friendly activities nearby?
Old May 25, 2015, 11:05 am

How old are they?
Old May 25, 2015, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Legoland Windsor.
Old May 25, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Presuming this is daytime? How old are the kids?

Enough time to take the tube central and see some sights. Legoland, Thorpe Park and Chessington are in the area, thought dont know how good public transport to them is.

There is a petting zoo near The Green Man. Visit the famous pound shops of Hounslow and top it all off with a cheeky Nandos
Old May 25, 2015, 12:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
What age are the kids? Would a quick trip into London be feasible? Something like National History Museum. Asuch as Legamd may be possible given transport times and being back at the airport may not be too easy.

Could do a visit to each terminal using underground and a trip through the secret passageways.
Old May 25, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.

I would recommend London , easier to get to than Windsor just jump on tube or Heathrow express.

Visit some sights or museums.
Old May 25, 2015, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
I would highly recommend going into London…

Massively cheaper than doing Lego Land.

Even with 4 adult travel cards (if your children are over 11) will work out a lot cheaper, and if you jump on the Piccadilly line straight from T5 into central London, you can see most of the big sights in a few hours and have a nice lunch/early dinner somewhere before heading back to the airport for your next flight. Buckingham Palace, Big Ben and The Palace of Westminster, Tower Bridge, The Tower of London and a whole host of other things… You never know, if the children have not been to London, it might be that they never get the opportunity to come back! Make the most of it…
Old May 25, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by sea_flyer_17
We are scheduled to have 8 hours at LHR (assuming all on time and no time changes) between our BA flights, and will be with our kids.

Any suggested kid friendly activities nearby?
Is this really 8 hours? Have you included time to clear immigration and then security and meet conformance on the outbound flight?

What time of day are we talking about? How old are the 'kids'? What do you as a famiy want to do?

Yet another post asking for advice that does not include important information.
Old May 25, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: BAEC / Hilton Honors / Accor
Another vote for a trip into London from me. You'll be surprised how quickly a 8hr layover will soon disappear once you take into account leaving the aircraft and exiting the airport and then leaving enough time to arrive back at heathrow for your next flight. Despite all that the science and natural history museums are a stones throw away from south kensington tube station and are easily doable.
Old May 25, 2015, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Oh and have a look at the UK & Ireland destination board where where are dozens of identical threads
Old May 25, 2015, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, thought I had put that in. Kids 6 and 8, will be 8 hour layover (so obviously less time with immigration/security), but enough time where kids will go crazy if we camped at airport all day.

I will check out the UK/Ireland group - I actually didn't realize their were destination groups.

Thanks all!
Old May 25, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by sea_flyer_17
Sorry, thought I had put that in. Kids 6 and 8, will be 8 hour layover (so obviously less time with immigration/security), but enough time where kids will go crazy if we camped at airport all day.

I will check out the UK/Ireland group - I actually didn't realize their were destination groups.

Thanks all!
This is simple, and if it was me ........

Into London on the Heathrow Express and get straight down to the London Eye. On the way back stop off at Paddington station and go to the Paddington Bear shop and have photos taken with the bear statue (platform 1).

That's four hours killed with minimial gripes from the kids, which should take care of all the spare time you have. The biggest problem you'll have is immigration and security, which are both a bind whether you're 6, 8 or 38!
Old May 25, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Assuming the 8h is morning to afternoon

It's not really 8h. When you land you have to get out of the plane, clear immigrations, collect luggage, toilet breaks. That's 1h

Then you want to be back to LHR 2h latest before departure, add time for travel between London and LHR, 1h in total. So you have 4h to spend in London.

Maybe after arriving to Paddington with Heathrow Express take the tube to Piccadilly, do some shopping, sightseeing and finish with a lunch at Rainforest Cafe. I know it's tacky but children seem to like it. http://www.therainforestcafe.co.uk/

Then head back to LHR
Old May 25, 2015, 8:42 pm

You've probably got 5-6 hours realistically (1h through immigration/faffing around, get back 2h before departure). Considering it will take you close to an hour to get from LHR to central London and back again I'm not sure I'd bother, unless you really want to just tick off the main sites in central. 6 and 8 year old children may not take kindly to being hurried around central London streets after a long flight

Personally i would stay in West London. There is a fairly kid friendly climbing wall by the Westway, or you could visit Westfield if you want to just keep them entertained and fed. Hampton Court Palace is also nice but I'm not sure how interesting it is for children.
Old May 25, 2015, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At what time are you scheduled to arrive and from where? What timezone will your kids be? Will they be tired or well-slept? What are their interests? When will you be there (i.e. what climate)? And so on.

You're a parent. You have the responsibility of thinking these things through. You can't just put a two line post on a chat board and hope for the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.