What happened to the Weather Bomb?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard

probably paging BotB.

Going to bed last night, the last news on the app were "prepare for the world to end as the "weather bomb" hits the UK". I had noticed however that neither BA nor BAA seem to have proactively cancelled any flights as they have done in the past.

Grateful to wake up alive this morning (didnt hear any rain or storm), upon checking all the news apps, not a single mention of this "weather bomb" that was due to cause havoc.

Did I miss it? Was it a non-event? Why the "build up"?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
It was clearly a dud.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Its blowing up here in scotland, worse over night though.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
It only affected BA190
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Potential for some disruption on Friday morning in the SE
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Ever since the hurricane incident the meteorologists in the UK have played it safe with more emphasis being put on the worst scenario happening. I've noticed the same here since the killer floods in La Plata a couple of years ago when the forecasters came in for some stick from Government officials - unfairly as it was more down to inefficiencies in the areas flood defences than anything else.
Since then every storm forecast to hit here seems to get blown out of all proportion leaving everyone in a state of panic....me included. I can't say I blame them if they end up being the fall guys.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:43 am

One of our black bin bags full of polystyrene disappeared. Apart from that it was the usual outcome of a "don't leave the house, essential travel only, wrap up warm, man the barricades, UK extreme weather warning". i.e. Nothing.

Hopefully there aren't two leaves on the track otherwise the Fenchurch Street line into London will be closed for the next three days while they work out how to remove them.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It's weather. It's natural. It changes.

The media took a specific meteorological term (pressure drop of 24 mb in 24 hours) and started the 'all going to die' headlines.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
It's still having some impact - sitting on ground in DUB 43 mins after scheduled departure, doors closed 20+ mins ago. High winds at LHR causing some issues (1410 slot awaits)

Eta

And as I hit post, we've pushed back!

Last edited by lorcancoyle; Dec 11, 2014 at 6:59 am Reason: Events, dear boy, events
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
OT: What happened to the Weather Bomb?

It was a Daily Mail panic and therefore had no discernible connection with reality.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Apparently there is 8cm of snow on my farm, the first snow in 18 months. So just a dusting.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:03 am
Suspended

Since then every storm forecast to hit here seems to get blown out of all proportion leaving everyone in a state of panic....me included. I can't say I blame them if they end up being the fall guys.
It's more due to the journalists at certain media outlets (usually those stocked by BA ) hyping everything up to gain more publicity for their rag.
Not sure you'll find many professional meteorologists who expected this weather to be much worse than it actually is.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Well, seeing as it wasn't slightly oversized hair gel or a stray computer cable, it certainly wasn't the work of HAL security theater puppet muppets.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought it was Friday morning that was going to affect LHR and the South.

I am expecting possibly some flights to be cancelled in the morning.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
It was due to cause main disruption in the North West and West coast of Scotland. It was certainly very windy in Scotland yesterday with areas of very heavy rain.

On the weather forecast on Sunday they said there were two forecasts, one would see the storm hit and one would see it die out and/or miss us! Hedging their bets I think and in general no certainty what so ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.