Search

Ebola screening at LHR UK Border: starts Tuesday

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ebola screening at LHR UK Border: starts Tuesday

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29604184

Passengers from at-risk countries will have their temperature taken, complete a risk questionnaire and have contact details recorded.

Mr Hunt said screening at Gatwick and Eurostar terminals would start in the coming week.
This begins at T1 tomorrow, and will be extended to other terminals shortly.

UK Border Force officers will identify passengers to be screened. So expect additional questions about your activities and probably therefore delays.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Begins at T1? Guess they're bored and needed something to do.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I would rather they screen them at the point of departure. In fact, they can just close the borders until they find a cure.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I would rather they screen them at the point of departure. In fact, they can just close the borders until they find a cure.
I am with you on this one.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Exit screenings are already in effect in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea. I am not sure it is economically or politically feasible to close those borders, particularly the land ones. Unfortunately, diseases do not know borders.

There is a drug called "ZMapp" that appears effective in treating early stage patients, with several but not all patients being completely cured apparently by it. This was the drug used successfully to treat the two US citizens and the UK nurse who were infected much earlier in the year.

However, manufacturing ZMapp is a time consuming process. I believe that the next batch will be ready in December.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Read a bit too much of the Daily Mail lately?

There was a good post debunking all this Ebola panic nonsense on PPRuNe recently but the whole thread seems to have been deleted. Maybe it was too level headed
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Unless it was your family stuck there, I suppose?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by HighLife
Unless it was your family stuck there, I suppose?
No, I would first make sure they had ebola, upgrade them on a 2-4-1 voucher and bring them back. Jeez.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: SK,BA,QF,AA, HH, IGH
Originally Posted by Calchas
Exit screenings are already in effect in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea. I am not sure it is economically or politically feasible to close those borders, particularly the land ones. Unfortunately, diseases do not know borders.

There is a drug called "ZMapp" that appears effective in treating early stage patients, with several but not all patients being completely cured apparently by it. This was the drug used successfully to treat the two US citizens and the UK nurse who were infected much earlier in the year.

However, manufacturing ZMapp is a time consuming process. I believe that the next batch will be ready in December.
With such a limited test group (there were only a few does of the various drugs available as they are all still in preclinical stages of development) it's hard to say for sure if the drug had anything to do with the recovery of those being treated.

My understanding is that the mortality rate isn't as high as some previous outbreaks (figures I've seen put it at around 50-60% but ofc those are official figures and the real toll could be much higher), however with so many more infected the death toll is higher than previous outbreaks, even if the mortality rate is indeed lower. When you also add in the fact that most (if not all) of those receiving the drugs are also being treated in world class facilities outside of west africa, it's entirely possible that they would have recovered even without the drugs.

Also wasn't that the guy in Texas that died being treated with ZMapp plus I'm sure I read somewhere that one of the other patients who died outside of West Africa (in europe maybe) was also being treated with another of the drugs under devlopment.

All that being said, the development of such drugs can only be a good thing, even if it's likely such research will be completed too late for the majority affected by the current outbreak.

I read an article stating that the WHO believes that in order for this outbreak to be checked, at least 70% of those infected are being treated and quarantined in treatment centres however, currently only around 20% of those infected are in such facilities, with many more being turned away due to lack of beds...a situation that won't improve without assistance from outside the region.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bugsy
With such a limited test group (there were only a few does of the various drugs available as they are all still in preclinical stages of development) it's hard to say for sure if the drug had anything to do with the recovery of those being treated.
I agree, just bringing to light the fact that a cure is under active development.

Originally Posted by bugsy
I read an article stating that the WHO believes that in order for this outbreak to be checked, at least 70% of those infected are being treated and quarantined in treatment centres however, currently only around 20% of those infected are in such facilities, with many more being turned away due to lack of beds...a situation that won't improve without assistance from outside the region.
Nature's editorial this week (subscription required) also states that isolation of the affected countries will not suppress the outbreak and as resources grow thin that policy would likely become very counterproductive.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Simon Calder on the phone to LBC said that the only flights of interest were those connecting on the same airline with flights from the affected areas. At T1 this morning, that meant a single flight: Brussels Airlines from, er, Brussels.

However, having sussed that out, journalists were prevented by 'security' (HAL?) from pursuing this and reporting.

Good to have a 'free' press.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: ABBA
It's a political stunt, to appease the rabid readers of certain papers, nothing more nothing less.

Apparently eurostar will also have screening.

So aside from the waste of money, the question is, how much time will it add to the immigration process when it's in full swing?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Originally Posted by paulwuk

So aside from the waste of money, the question is, how much time will it add to the immigration process when it's in full swing?
In theory none, at least if they did it whilst people were standing in line waiting.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
From an FT perspective, are they going to be implementing this across the board? I have a trip to the UK soon and I'm hoping it doesn't inconvenience me too much. Flying from MAD, but I don't have an EU passport.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
From an FT perspective, are they going to be implementing this across the board? I have a trip to the UK soon and I'm hoping it doesn't inconvenience me too much. Flying from MAD, but I don't have an EU passport.
Yes, at major airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.