Reload this Page >

waiting for later travelers at LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

waiting for later travelers at LHR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:54 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I'm not sure even the OP knows what airline they are using.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...te-emails.html

It would be good if the OP could come back and let us know the details of the actual flights involved (his and his adult children) etc so we can give him some specific advice.
Good catch. I missed that one.

Good thing that the OP has six months to sort out these matters.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by TWA884
Actually, the OP is arriving on British Airways.
Yikes, well, I stand corrected on that bit. T5 sted T3... apologies. It looks as if the OP purchased a BA-operated AA codeshare PHX-LHR while thinking it was a US flight. Difficult to make out exactly what's up. I think most of what I wrote still stands though.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:34 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by BearX220
Yikes, well, I stand corrected on that bit. T5 sted T3... apologies. It looks as if the OP purchased a BA-operated AA codeshare PHX-LHR while thinking it was a US flight. Difficult to make out exactly what's up. I think most of what I wrote still stands though.
In retrospect, having reread this thread and the problem with usairways flight to lhr, need corporate emails thread, it would appear that the OP's sons are arriving on the BA nonstop from PHX at 12:45 pm. The OP is now set to arrive at 7:05 am; that' definitely not the BA operated PHX-LHR flight.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

i wish i would have checked with you guys first, thanks for all the helpful info. i paid the change fee and moved my phx departure tickets to usairways, phx-clt and clt-lhr usairways. using usairways, i am able to upgrade with money and miles. i am keeping the BA return, flt 7037 = BA289. spoke to one of the twins, he was a little slow with a commitment, meaning he has not saved up any money :-( if they help, they can go, if not, I'll just send them to vegas for their birthday in february and mom and i will enjoy london and newcastle. i know that i am going to have a blast, can't wait..
Old Aug 12, 2014, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by kdobbins
i wish i would have checked with you guys first, thanks for all the helpful info. i paid the change fee and moved my phx departure tickets to usairways, phx-clt and clt-lhr usairways. using usairways, i am able to upgrade with money and miles. i am keeping the BA return, flt 7037 = BA289. spoke to one of the twins, he was a little slow with a commitment, meaning he has not saved up any money :-( if they help, they can go, if not, I'll just send them to vegas for their birthday in february and mom and i will enjoy london and newcastle. i know that i am going to have a blast, can't wait..
OK, well, it sounds as if the original concern that sparked this thread (meeting kids traveling separately to LHR) may be moot. Thanks for checking back.

There are two CLT-LHR nonstops operated by US Airways, and it looks as if you're on the earlier departure, the 715pm, which is lucky because if your PHX-CLT runs late and you miss it you can easily be rebooked on the 950pm flight.

If things go according to plan you'll land LHR at 705am and probably be through the airport by 800am. If you have a London hotel, notify them in advance that you'd like early check-in, around 900am-1000am. They are quite used to transatlantic arrivals doing this.

Whatever you do don't succumb to the urge to have a nap on Day One. Stay up until at least 900pm at all costs, and jet lag will recede painlessly.

Don't try to fly from London to Newcastle -- take the train. Now is a good time to dig into British rail timetables.

Post again if you need anything else.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

info has been great, suggestions on hotels by St. James Park (Newcastle versus ManU 03/04/15), i see some are booked already for game night. i want to take the train up early in the morning from London to check out the city and then enjoy the match. probably no same day tours of the facility on match day? i can always get there a little early to enjoy the stadium and the great fans..
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kdobbins
info has been great, suggestions on hotels by St. James Park (Newcastle versus ManU 03/04/15), i see some are booked already for game night. i want to take the train up early in the morning from London to check out the city and then enjoy the match. probably no same day tours of the facility on match day? i can always get there a little early to enjoy the stadium and the great fans..
Can't help you on Newcastle hotels but be sure to make a train booking in advance to get the discount rate and allow enough time if you're traveling from London on game day -- it's a ride of up to 3.5 hours depending on stops.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:50 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by BearX220
Can't help you on Newcastle hotels but be sure to make a train booking in advance to get the discount rate and allow enough time if you're traveling from London on game day -- it's a ride of up to 3.5 hours depending on stops.
A reservation will also guarantee you a seat which is a good thing - the trains can be very busy. You also need to have your match tickets sorted out in advance.

No idea on hotels i'm afraid, but from memory the area around the ground isn't that exciting and so you might be better off looking for something in the city center.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:37 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Newcastle is a very walkable city, and there's also a very good Metro system (with a station at St James) to get around.

Personally, I normally stay down at the Quayside, either at the Premier Inn or the Malmaisin if the price is right. You are right in the thick of it on a weekend night!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
If you are taking taxis in Newcastle, there is a local quirk in that the river divides the city into two council districts and taxis from one are not allowed to pick up passengers in the other without a prior booking. You can only flag a Newcastle taxi North of the river and a Gateshead taxi south of the river.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:17 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Not that a tourist would necessarily know it, but once you cross the Tyne, you leave Newcastle. It's not just the council district, it's like crossing into New Jersey, Oakland or Brazzaville. Admittedly the newer attractions in Gateshead (the Sage, the Baltic, the Millennium Bridge) make it much less "thar be dragons" than it used to be (although there was always the Tuxedo Princess)...
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by stut
(although there was always the Tuxedo Princess)...
Oh god. I remember that. It was just awful. Went on a student night out

Still our intrepid poster can always avail himself of the 'delights' of the Bigg Market !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.