Search

Tour de France in the UK: London - 7th Jul 2014 [Traffic Disruption]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:20 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Tour de France in the UK: London - 7th Jul 2014 [Traffic Disruption]

The Tour de France will be in London on the 7th July!

This is great news for cycling fans (like myself - and the route passes near my office, which is even better). But anyone relying on the roads, especially in East and East Central London, should expect severe disruption.

Those wanting to watch it should get details here:

http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2014/us/stage-3.html

Those concerned about travel plans should look here:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/campaign/tour-...ion-and-advice

Apologies for the London-centricity - but I'm making the assumption this is the part most relevant to readers of this forum. For those considering viewing elsewhere, the route is:
  • 5th July: Leeds-Harrogate (via Skipton, the Dales and Ripon)
  • 6th July: York-Sheffield (via Keighley, Huddersfield and the Peaks)
  • 7th July: Cambridge-London (via Braintree, Chelmsford and Epping Forest)
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:46 am

Widespread disruption in London. Anyone using LCY note that this airport is virtually cut off from the road network, only accessible from the east side via the A13/A406 junction (a bottleneck on a good day)....
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:52 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Yes, if you're headed for LCY, it's a good day to take the DLR...
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
East London / Docklands is getting cut off too often with these bike races now. This one is on a work day, so traffic will be chaotic.

But there are other bike events coming up and again there will be disruption to the local area. There was the Triathlon earlier in the year and charity bike ride in August. I find it irritating to hear that tosser Boris bleating about showing off London to the world, when he made the decision to take East London out of the 2012 Olympic Marathon route.

At least the annual London Marathon is a fun event that is a spectacle for those watching (and trapped on the route!). I saw the Tour cyclists a few years ago and it's over in a few minutes!! What's the point!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.