Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

After Hours Left Luggage @ Dublin Airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

After Hours Left Luggage @ Dublin Airport?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Question After Hours Left Luggage @ Dublin Airport?

Hello all!

I'm hoping that someone will have an answer to this.

Tomorrow night (Friday), I have a flight to Dublin from Zurich. I arrive in Dublin at around 1030pm which seems to be too late to be able to use the left luggage facilities at the Dublin airport since they close at 11pm.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any other option for me to leave my luggage at for a few hours? If not at the airport then somewhere close to the bus stop/bus station stop is fine.

My plan is to store my luggage for a few hours so that I can leave the airport and go into the city to Temple Bar to grab some fish and chips before heading back to the airport at around 2-3am (3 tops) for my 8am flight back to Canada. Since the left luggage opens at 6am, I would be able to pick up my stuff easily enough, but I'd like a backup option in the event my luggage/customs takes a long time to clear and I don't make it in time.

Also I just want to confirm that it seems that the aircoach is the best option since they run 24hrs? I'll ask when i buy the ticket, which stop is closest to Temple Bar.

Thanks in advance!

PS- can anyone name a convenience store that might be open in the Temple Bar area where I could pick up a beer and some cheese? I'd like to bring back a beer as a gift.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I'm going to pitch in here given you're pushed for time, although hopefully a local will be along shortly....

As I understand it, Dublin's not much of a late night city - pub closing is tightly enforced then people move on to the clubs. Hanging around Temple Bar for a couple of hours with a bag of chips probably isn't going to be all that great.

I'd be looking for a cheap hotel to get a few hours sleep if I was you...
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
I'm going to pitch in here given you're pushed for time, although hopefully a local will be along shortly....

As I understand it, Dublin's not much of a late night city - pub closing is tightly enforced then people move on to the clubs. Hanging around Temple Bar for a couple of hours with a bag of chips probably isn't going to be all that great.

I'd be looking for a cheap hotel to get a few hours sleep if I was you...
Thanks!
I pretty much just want to get some fish and chips... lol
I remember one place I went to in Temple Bar and was planning on wandering the area for an hour or 2 besides that taking some photos. I've been to Temple Bar before so I'm not expecting to do any serious sight seeing by any means.

The reason I wasn't going to stay at a hotel is mainly to keep costs down but also because I can't justify spending full price for a room for what would be 6 hours tops.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: BD,Skyteam,QF
Get a taxi and ask the driver to take you to the nearest good chipper, or even mention Drumcondra, which has several and isn't too far. Off-licences (for the beer), if open, would be available there, and if not, the pubs would sell you a six-pack I'm sure.
If Left Luggage is closed, keep the luggage with you, and get the taxi driver to take you back to the airport afterwards, or maybe get him to take you to one of the airport hotels to relax in the lobby (slightly more comfortable than the airport), from where there is probably a courtesy bus back to the airport.

Temple Bar for a 2nd visit? are you sure? at that hour of night, especially a friday, the worst of the stag and hen parties will be spilling onto the street, heading for the clubs. Expect everything that that implies (I'm a local, and am being very polite )
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by measures
Get a taxi and ask the driver to take you to the nearest good chipper, or even mention Drumcondra, which has several and isn't too far. Off-licences (for the beer), if open, would be available there, and if not, the pubs would sell you a six-pack I'm sure.
If Left Luggage is closed, keep the luggage with you, and get the taxi driver to take you back to the airport afterwards, or maybe get him to take you to one of the airport hotels to relax in the lobby (slightly more comfortable than the airport), from where there is probably a courtesy bus back to the airport.

Temple Bar for a 2nd visit? are you sure? at that hour of night, especially a friday, the worst of the stag and hen parties will be spilling onto the street, heading for the clubs. Expect everything that that implies (I'm a local, and am being very polite )
I'm guessing a taxi is going to be fairly expensive though, right?
Well I guess I'll just have to try to make it to the left luggage then...

I suppose if worst comes to worst I just stay at the airport, but I suppose I could ask a taxi how much a cab to Drumcondra would be. I'm thinking it's not going to be cheap, but the odds are against me though...
I have 40mins to get through immigration, collect my luggage, change terminal and make it to the left luggage.

Thanks for the Drumcondra place though. It's good to have an extra option.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Are you flying on Aer Lingus? I seem to recall they allow you to check baggage the night before at DUB.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: BD,Skyteam,QF
Originally Posted by iceblueshoes
I'm guessing a taxi is going to be fairly expensive though, right?
If the 41 bus is running (probably would be) you could get to Drumcondra for a few Euro and save half the fare, if you have stored or checked in the bags.
Its a 'no change' bus, so organise coins first! And make sure you get the 41 going towards the city, not away from it.
If you happen to see a nice chipper before you get to Drumcondra, you could always just hop off, and afterwards, cross the road and get the bus back the other way.
Just watch for the times of the last buses. Being of an older generation, I no longer track those , but in the past, have found the variety of passengers on the 41 very entertaining. Good views from the top deck.

Oops! Just realised you've been and gone. How did you get on?
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Hello all!

I ended up taking the aircoach into Connelly Street in Dublin and then walked around for a few hours in Temple Bar and along the river.
As the pubs were starting to empty out and people were getting "messy" I decided to take off back to the airport.

I just barely made it to the left luggage at Dublin airport. Literally!

While I did fly Aer Lingus INTO Dublin, my flight back home to Canada was on westjet.
I could write a quick report on them... but honestly, I should spent the extra $50 on the Plus seats. The seats barely recline!

BA has spoiled me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.