Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to Waterford, Ireland

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2014, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: 2015 kettle

I'll be flying to Ireland, not sure yet if I'll be coming in from Chicago or Stockholm, but I'll be heading to Waterford. Anyone have any recent experience/advice on the easiest airport to get there from? Looks like no flight to Waterford on the day I'll be traveling, so I will have to fly into Shannon, Cork, or Dublin and take a bus/train to Waterford. Thanks for the advice!
Old May 17, 2014, 7:24 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The only flights direct to Waterford are from MAN and BHX, so you'd have to fly via either of those airports to go direct.

Having said that, it's pretty much equidistant from Cork and Dublin. There are direct buses from both airports, taking 3 hour or so.
Old May 17, 2014, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mickeydfly13
I'll be flying to Ireland, not sure yet if I'll be coming in from Chicago or Stockholm, but I'll be heading to Waterford. Anyone have any recent experience/advice on the easiest airport to get there from? Looks like no flight to Waterford on the day I'll be traveling, so I will have to fly into Shannon, Cork, or Dublin and take a bus/train to Waterford. Thanks for the advice!
Why wouldn't you rent a car and drive? Two hours or less from Dublin.
Old May 17, 2014, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Car rental is running $200 as it'd be a one way rental so I'm looking into the bus/train option. Plus, I'm likely to have a couple of cocktails on the plane so forget the driving option. Any experience with the bus from Shannon Airport to Waterford?
Old May 17, 2014, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Why wouldn't you rent a car and drive? Two hours or less from Dublin.
Isn't it much more sensible to let someone else do the driving after an overnight long-haul flight - especially when it's in an unfamiliar environment, and on the "wrong" side of the road?
Old May 17, 2014, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Isn't it much more sensible to let someone else do the driving after an overnight long-haul flight - especially when it's in an unfamiliar environment, and on the "wrong" side of the road?
Each to his/her own. OP didn't mention driving. I was merely suggesting it from a convenience perspective.
Old May 17, 2014, 10:49 am
Formerly known as ahoban

Programs: BA Silver, Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus
If you're lucky you might be able to time a slightly quicker bus from Dublin Airport, there are a few "express" type services that are 30ish minutes quicker. With services from Shannon, you'll need to transfer at Limerick as there is no direct services afaik.

If you're not up for being scrunched up on a bus for 3 hours you can grab the Airlink (747 bus) from Dublin Airport to Heuston Station and transfer onto an intercity service to Waterford (3 hour journey approx.). Train in my opinion is much more comfortable, plenty of legroom at the table seats, wifi & trolley service (handy if you're over 6ft).

747 is €6 & the train *should* cost €9.99 each way, plus charges if booked in advance online.

Last edited by TangoThree; May 17, 2014 at 10:58 am
Old May 17, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: BD,Skyteam,QF
If I had to do it, I'd fly to DUB, get on the 747 bus to Heuston station, from where there are direct trains to Waterford (Plunkett station). Check the front of the bus (double deck) to make sure it is going the whole way to Heuston station, as sometimes it stops in the city centre and you need to transfer to the Luas (light rail tram) for the last section).
If you download the Journey Planner app from Transport for Ireland (Android definitely, and probably IOS) you can get live timetables for the buses from your current location, and/or enter your start point and destination (Dublin Airport/Heuston Station) to see what options there are.
For taxis, the Hailo app is great (cr card without fee, definite pickup time, communication from the driver to confirm, you decide what tip %, on the app, no cash changes hands if you register a cr card, but you can pay cash, and the total fare is usually better than normal). Probably not ideal from the airport, with all the special conditions airports have.

Train frequency isn't the same as in other countries, so
a) check the timetable
b) book online if you think you will definitely catch the train you pick, to get a better rate.
http://www.irishrail.ie/

example timetable/fares:- (by the way, I don't know what the 'change' is, in the 2nd one, as its a direct line to Waterford).

From Dublin Heuston to Waterford (Plunkett) DateThursday, 22 May 2014
Dep Arr Dur. & Chg. Service Online Fares Select Info
07:25 09:40 2:15 0 €9.99
08:00 11:26 3:26 1 €15.99
10:15 12:20 2:05 0 €15.99
13:15 15:25 2:10 0 €15.99
15:10 17:15 2:05 0 €9.99
16:40 19:00 2:20 0 €15.99
17:35 19:46 2:11 0 €15.99
18:35 20:48 2:13 0 €15.99

Have a nice journey

Last edited by measures; May 17, 2014 at 4:16 pm Reason: clarification
Old May 17, 2014, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Great info, thank you very much for taking the time. Now, I can fly nonstop in J from Chicago to Shannon in August and bus/train from there to Waterford, or I can connect in LHR to Dub and bus/train from there. Final Thoughts?
Old May 18, 2014, 2:28 am
Suspended

Great info, thank you very much for taking the time. Now, I can fly nonstop in J from Chicago to Shannon in August and bus/train from there to Waterford, or I can connect in LHR to Dub and bus/train from there. Final Thoughts?
Shannon every time.
It's much,much quicker.
Old May 18, 2014, 10:06 am
Original Poster

But then I need to take the bus and/or train to Wateford. Still the right choice?
Old May 19, 2014, 12:47 am
Suspended

But then I need to take the bus and/or train to Wateford. Still the right choice?
Think about it.
While you're getting the bus and train to Waterford the plane still has to fly to LHR, you have to change to another flight to Dublin, you have to fly the journey which takes an hour THEN you have to get from Dublin to Waterford.
It's a no-brainier even if you don't have one.
Old May 19, 2014, 12:48 am
Suspended

Yes.
Old May 19, 2014, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Showbizguru
Think about it.
While you're getting the bus and train to Waterford the plane still has to fly to LHR, you have to change to another flight to Dublin, you have to fly the journey which takes an hour THEN you have to get from Dublin to Waterford.
It's a no-brainier even if you don't have one.
Ha--I suppose that's debatable. Thanks, SNN it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.