Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Can Priority Pass holders use LTN's "Priority Lane" security?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 5:43 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat

At STN, holders of Priority Pass cards can use fast track security. This is STN's equivalent of LHR and LGW allowing some OneWorld elite members to use fast track security.

My question is whether this same benefit for Priority Pass holders applies to LTN's "Priority Lane". The big difference between LTN's Priority Lane and fast track at other airports is that there is no separate security screening area; it simply allows passengers to jump to the front of the queue, thereby delaying those who have not paid the surcharge for the "Priority Lane". However, given that LTN sells access to the Aspire lounge on its web site, one would expect that paying lounge users would not be delayed from reaching the lounge.

I am asking this question because, according to reports, the security queues at LTN are unreasonably long, and it was even suggested in the past that the long queues were deliberate in order to encourage passengers to pay to jump to the front of the queue.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I have a better question. Why would you want to fly from LTN?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:18 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by stifle
I have a better question. Why would you want to fly from LTN?
Very good question! It's either Wizz from LTN or Ryanair from STN and the latter isn't a convenient flight time. These two are the only airlines flying this route. I am returning on Ryanair to STN because their return flight time is better.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:03 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
FWIW, I've never had a problem with the security at LTN - either departing on an ouch-o-clock flight, or at a rather more civilised mid-morning job. I suspect the horror stories come from peak holiday periods (which, as a leisure airport, is when most people travel).

IIRC, the premium security line is for pre-admission only - i.e. the boarding pass check and entrance into the scanning area. So it's only really useful if the queues stretch outside the security area (although, naturally, this is shielded from view).

Do make sure you have the correct size ziploc bag, as they're very keen to tell you it's wrong and sell you one.

The lounge is nothing special - personally, I'm as happy sitting at Starbucks or wherever with a coffee. The departures hall isn't bad - think suburban shopping centre.

Where I would pay a supplement is for priority boarding. The gates at LTN are in the old building, quite a walk from the new one, and there are no facilities (and barely any seats) at the gates. Despite most airlines now having allocated seating, early queuing is the norm. So, what happens is that the gates are only announced at the time where you would go and queue - the result is a crowd around the monitors by the passage down to the gate area, and an unseemly rush forward as soon as a gate is announced (although if you get a bite to eat and a coffee at the bagel place, you get a decent view of this).

With priority boarding, you can amble down at your leisure. Personally, this is where I spend the money to make it more civilised (well, that and pre-pay short-term parking).

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.