Search

Norwegian (DY) to launch LGW to JFK, FLL, LAX in July14

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2013, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by saintby
Back to topic, LAX seems an odd choice. Surely SFO would be more leisure orientated?
OAK will probably be coming eventually...they will fly there from both Oslo and Stockholm starting in May.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I'm guessing FLL is one of the two "odd choices" -
No it was the other two....purely because they are already well served and low fares out of peak season can already be had anyway.

Ryanair are nowhere near starting long-haul/tranatlantic flights - they don't have any suitable aircraft on order.
I seem to remember MOL saying that the price of fuel rocketing had put paid to any notion they might have had of starting long haul services.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
"Premium" needs to be seriously cheaper unless this is flat pricing or maybe for one-ways.

It's the same price as an ex-AMS business fare and noticeably more than most premium economy except at very high demand periods. I'm sure it's a good product but it's not different enough from premium economy to justify the pricing.

As for not needing a Saturday away - well that is true but this route doesn't fly every day so that makes a difference too.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
No it was the other two....purely because they are already well served and low fares out of peak season can already be had anyway.
Well...perhaps if LGW was their home base then they may have selected other destinations - but LAX and JFK are already destinations from their Oslo and Stockholm bases.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
But you don't need a Saturday night stay and that's a massive difference. What's BA WT+ if you don't want to be away for the weekend? £2500 or so?
True, but you could always get a car

Originally Posted by Roger
Let me know where you can buy today at those prices - CW to LAX return for £1,509, I think not. A dummy booking for the same dates came to £3,298 in CW. Even out of my mind, I can see that that is more than double. @:-)

Yes, but eastbound with DY is overnight. As for the one way redemption in F, try finding availability. I tried several dates over several months without success. And on the dates with availability, they were connections using flights with AA via BOS or AB via DUS, with interesting turboprop connections in Y to add to the BA F experience.
Ah, but I was talking about JFK not LAX - you quoted Raffles in your post who was referring to JFK so I thought you meant that

I fares LCY/LHR to JFK/EWR routinely go for ~£1,500 when sales are on, which is even more often than the general "all destinations" premium cabin sales.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Is it me or have they not included APD in the fares or are they somehow (probably not) exempt from applying it or have they included it in the base fare (unusual if they do)

I was looking at New York and the 'taxes' are described as 'taxes account for' £124.30 and described as 'airport surcharge' with a separate £50 for fuel and these are the same for both Economy and Premium.

Premium should be attracting the higher rate of APD (£135)
Old Oct 17, 2013, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by baggageinhall
Ryanair have been talking about it for a long time. O'Leary knows that hot air isn't just essential to airfield operations (the air, not the hotness necessarily) but to free marketing. How many times have we heard about standing room only or toilets that you have to pay for. All free marketing.
Just because they use stupid press releases for free marketing doesn't therefore mean that none of them are true. If that was the case then they would all be ignored anyway. Not that it's only random press releases that state this - O'Leary himself brings it up in more formal settings like proper interviews etc.

Ryanair are nowhere near starting long-haul/tranatlantic flights - they don't have any suitable aircraft on order.

A recent report said they would offer flights to the US for $10 "as soon as 2017".
I'm well aware they haven't got suitable aircraft on order, which according to them is the only major issue - finding twin aisle aircraft cheap enough. Perhaps using the word "soon" was too ambiguous but I see no logical reason why they couldn't start this decade.

Though regardless, as I said, Norwegian's business model is not identical to Ryanair's.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I have used Norwegian twice, once to OSL and once from AES. For a budget airline they're actually quite good. The clean leather seats are comfy, the interior is subtle and unlike most budgets the cabin crew don't continually bother you to either buy stuff or donate to their charity by waving a tin in your face.

If I was going to a destination they serve and there was a reasonable saving over the BA PE fare I'd give it a go. Last time I paid for my own ticket to go trans-Atlantic (Oct '12) I paid £800 return for multi city in PE. The big advantage is that I tend not to take long holidays and therefore have no need for checked luggage, the downside is LGW rather than LHR.

Having already used them I already have a FF account, albeit virtually worthless at present, and given my regular trips to Norway the thought of bagging free flights there on the back of a USA holiday is quite nice!

Overall I think this is good news and I hope it lasts, or even grows.

Last edited by BerksFlyer; Oct 17, 2013 at 10:33 am
Old Oct 17, 2013, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Is it me or have they not included APD in the fares or are they somehow (probably not) exempt from applying it or have they included it in the base fare (unusual if they do)

I was looking at New York and the 'taxes' are described as 'taxes account for' £124.30 and described as 'airport surcharge' with a separate £50 for fuel and these are the same for both Economy and Premium.

Premium should be attracting the higher rate of APD (£135)
£124.30 is clearly far more than the Airports charge though so presumably it's just included in that.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
I flew their 787 from OSL-LGW a few months ago in the premium cabin and it wasn't bad and would certainly be ok for a Westbound transatlantic. IFE was every bit as good as BA's. I tried sitting in their Y seat and that was a bit tight but apparently they have the same pitch as BA in the 787 which is also tight.

I think they might struggle on these routes, especially JFK given the huge competition. I wonder if AA might consider a LGW-JFK 757/767 service to wipe Norwegian out? They did this with STN a few years ago to get rid of Maxjet and Eos...
Old Oct 17, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
I flew their 787 from OSL-LGW a few months ago in the premium cabin and it wasn't bad and would certainly be ok for a Westbound transatlantic. IFE was every bit as good as BA's. I tried sitting in their Y seat and that was a bit tight but apparently they have the same pitch as BA in the 787 which is also tight.

I think they might struggle on these routes, especially JFK given the huge competition. I wonder if AA might consider a LGW-JFK 757/767 service to wipe Norwegian out? They did this with STN a few years ago to get rid of Maxjet and Eos...
Hiw did the premium seats on the Norwegian 787 compare to PE with BA?
Old Oct 17, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: Gold Mega Legend
their fares from Oslo/Stockholm to/from JFK are even cheaper.

Flying Xmas eve you can get a one way JFK>OSL for £90!
Old Oct 17, 2013, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by revan

Wow, that is what a friend paid for 3 people (Burger, fries + Beer) at TGI's in Oslo
Old Oct 17, 2013, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by callum9999
£124.30 is clearly far more than the Airports charge though so presumably it's just included in that.
That might explain the economy figure but the premium seat should be £60 odd quid more to reflect the double APD of economy
Old Oct 17, 2013, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by revan

I'm surprised they don't pay people to be on that flight. Norwegians do the Christmas thing on Dec 24th whilst Americans do it on Dec 25th. Mind you, if you do want to miss the whole shebang.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.