Reload this Page >

Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BotB
The Registered Traveller Scheme is intended to allow easier entry for regular visitors to the UK.

The scheme is available for regular travelers to the UK who have a passport issued by

Africa
Botswana, Namibia, Seychelles.

Asia
Brunei, Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region passports only), Japan, Macao Special Administrative Region, Malaysia, Maldives, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan (if your passport has a personal ID number on the photo page)

Europe
Andorra, Monaco, Vatican City State.

Middle East
Israel.

North America
Bahamas, Canada, Mexico, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, USA.

Oceania
Australia, Nauru, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga.

South and Central America
Argentina, Belize, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay.

* Visited the UK 4 times in the previous 24 months as a Business visitor, General visitor, Member of a diplomatic mission, Academic visitor, Entertainment or sports visitor, In transit - passing through the UK, Parent of a child in a UK school or Medical visitor. This generally includes tourists.

* Hold a valid visa in the categories Tiers 1, 2, 4 or 5 (excluding Creative/Sporting concession), Indefinite Leave to Remain, Naturalisation, UK Ancestry, Family member or spouse/partner. Note that EEA family permits, discretionary leave and leave outside the rules are excluded.

The application cost is £70 of which £50 is refunded if the application is rejected. Renewal costs £50 each year and changes of document details cost £20.

Registered Travellers are able to use the faster entry lanes (generally EU lines) when going through the UK Border at Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, East Midlands, Edinburgh, Gatwick (special registered traveller line), Glasgow, Heathrow, London City, Luton, Manchester, Southend and Stansted airports (or, alternatively, the ePassport gates if they have a biometric passport; while the ePassport gates at LHR T3 & T4 are being renovated the FastTrak lines can be used or the EU lines can be used). You will not have to fill in a landing card. (you do still need to carry your visa or BRP (biometric residence permit))

In addition, Registered Travellers are able to go through the UK Border at the Brussels, Lille and Paris Eurostar terminals without having to fill in a landing card.

Registered Travellers who hold a UK visa will not have their fingerprints checked at the UK Border.

Registration link: https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller
Some extra information from Gatwick Airport is here.
Older terms and conditions of the initial trial are recorded in post 78.
Print Wikipost

Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2015, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Sort of works

I got this earlier this year and have been to the UK 6 times since receiving it. The passport reading machines have never once actually accepted my passport and every time I have to go to the service desk. Still faster than the non EU line by a lot but not how it is supposed to work. Every time they blame a computer issue.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:33 am

They've added new signage for the egates in T5 LHR advising it's also for Registered travellers from various countries. However, I think it's confusing. Saw at least one foreign citizen from a RT country trying to use the egates and failing. I suspect she saw her passport country listed and just went into the queue.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by BotB
For those using Gatwick North terminal, the RT queue is on the extreme left hand side of the immigration queues and is a straight, narrow corridor direct to the border control officer. This is truly Gatwick 'premium' and I only wish LHR would also introduce this feature.
I didn't see it last time I was in Gatwick (and used the 'foreigners' queue instead, which was empty instead of the manual/egate EU queues as they were horrendous and probably a 10-15 min wait), but the lovely Border Agent pointed it out for next time. Will be great to use.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Apologies if this is answered up-thread.

My mother is a US passport holder, UK resident. Would she be eligible for this program? As a resident she doesn't seem to meet the visitor categories.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
One note for those using egates, if you're smiling in your passport photo, smile for the gate.

Cleared T5 easily today.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by rwoman
One note for those using egates, if you're smiling in your passport photo, smile for the gate.
This is why I do a Mona Lisa smile for my ID photos. No teeth showing to screw up the facial recognition software.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
This is why I do a Mona Lisa smile for my ID photos. No teeth showing to screw up the facial recognition software.
Yes, I had an American friend complaining recently that her RT was not working...asked if she was smiling in her passport pic...yep...
Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:14 pm

Does anyone know how they determine "transit - passing through the UK" for purposes of calculating the number of visits?

I have an upcoming trip where I'm transiting through LHR on my way to VIE and back. Theoretically, that's two more "visits" and if so, I could qualify for Registered Traveller. I'm wondering, however, how this actually works in practice. My husband just transited through LHR a couple of days ago and didn't go through Border Force, so how would they know that you had a "visit?" Do you have to exit fully and then go through immigration as though you were actually going to enter the UK?

Thanks!
Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Buster
Does anyone know how they determine "transit - passing through the UK" for purposes of calculating the number of visits?
A transit is not a visit. You'd have to actually pass through immigration, walk street side, go upstairs to check in and through security again if you wanted it to count as a visit.

Last edited by stimpy; Dec 16, 2015 at 7:31 am
Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by swag
Apologies if this is answered up-thread.

My mother is a US passport holder, UK resident. Would she be eligible for this program? As a resident she doesn't seem to meet the visitor categories.
In case this hasn't been answered elsewhere (or yet)...

Yes, she would be eligible. I am in the same situation, although Canadian passport.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Updates

Registered Traveller is now available at Luton as well as at Birmingham, Edinburgh, Gatwick, Glasgow, Heathrow, London City, Manchester, Stansted airports and at the international rail terminals at Paris, Brussels and Lille.

From 14 December 2015 the service will also be available at East Midlands airport.

Heathrow improvements

To improve passenger experience at Heathrow we are undertaking significant investment to expand the number of ePassport gates available. Members travelling through Heathrow Terminal 5 may already have noticed there are 15 new ePassport gates.

We are also investing in new ePassport gates at Heathrow Terminals 3 and 4. The work to install 25 new gates will start in the New Year and be complete by the summer. During this time Registered Travellers will not be able to use the ePassport gates but can still choose to use the UK/EU lanes.

To minimise any inconvenience while the works take place Registered Travellers will be able to use the Fast Track lanes at Terminal 3 and 4. You will just need to show evidence that you are a member.

Changes at Gatwick from 4 Jan 2016

The dedicated Registered Traveller lanes will no longer be in operation from Monday 4 January 2016. Members can use the UK/EU lanes at Gatwick North and South and if you have a biometric passport you can also use the ePassport gates at both terminals.

Border Force and Gatwick Airport are investing to install new ePassport gates at Gatwick North, building on the 15 new gates available at Gatwick South.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:19 am
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Received the same email as stimpy yesterday, good to see the additions coming, however, disappointed that the LGW dedicated lane is going as I don't have a biometric passport yet!

Also, interesting to note the following comment on the bottom of the email about need to carry proof with you:

Avoid any delays: always carry evidence of your immigration status

When using the UK/EU lanes you may be asked to show your entry clearance, visa, biometric residence permit, or permission conferred in an old passport. Carrying evidence will ensure that you avoid any unnecessary delays at the border.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BotB
Avoid any delays: always carry evidence of your immigration status

When using the UK/EU lanes you may be asked to show your entry clearance, visa, biometric residence permit, or permission conferred in an old passport. Carrying evidence will ensure that you avoid any unnecessary delays at the border.
I think roughly 60% of the time when I end up needing to see an agent, they ask to see my visa. As it's a small, credit card-sized card, I just keep it in my wallet.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:25 am
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rwoman
I think roughly 60% of the time when I end up needing to see an agent, they ask to see my visa. As it's a small, credit card-sized card, I just keep it in my wallet.
That would be convenient ^ (the small credit card sized card)...As a Canadian that has a passport issued before Canada decided to join the biometric queue I have no alternative but to see border force agent and in the past it was always a bit hit and miss regarding the need for showing my ILR in a previous passport so I was wondering if it was required or not...(same as landing cards)...it seems that as the system gets more use and people are more familiar with it, the landing card issue has resolved (not needed) but the visa or ILR in previous passport was still an unknown...at least this bit of info (to me at least) lets me know I do indeed need to bring my old passport with me to show it (if needed).

Hope that clarifies things, a great system IMO and getting better (more ports, more channels to use) all the time. ^
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold
Extra Pages Issue

Anyone else have an experience with the e-passport machine rejecting a passport (US in my case) post-adding additional pages? I have 3 X supplemental pages in my passport, so it's more like a novel at this point - and sometimes have issues getting the machine to read it correctly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.