Wiki Posts
Search

Who uses the BAE shuttle flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2013, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver
There's also the fleet of private planes that takes staff from LAS to "Area 51"
Old Jun 22, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Just for the record as its mentioned further up thread, but Filton is no longer an operational airport.

All that remains is the police and ambo service air support units.

That's not to say that all sorts of production don't still take place, but the only thing Landing at Filton in future will be houses Etc !

cs
Old Jun 23, 2013, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Only guessing but it could be a mix of workers who have to oversee certain things at both ends and also to ship some parts/equipment.

If BAE own the airports then it's probably a cheap way of doing it.
Correct. My sister-in-law's husband works in shipping at Warton and sometimes takes the inter-company flights. My sister in law used to work in purchasing between Samlesbury and Warton and sometimes needed to meet suppliers on a group purchasing basis at other sites and she has taken that flight on more than one occasion. My sister and her husband's best friend was a senior director for the company and has taken the flight on more than one occasion. Finally my brother-in-law was also a director for the company and worked for many years out of Kuala Lumpur but he took the flight once or twice before relocation. I am told the flight was always full. Directors of course had first refusal.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Jun 23, 2013 at 3:30 pm
Old Jun 23, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
[cynical capitalist]
BAe is an ex-public sector outfit. We have a "wonderful" scheme in the UK called TUPE which probably requires the old BAe guard to have someone wipe their arse with warmed, quilted Andrex, never mind take a train somewhere. I still fail to believe - having worked for big companies split across sites - that having private planes to shuttle middle managers around en masse is a necessity when in the real world we work effectively with a telephone.
[/cynical capitalist]
And video conferencing -and Skype etc.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
In a similar vein I was visiting CEG last year and noticed that bmi were subcontracted to fly from CEG to TLS and FZO at that time.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
[cynical capitalist]
BAe is an ex-public sector outfit. We have a "wonderful" scheme in the UK called TUPE which probably requires the old BAe guard to have someone wipe their arse with warmed, quilted Andrex, never mind take a train somewhere. I still fail to believe - having worked for big companies split across sites - that having private planes to shuttle middle managers around en masse is a necessity when in the real world we work effectively with a telephone.
[/cynical capitalist]
And no doubt much is achieved on the telephone, video conference, in Costa Coffee (which is where I do a lot of my meetings) etc. But I do have to meet in person other people and most business people I know also have to do that. I should imagine most people on this board fully understand that - which is why they are frequent flyers in the first place. I very much doubt that, after many years in the private sector, there are many senior BAe employees left who owe their job or status to the TUPE regulations, daft as they may be.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by gosha83
I'm sure the number crunchers at BAe have done the cost-benefit analysis. Running a few flights to private airfields on daily basis is probably a lot more efficient than restructuring a giant company to accommodate a decrease in travel between the two places.
Cost/benefit analyis on corporate aircraft always requires significant amounts of goodwill and input massage to get the "desired" result. BAE has something of a head start in its ownership of the aircaft and control of other operating costs.

Once the company has decided to run what is, essentially, its own airline, flights will be filled:
  • to support demand forecasts
  • to lower unit costs
i.e. an operating profile that would quickly put a commercial carrier out of business.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:55 am

Please think outside the box here...

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
And video conferencing -and Skype etc.
It’s not just BAE Systems that use these flights, other related companies with interests in BAE etc can book a seat, like QinetiQ, MOD, DSTL, Thales... it is very feasible that 50 people a day might need to travel around 4 or 5 major sites who in total employ over 35000. And if you consider the other organisations eligible to use the service, you are looking at over 90000 employees. That is 0.05% travel rate??

Also you can’t have design assessments and inspections from the designers across Skype or a telephone when you need to see the physical object.

Also you have to remember the top secret nature of these meetings. They must be delivered through very secure mediums if done remotely and this is difficult and expensive. UK and other national security is at stake.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tomatosoup
It’s not just BAE Systems that use these flights, other related companies with interests in BAE etc can book a seat, like QinetiQ, MOD, DSTL, Thales... it is very feasible that 50 people a day might need to travel around 4 or 5 major sites who in total employ over 35000. And if you consider the other organisations eligible to use the service, you are looking at over 90000 employees. That is 0.05% travel rate??
Also you can’t have design assessments and inspections from the designers across Skype or a telephone when you need to see the physical object.
Also you have to remember the top secret nature of these meetings. They must be delivered through very secure mediums if done remotely and this is difficult and expensive. UK and other national security is at stake.
Full disclosure - I have family and close friends that have and still work at BAE - one very senior who took these flights. I absolutely agree there are times when face to face meetings etc and all the reasons you give are valid. Equally - I know from insider info that not every trip taken is absolutely necessary.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:15 am

“you have to remember the top secret nature of these meetings”

BAE Systems does a lot of different things. Half of these meetings will be about whether you should have blue backgrounds to the annual report or green ones.

People on FT (including me) like to pretend their jetting around is Very Important Stuff but there’s a lot of useless toss going on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.