Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Cheltenham or Stratford-on-Avon: which for walking & relaxing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2013, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan

We want to build a "decompress" day into a trip, and plan to spend a few nights somewhere in the Cotswolds. For one day, we don't want to drive anywhere - just walk about and see the town.

We've narrowed it down to Cheltenham or Stratford-on-Avon (which has the lead b/c of the availability of RSC for a show).

Can anyone who knows either town comment on whether one is otherwise better for what we want? thx.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't know them both at all well but we did visit them on out last trip to the UK so from a tourists eye......
I actually found Stratford to be a more relaxing place to walk about in compared to Cheltenham....maybe it was the river. Should be said it wasn't high season so it was probably quieter than I imagine it normally would be. Cheltenham is nice but the day we were there it was rather busy so I didn't find it particularly relaxing.....although the wife enjoyed the shops.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
If you want a decompress day in the cotswolds, then I'd say stay in the middle of the cotswolds, not in a large town on the fringes! This is especially true if it's high season or at the weekend as you'll end up with the worst of all worlds - a less than perfect tourism infrastructure that creaks under the weight of day-trippers (especially in Stratford).
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
I know you said you don't want to drive anywhere, but if you visit Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwick is only a short distance away. Warwick town is smaller, and less touristy (busy) but is still a nice place for a stroll. There is also Warwick Castle, which is well worth a visit.

At Stratford, you can rent boats and take a trip on the river. There are also some nearby National Trust properties - from memory where Shakespeare lived, and another where his wife grew up.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:58 am

In Stratford, I'd recommend lunch at the Dirty Duck pub (aka The Black Swan) - a great place by the river but conveniently away from the hordes of tourists.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.