Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dublin - Whistlestop Tour and Preclearance Advice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2012, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Note that sunrise is about 8am in October as well...
Old Sep 9, 2012, 3:11 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Like I say, I'm from the West of Scotland. Darkness, rain? We call that Summer!

I've gone for the sketchy area after all - the rate is too good to pass up, and there's a dublinbike stand outside (and one a street away where you can get the 3-day pass). I reckon I'll cope...

Thanks all for the advice (even though I haven't followed all of it...) I'm cobbling together a bike route I have a good chance of being able to follow...
Old Sep 9, 2012, 6:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Note that sunrise is about 8am in October as well...
Sunrise isn't far off 0800 in London in October either. So that's a bit of a stretch to put stut off his travels .
Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Sunrise isn't far off 0800 in London in October either. So that's a bit of a stretch to put stut off his travels .
Oct 15th
Dublin sunrise 7.52am
London sunrise 7.25am

next?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by stut

And a bit of rain won't put me off - I'm from the West of Scotland...
So that's where Biggleswade is!

What night will you be arriving in DUB? Maybe we'll see you at the airport.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Actually, no, it's about 45 miles north of London. But there does seem to be a disproportionate number of Scots in the town. It's a place that doesn't really seem to know where it is - not quite the SE, not quite East Anglia, not quite the South Midlands. And I think it's quite happy like that.

Will be arriving in DUB on the 11th, leaving on the 12th.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 5:36 am

The area at the top of O'Connell street is not so bad; no-one will mistake it for Knightsbridge, but it's fine; a bit squalid, but not dangerous. One of Dublin's very top restaurants is right there (Chapter One, on Parnell Square), just to give a bit of context.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Here's a reasonable route you could take by bike - no need to follow the exact streets, but work out somewhere that goes through a few of these areas:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=A...14,15&t=m&z=14
Old Sep 12, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Plenty of good advice upthread; I too would have suggested a hotel south of the river, but the die is now cast. I would be cautious wandering round the O'Connell St. area late at night - just keep your wits about ye. The area can be dangerous if you don't. Not in the Lagos kinda way, more in the Gorbals way.

The Dublin bikes route suggested is pretty good also, though St. Stephen's Green won't be open at either hour - I do suggest a morning tour, rather than the evening for all sorts of reasons.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 4:55 am
Original Poster

star_world - wow, that's superb, thankyou! I'll certainly give that a go.

And yes, I would have stayed south of the river (believe me, I wasn't ignoring advice) but I'm being pretty tight on this trip, and a €40 rate for a hotel with decent TA reviews, albeit on the wrong side of the tracks, is good enough for me.

So, if I'm wandering in the early morning rather then the evening, what's a decent pub to retreat to where I won't feel ridiculously out of place as a non-drinker?

(And thanks all again, I love how this forum always comes up with such good answers!)
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, if I'm wandering in the early morning rather then the evening, what's a decent pub to retreat to where I won't feel ridiculously out of place as a non-drinker?
I'm interested as to what the locals will say on this but if you don't land until 1035pm, you aren't going to be in the hotel much before 1130pm and I believe this is when they call last orders.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Ah, good point, I was forgetting it was a Thursday.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Thanks UAPEF! Will certainly do some of that wandering.

If that hotel's in one of the les salubrious parts of the city centre, what would you say would be a better location? There's certainly no lack of choice on an October Thursday evening...
If you can stay somewhere near St. Stephen's Green, that would be ideal - it's a beautiful area, with lots of hotels, and near the bustle of Grafton Street.

Also, the public bus to the airport is very nearby.

EDIT: Ah, I missed the post about the hotel being chosen. Well, at any rate the area I mentioned is certainly worth a stroll or bike ride.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by colmc
As for pre-clearance I'd be there approximately 75-60 minutes minimum or so before the flight. There are a couple of US bound flights at that time pre-clearing so it can be a crapshoot. You may breeze through, you may be held up for a while.
Good advice. I've pre-cleared twice at DUB, once was a breeze with virtually no queue, the next time was around 45 minutes.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Well, I'll reiterate my thanks to all those on this thread, and in particular to star_world, whose excellent map gave me a great self-guided cycle tour of the city. The drunkenness around me was still at "happy drunk" stage, so it was a good atmosphere all round, and I feel I've got a great flavour for the place despite the short time and unsociable hours...

The hotel is impressive for the price and the location seems fine - I've lived in worse. Well, that was until I returned to see the Guards and an ambulance outside the pub next door...

The Dublinbikes worked extremely well - it's effectively identical to the Vélib scheme - and I'm now suitably knackered to sleep on my flight to ORD tomorrow. May get up early for a crack-of-dawn wander too. Goodnight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.